Givi shield, Beadrider, Bearcat! - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Givi shield, Beadrider, Bearcat!

Hi all,
I'll go ahead & apologize beforehand if this goes a bit long; I rode my new 2013 400 home Saturday, have so far bought the 3 items mentioned above and will be weighing in on all of them here. I've had maybe 15 bikes of all sorts over the last 4 or 5 decades and have farkled all of 'em, so this isn't exactly new territory for me.
First, the Beadrider: we have an absolute winner, especially here in Houston's (in)famous summers. From a miasmic swamp "down there" to relatively fresh & sweat-free, how is that not a huge impovement? Plus it's not bumpy or weird-feeling (I don't see how, but trust me). Between April and November I won't be without this little gem.
Next, the Givi 266DT shield: at 6', I look over it not thru it when I'm in a pretty much correct (meaning sit up straight, young man) position, which for me is more comfy than slouching with my shoulders forward and my back impersonating the letter "C". The stock shield had wind slamming me dead in the face; I'm sure I looked like a bobble-head doll anywhere north of 15 MPH. No mas, no mas, all is well in Windprotectionville. But speaking of riding position, we come now to:
Bearcat's backrest. Now I like a comfy backrest as much as anyone, I've had a half dozen over the years. This is a nice piece of work and the service, support and communication are top-notch. So it just has to be me, but the darned thing is too far back; for me to use it, I have to scoot way back onto a portion of the seat that's actually sloped forward (even with my AirHawk & Beadrider helping, this is not comfortable) and with my legs straight out in front of me (this is not only uncomfy, it's actually work). And the bars are nearly unreachable. I actually like sitting about in the middle of the seat; I have plenty of leg-&-knee room and my arms are comfortably bent while holding the bars. And there's that nice backrest...2 or 3 inches behind my back, doing me zero good. As I mentioned, I'm of fairly "normal" proportions with the possible exception that, even at 60, I'm probably not even 10" thick from navel straight back to spine: 3 nights a week in the gym and 3 more in Zumba dance will do that to you, I guess. Whatever, I see pics of folks no taller (& many shorter) than me who are happily perched against this great backrest while holding the bars with their arms comfortably bent; and almost without fail, these folks appear a bit more, um..."girthsome" than I'll ever be; I'm just never (I know, never say never) gonna have enough back-fat to reach a backrest that's that far away from me, lol. I asked Bearcat about how to bring the thing forward, he told me it's not really designed to come forward much, as it'll lose support, and I believe him (besides, the bars that slide into the seat are unpainted and singularly unattractive). So I'm gonna leave it all the way back and hunt around now for some sort of cushion or something that'll act to thicken the backrest pad by a couple inches. (I have an old "Aqua-Aire" cushion and cover that, while being a lousy motorcycle seat cushion, slides over the Bearcat and a-l-m-o-s-t reaches my back...but you wouldn't believe how cheesy it looks, lol!).
So all 3 of these products are well-made and worth the dough I've spent and I highly recommened all of them, even if I have to do some finagling to make the Bearcat work for my particular physique and position preference.
Thanks for letting me go on & on. Now...time to scoot!
JB
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.