It's QM fault - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

It's QM fault

In the past 3 years and 9 tires of Burgman ownership, I 've had 3 flat tires. The most recent was last week. So far there've been 2 fronts and one rear. What a PITA. When I had the last rear tire issue, I tried some green crap with completely bogus results. Watching the stuff squirt out the hole (caused by a staple so it wasn't particularly big) had little entertainment value and all it did was totally mess up the rim. It was pretty difficult to clean off. Overall, a bad customer experience. Really bad.

A member on here (QM) has touted Ultraseal in the past and, based on his recommendations as well as my extreme desire to forestall future flats, I decided to give it a try. I checked the web and saw mostly positive reviews and a couple of not so good. I called the company in L.A., CA To get their recommendation for use in a Burgman. Took > 5 days to get it (not bad coast to coast UPS). It typically takes 10 days for me to get parts from the upper Midwest. After 5 grumpy days driving to work, the stuff arrives on Friday. I read enough of the instructions to find out how much and how to measure (the kit I bought came with a handy little 1 oz /stroke hand pump) and hooked it up to my tire.

This stuff is like magic. Where my last experience resulted in a squirting green mess this stuff made a little blue bump and that was it. Couldn't take the scooter out so I let it sit like that overnight, In the morning, the same little blue bump was there. Lost no more pressure. I'm totally impressed. If all it does is prevent punctures from leaving me on the side of the road, it'll pay for itself twice over. If it does any of the other claims, that's just gravy.

When I called Ultraseal I talked to Liz the owner. She likes to talk and during our conversation I discovered that this stuff is supposed to seal punctures as they happen. It may seal existing punctures 'on tires in good condition'. The good condition thing is important. The product works best when the rubber has substantially new characteristics. It's not a miracle cure for dry rotted, nasty old tires. It may delay the onset of rot. Since I go through 2 rear and one front a year this is not a big concern of mine. So, in a test sample of one, I rate this stuff a huge success. If someone in the Tampa/St Pete area wants to give this a try, leave me PM, we may be able to work something out.

I have no interest in this company other than a desire to promote something that does what it says. So far.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Super Poster

Garage
I'm curious ... it appears you have to buy both the solution and the tools to pump the solution into the tire ... but their website doesn't mention any prices. Can you provide insight? Also, noting the problem with the "green stuff" making a mess of your rim, does this stuff do the same? In other words, when its time to replace your current tire, a you going to have difficulty getting it off the rim and/or cleaning up the rim.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

As for cleaning, I'll let you know in a month or so. I made a slight mess during installation in my car tires and clean up was a snap with a damp paper towel. According to the manufacturer (and QM I believe) it should be simple soap and water cleanup of the rim.

When you place your order you get the 'kit' which comes with a little hand pump. much like a handsoap dispenser. That is unless you opt for larger quantities like 5 gal or 250 gal. Retail for the 1 gallon kit is $59.95 shipping will be about $16.
thebrauns85 likes this.

94K and counting.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

FYI - shelf life is 5 years. 1 gal is enough to do about 10 rear tires and 4 fronts which is about 5 years for me. So I figured it was a worthwhile expense. If you do less mileage, you'll want to get together some friends or put this in your car tires as well. 1 gal will do about 8 car tires (depending on size). Ultraseal.com has tire size charts to tell you how much you'll need for different size tires.

94K and counting.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Just called the factory and found out the price I got (which I thought was a 'special' price) pretty much available. I paid $44 per gallon for the kit. So the price is something between $44 and $60 (the higher price came from another retailer's advertised price).

94K and counting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Noticed today that I had picked up a sharp object in my rear tire. Ultraseal did just what it was supposed to do and no air escaped during this test. So this product is 2 for 2 so far in the month and a half I've been using it.

94K and counting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Knocking loudly on wood, I have not had a "damaged tire" flat on any two-wheeler I have owned in over 20 years; maybe more but that's as far back as I can remember. On the 4-wheeled vehicles I had one 1-1/2 years ago on the SL500 with a drywall screw in the right rear (while we were renovating the house we now have) and IIRC the wife's Highlander had one 5 or more years back.

I think rural/semi-rural roads are inherently "cleaner" that city streets and it's 8 to 10 miles from here to anywhere...

-cliff knight-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

I think my scooter tires are magnetic. Of the 10 tires I've had on the Burg in 3 1/2 years, 4 have found nails. Yesterday's was a 3/32 drill bit. On my cars not so much. But I figure this Ultraseal stuff will easily pay for itself. It also seems to make the tire last longer. The maker suggested this would be the case but I figured that was just 'the pitch'. It does appear that I'll get roughly 25% better life out of this current set of tires. Maybe due to consistently correct tire pressure.

94K and counting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
I think my scooter tires are magnetic. Of the 10 tires I've had on the Burg in 3 1/2 years, 4 have found nails. Yesterday's was a 3/32 drill bit. On my cars not so much. But I figure this Ultraseal stuff will easily pay for itself. It also seems to make the tire last longer. The maker suggested this would be the case but I figured that was just 'the pitch'. It does appear that I'll get roughly 25% better life out of this current set of tires. Maybe due to consistently correct tire pressure.

Where do you ride on the road. In the centre on the edge of in the 4 wheel vehicle tracks? The first two may have more junk on them, the wheel tracks are "swept" by many others. Maybe that is the answer.

When I see the push bike riders, they have many punctures as they are mostly on the shoulder.

The material you are using sounds like good stuff. Prevention being better than cure
.tmid_modified { background: #E4F1FD !important; border: 1px solid #3385D6 !important; } .tmid_modifying { background: #E4F1FD !important; } .tmid_popoutblock { display: table; position: absolute; top: 1px; left: 1px; visibility: hidden; width: 120px; height: 40px; background-color: #FFFFFF; z-index: 9999; color: #666666; font-size: 16px; box-shadow: 0px 5px 10px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25); text-shadow: 1px 0px 0px rgba(170, 170, 170, 1); }.tmid_formFillHint { display: table-cell; vertical-align: middle; font-size: 16px; }.tmid_icon { width: 24px; height: 24px; }.tmid_popoutblockicon { display: table-cell; vertical-align: middle; width: 24px; height: 24px; padding: 8px 8px 8px 8px; }
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
I've been using RideOn in my motorcycle tires for several years, zero flats. I've not yet used anything in my Burgman tires, but will in the Spring. I'm wondering how Ultraseal compares to RideOn. I've used that green colored "Slime" in my ATV tires, but never motorcycle or scooter.

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) SOLD
2014 Burgman UH200 (Baby Burgman) 1000 miles
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.