Fatality Map - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Fatality Map

I found this nice map:

http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-usa#

that shows vehicle fatalities (motorcycle in yellow) across the United States. Check out your area. Funny that, in my area, many of the intersections I consider dangerous have a fatality. One more reason to be extra alert when crossing (or, if feasible, avoid) those intersections.

It's easy to find the "Tail of the Dragon." What's scary is that the map just shows fatalities. Injuries are far more common.

All my favorite twisty mountain roads are pretty clear. I hope to not add a data point myself! I'm not saying those roads, by themselves are any safer, but I am trying to say that the data at least means I am less likely to encounter an idiot that could low-side and take me out on the other roads I like that are just as nice (or nicer). One more reason to avoid the tail or to experience it during off-peak times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tail.JPG (8.5 KB, 1626 views)

Motorcycle **** is riding a loud, heavy cruiser shoed with a car tire on the uninspiring interstate highway system. I chose something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Turbo Poster

Re: Fatality Map

I would agree that the "tail" is better experienced off season. I've not been there, just heresay, but some of the videos show traffic "in season" and It looks heavy enough to be more dangerous. Have fun and ride safe whenever you go!

Wes

'05 400 in Stealth Silver-gone
2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S in Yellow
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Insane Poster

I looked at the Blue Ridge Parkway not much for cars or cycles. With all of the traffic I would think otherwise but the folks that ride that road are not **** bent to see how fast they can go they enjoy the ride.

From the hills of Tennessee
Welcome to another day the Lord has made
2009 White Burgman 400

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Insane Poster

I pulled up the Ortaga Highway between Lake Elsinore & the coast. No suprise there, almost solid orange.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Holy cow you are right!

Motorcycle **** is riding a loud, heavy cruiser shoed with a car tire on the uninspiring interstate highway system. I chose something else.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Insane Poster

Looks like east of the Mississippi is a dangerous place to be on the roads period.

ScooteReno aka Steve-a-Reno
Basically Stock
Sheepskin Pelt
2.1 MP3 Stereo
Averaging 70mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Insane Poster

Garage

It would be interesting to know the general category of the motorcycle involved in the accidents also.
Just an observation...
  • The roads like the Dragon are lined with accidents from what everyone has written. Since riders come from all over, just to say they've ridden it, I'd think many of the accidents would be on cruisers. They would have a better chance of overriding their capabilities...both for the rider and the bike. The sports bike riders probably would be well within their bike's capabilities and the traffic would tend to keep them riding slower.[/*:m:1qt3k5hm]
  • I was surprised to find the roads around here don't show fatalities in the curvy portions. The fatalities shown on the typical roads I've taken on day trips are in the straights. My guess is these are the sports bikes and the riders are trying to pass a long string of cars. It's typical rider behavior and one you read about in the newspapers of another rider killed.[/*:m:1qt3k5hm]
  • Another typical behavior on the straights around here, is the zoom-splat who is doing over 100 when he hits a car in a 35-45 mph speed zone. Hopefully, only the zoom-splat is killed. Sometimes they ride right inside the car.[/*:m:1qt3k5hm]
  • Both behaviors could be the reason the accidents in the Puget Sound area are showing up in the straights. (Not counting the numerous accidents that appear like they are on side roads with intersections.)[/*:m:1qt3k5hm]

On one of the trips this past summer that I took to the North Cascades Highway, I left early in the morning. Traffic was light till I turned around to go home. I was amazed at how many people were on the road! I was surprised I wasn't killed either!! The biggest hazard were the motorcycles. There were packs of 15 or so crotch-rockets working their way through packed traffic. They'd jump out to pass where there wasn't room, counting on the cars to give them the space (one bike's worth, since the cars were usually tail-gating...and didn't back off to give the jerks any space) to get back in at the last minute. (And no, I felt absolutely no kinship to any of them to consider giving them a wave ) If I remember correctly, there were two accidents that day involving motorcycles.

I do find it interesting to look at the data and imagine the risk potential on the roads I travel.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder — to — 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo
The biggest hazard were the motorcycles. There were packs of 15 or so crotch-rockets working their way through packed traffic. They'd jump out to pass where there wasn't room, counting on the cars to give them the space (one bike's worth, since the cars were usually tail-gating...and didn't back off to give the jerks any space) to get back in at the last minute. (And no, I felt absolutely no kinship to any of them to consider giving them a wave ) If I remember correctly, there were two accidents that day involving motorcycles.

I do find it interesting to look at the data and imagine the risk potential on the roads I travel.

Chris
I agree. We are our own worst enemies.
I stopped doing group rides years ago. I have elaborated this before, and I dont mean to
offend people, just an opinion . . . I feel new sportbike culture has Jersey Shore'd motorcycling.
In my many group rides, HD guys werent too confidence inspiring, but not dangerous, scooter guys were
OK when they were sober, but the sportbike guys were one undesirable situation after the other. Insurance
statistics bear their idiocy out. A few years ago, my insurance provider stated some crazy number of
payouts on sportbikes within the first 90 days of ownership. I wouldnt be surprised to see the insurance
industry lobbying for graduated licenses in the future.

LM in KY

Red Zepplin
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Yeah, I do think the sport bike culture has done just as much damage, if not more, than the loud pipe culture to motorcycling's image.

I have to admit that I was surprised at some of the ages on the map. You can reasonably be sure that most of the older riders weren't on zoom splats (I like that).

I wish you could read more into the data too!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Insane Poster

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail
...You can reasonably be sure that most of the older riders weren't on zoom splats (I like that)...
I wouldn't go that far. I have a friend at work with a 2006 or 2007 FZ1. He's about 62, and maybe has 3000 miles on the bike. If you ask him, he's a motorcycle rider. But anyone with that few of miles with that many years on the bike is a hazard. On top of that, when he does ride the bike to work...maybe once or twice a year now...he tells me how great it felt at 85 mph. Speed limit is 60 mph.

I read just about every post here as a mod, and I've read too many of members here who brag about how they get to 100 mph, sometimes on each ride at least once. A Burgman isn't a zoom-splat bike, but it'll suffice in a pinch.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder — to — 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.