LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
Good thing we ride scooters!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink...,4414821.story

What an idiot
Substitute "guns" for "motorcycles" and it is equally as ridiculous.

In fact, you can substitute virtually ANYTHING in for "motorcycles" and it is ridiculous. The nature of banning something is ridiculous by nature, excepting cases where an extraordinary case can be made.

Too many times, someone basically makes the case, "I have interest in X, and see no need for X, therefore X should be banned", rather than saying "I don't need X, therefore I will not get X".
gec343 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Super Poster

While we're at it, lets ban pedestrians too--no airbags, no hood, no bumpers, no tin roof over their heads--how **!@# vulnerable is it possible in life to get?
ducati14 and BurgyBill like this.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 08-23-2016 at 03:04 PM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
In fact, you can substitute virtually ANYTHING in for "motorcycles" and it is ridiculous.
I tried substituting desk chairs for motorcycles.

The guys at The Rock Store up on Mulholland Hwy. weren't amused, despite the fact that it was thoroughly ridiculous.

(Good MPG though.)

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...

Last edited by Rusty J; 08-23-2016 at 03:10 AM.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
In fact, you can substitute virtually ANYTHING in for "motorcycles" and it is ridiculous.
ducati14 and GoBigGray like this.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Click and Clack (Tom and Ray Magliatzi) once said that they should strap the driver right out front of the hood, so he's the first thing to go, rather than having all these airbags and seat belts and such to protect him. Then the "accident" rate would drop precipitously.
Rusty J, BurgyBill and GoBigGray like this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
Then the "accident" rate would drop precipitously.
Getting old and young people off the road would have the same effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Turbo Poster

Some of the things noted by famed motorcycle safety guru David L Hough in his Proficient Mototrcycling series have already been stated earlier by some in this thread. Europe's far lower fatality rate due to: strong DUI enforcement for riders, the public's general familiarity with bikes and general skill level around them, riders' far better attitude toward ATGATT, strong licencing requirements, a general taking of personal responsibility without trying to blame others, the view of driving as a right & not a privilege and so on.
Add to that skewed data by organizations such as the IIHS, the performance gap between autos & bikes being narrowed considerably in the past few years (back in the day you couldn't have pick-up trucks tailgate a bike that accelerated to pull away), and an increasing proliferation of distractions that add to all those that existed in previous years. And now, just as we were making gains on distracted driving along come a new bunch of zombie idiots chasing Pokemon Go....

One more thing. There needs to be a strong inescapable public awareness campaign much like the "just say no to" drunk driving or drugs or domestic violence, etc, of years past, that using a vehicle to threaten or maim is just downright unacceptable & will not be tolerated in the least, just like brandishing a weapon and the BOOK WILL BE THROWN AT YOU if you do it.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 08-23-2016 at 06:50 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Insane Poster

There doesn't need to be anything other than very strong accountability for causing accidents and injuries.

Unfortunately, people don't have the stomach for that.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
, a general taking of personal responsibility without trying to blame others.
This is really all we need, or what we need most. IMHO
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Allen View Post
This is really all we need, or what we need most. IMHO
Note: most of what I write here are direct quotes from the book "More Proficient Motorcycling--Mastering the Ride" by David L Hough.
In the book, he made the point of how we here in the US seem to often blame someone else for our accidents. "It wasn't my fault. It happened because the (circle your favorite villain) dealer/manufacturer/salesman/mechanic/tire/lubricant/cow/road crew/licence department/helmet/farmer/stupid driver/loose gravel/other did it to me.
Whereas during his time in Germany, if someone had an accident many times (but not always) they'd say "If I crash and it's my fault, I take responsibility since I should have been observant and adjusted my riding accordingly" or something along those lines. He noted that many European roads don't have signs that warn you of every little hazard possible, as motorists are expected to be mindful of their driving (unless of course there are some unavoidable things that need to be warned of) and adjust accordingly. It's up to you to scrutinize to corner ahead, spot the wandering cow, observe the wet cobblestones, make room for downhill traffic and select the appropriate speed and lean angle to avoid going off the cliff. He notes the UK's national speed limit of 70mph along even a narrow English "A" road inches from a thorny hedgerow.

And then, understanding that there's always the risk of taking a tumble, you'll usually see European riders with racing weight leathers, Schuberth helmets, etc. He notes that by saying that although good gear doesn't make you a better rider, it does say something about your attitude toward the risks. Finally, he concludes by noting things like the left lane (continental Europe) or the right lane (UK) is for passing only. Separation of traffic according to vehicle speed is one excellent way to avoid collisions.
By comparison, here in the US, we have folks cruising in the passing lane, passing willy-nilly on the left or right, changing lanes without looking or signaling, "wolf packs" weaving at warp speed through superslab traffic and drivers making sudden turns at intersections. More than a few good foreign riders have been scrunched here in silly smashos that would never have expected back home.
Now that's not to say they're all wonderful. I guess it depends what country they come from, but let's face it, for as much as I love the land of my birth, drivers here in the USA are terrible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.