Litezupp 90 Degree led lamp Review - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to TechArtGuy
Litezupp 90 Degree led lamp Review

With the ongoing search for those of us attempting to find suitable led lamps in a vast ocean of cheap and unreliable replacements it is difficult to not end up disappointed with the end results. But, there are times when that lighthouse can be seen through the fog before running aground on rocky shores.

Recently there was a lamp brought to our attention In this thread viewtopic.php?p=426449#p426449

The developer of this lamp is Litezupp Industries, LLC ( http://www.litezupp.com) manufactured in Keller, Texas.

Following the link to the site brings you to their homepage with an image of the two style lamps they currently have available. First impressions is the obvious design of the lamp is a bit different than most any you normally see either in the auto parts stores or surfing around on the web. Well, at the very least that I've seen so far.

They come in two styles, either straight or at a 90 degree orientation, 1156 or 1157 bases in red, amber or white. The red version used for this review uses four of the LXML-PD01-0030 LuxeonŽ Rebel Red high power LEDs (Link) arranged in series emitting at 627 nm (red) typical. The four leds are mounted to a pcb board recessed in a finely machined aluminum heat sink. This is good as rebels are known for outputting a great deal of heat having built assemblies using them myself. See Link. One thing to note of course when selecting led lamps is that you have to choose the color of led to the color of lens it is going behind. Red for red, amber for amber, etc. In the case of clear lenses of course you simply choose the color for it's intended purpose. But, onward.......

According to the website the lamps draw 250 milliamps. Though no specification is made it's assumed that is for full brightness mode (during braking). In conversing with the developers of this lamp, the target draw for these are 300ma @ 12.6v during braking. About 3.8 watts. and 60 ma @ 12.6v regular running. Approx 3/4 of the wattage. Of course, cycle and automotive applications are less than ideal with system voltages varying at different rpms. But for simplicity's sake, we can likely stick to the 12v range.

That being said, it's quite an improvment over the omni-directional smd based lamps I've been using in terms of efficiency. Of course efficiency is nothing without asking the question, "Is it bright enough?". So, as a comparison, Ledlight.com's 27 smd led lamp is being used for the combatant on the right tail light.

Because of the design of our burg's taillights having the bulb oriented vertically, the 90 degree version was selected for fitment. The real difference with this bulb aside from the componentry is that it's a unidirectional lamp so it doesn't fill the reflector but instead normally emits all of it's output directly out the lens. This of course will cause a more spotty appearance to the taillights with the output being more centralized to a singular bright spot. However, don't let that fool you......

The lamp is quite bright and will certainly leave you running around with spots staring at it too closely with the 100 plus lumens all 4 rebels are emitting. And remember, it's red light being shown through a red lens so very little light gets absorbed.

The 650's however have a bit more flexibility with this lamp since the sockets are not fixated to have the bulb pointing to the rear of the bike but instead can be turned 180 degrees and bounce the light right off the reflector for a bit more dispersed effect out of the brake lights. Unfortunatly, the 400's socket configuration only allows for it to be oriented at the reflector and the closeness of the socket to the relfector means much of the light gets blocked by the bulb itself. However, the lamp is available to be manufactured on a per order basis with the base rotated 180 degrees so as to have the lamp shining straight out the lens. This still works well as seen in the photos above and below but it's rather limiting as far as orientation preferences due to this. At any rate, onward....

The overall appearance to the viewer changes quite a bit from a centralized spot to much more of a flood of intense red light with it reversed 180 degees. I had the camera set to -2 exposure compensation and a 100 ISO for all these shots and it still managed to overload the camera in braking mode as seen from the darker comparison photo between modes.

So, now for a more direct comparison of the lamps. Each lamp was placed in a single socket with all other lights on the bike extinguished so as to get as close to an accurate comparison as possible. The following two shows the ledlight.com's lamp on left, litezupp lamp on right oriented towards the rear. Not too much noticeable difference between the two in run mode aside from slightly brighter focal point from the litezupp lamp.

Braking shows where the Litezupp lamp pulls ahead in exposing more of the area behind the bike per it's output.

With the Litezupp lamp rotated 180 degrees towards the reflector, the effects become a bit more pronounced in run mode.

And a bit more in brake......

So now the relative brightness is known. But how does it compare in the field? Since heat was obviously a concern with the overall construction it was best to take a ride and hope it didn't melt the lens assembly or otherwise. Roughly a two hour ride was spent testing the heat dissipation qualities of the lamp and upon arriving back at the my home I left the bike running and pulled the lamp to see just how hot it had gotten. Needless to say I was able to hold it in my hand without flinching so it passed that test with flying colors. One thing I had observed with another led package that had been installed in my friend's GS500F was that it was fine when in running mode but quickly overheated when in brake mode and began flickering intermintantly. So, to test this lamp against this to determine the outcome I left the bike running and bungy coorded the brake lever so that the brake lights would stay on. I left it in this condition for the better part of a half hour after the ride. I figured, if anything would cause this lamp to fail would be this. Once again, it did not faulter in it's operation.

So, the conclusion of all this? Though led replacment lamps may not equal to tearing apart your reflector and spanning the entire surface area with an led array, this one takes the cake on the best lamp I've seen as a direct replacment for intensity. A bit pricey at $29.95 Each (Link) but well worth it if you want the brightness you're looking for without the hassle of the above sentence.

Additional photos found here -> LInk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two Tone PUFFY seat, Rostra Cruise Control, Projector HID headlights, Tour Tank, Givi E21 Side panniers, passenger extensions, Izuzu backrest, chrome handbars, Powder coated wheels and calipers, DC sport exhaust mod (welded) w/baffle, V3 triton switchback turns, RGB ground effects lighting

- Soon to be offering basic maintenance services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to TechArtGuy
Update to litezupp lamps

I have been in contact with the developers of the LiteZupp lamps and they recently disclosed a few updates to their product line. The updates included a switch to a Luxeon Z series led over the prior Rebels that were utilized and a change in the housing itself to allow for the new chip.

The technical difference between this being the LXZ1-PD01 chip currently in use emits at 620nm-645nm between 56-60 lm. The older LXML-PD01-0030 Rebel chip has the same wavelength range but with a smaller flux range of 30-38 lm.

Viewing angles are also wider with the LXZ1-PD01 with a relative intensity of 80% at 60 degress over 60% with the rebels. To better accommodate that wider viewing angle the sides of the housing were notched out to help in avoiding blocking the emitted light.

What does this all mean? Well simply put roughly a 70% increase in output in a broader pattern so it should perform even better than the previous model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Z vs Classic.jpg (55.2 KB, 8 views)

Two Tone PUFFY seat, Rostra Cruise Control, Projector HID headlights, Tour Tank, Givi E21 Side panniers, passenger extensions, Izuzu backrest, chrome handbars, Powder coated wheels and calipers, DC sport exhaust mod (welded) w/baffle, V3 triton switchback turns, RGB ground effects lighting

- Soon to be offering basic maintenance services.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.