It's Time to Ban the Motorcycle - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
The author is a total idiot who has no idea of how things work. Now I would say that maybe we need more and better training for both riders and car drivers and perhaps some limits on the bikes themselves. Let's face it a 1000cc superbike is a lot of power and speed and many people just can't handle them. Yes riding is more dangerous than driving a car but it is a personal choice. And as already said there are many things far more dangerous than riding.

Europe has far more 2-wheeled vehicles than the US but their fatality rate is lower than here for riders! Why? One reason is that the drivers are more aware of motorcycles and take them into consideration. Most American drivers are oblivious morons who just don't pay attention. Another reason is a graduated system where you have to start on a smaller ride and move up. This prevents the inexperienced 18 year old from riding a 1000cc racer. Gear is another factor, like them or not helmets and other safety gear work!
BurgyBill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Turbo Poster

>>The cost to us all in terms of increased health-insurance costs — if not direct taxpayer costs — to cover those people injured in and by motorcycle accidents who can’t afford to pay<<

I've heard this lame excuse time after time, and wonder why there's always an assumption that all motorcycle riders are destitute and unable to afford insurance. This is just another example of one segment of society trying to tell the other how to run their lives. Sound familiar?
BurgyBill likes this.

Last edited by rut3556; 06-14-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Turbo Poster

I didn't realize in some states you didn't have to have insurance.

Heading to the islands...

--------------------------

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Turbo Poster

I think they're referring more to "personal" health insurance vs. motor vehicle. So, the implication is that motorcyclists who are maimed then become the burden of "society" as far as medical bills go.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Insane Poster

Given that most MC / auto accidents are almost always caused by autos, his argument becomes... "Well, we mame, injure and kill all these people, so instead of US changing OUR habits, lets make them like us."
BurgyBill likes this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Turbo Poster

Interesting article - even if it were written a few years ago. I guess that bonehead's idea hasn't gotten much traction.

Statistics by itself is dry information - its the story behind the stats that bring meaning. Like how many fatalities were riders on a 700cc crotch-rocket with less than a year's worth the experience? Statistics alone don't tell the whole story. I've said for years that some way of slowing those crazies down needs to be found. But that alone won't keep riders from killing themselves. Some people shouldn't ride anything with 2 wheels - and some of them shouldn't drive a car.

I'm thinking back to my own experiences when I was young. My avatar is a 69 Kawasaki 500cc H1 - I had the first one in Snohomish County Washington - I had the FASTEST! At the time it was the fastest production bike available according to Kawasaki. And it was fast. I had the optional gearing that took it from 13.2 flat quarter miler to 12.6 - and zero to 60 came in a short 3.9 seconds. I could lift the front tire with ease in any of the first three gears - and fourth with a passenger on board - been there - done that. I think I'm lucky to have outlived my 'need for speed'. I did have a few years of riding experience prior to buying the H1 - the bike I had prior was a Honda CB350. Not slow but nowhere near what the Kawasaki was capable of. Street machines of 500cc today make that Kawasaki look like it has a dead cylinder by comparison. Things happen fast at 100+mph!

I'm so lucky!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...20500%2070.htm

2008 650 Executive 'Darksided' on 5/17/2013 - Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW

Givi 46L Standard Top Box
Clearview Large Shield with Vent

Avatar - 1969 Kawasaki H1 500cc triple - Yup - used to have one!

Riding MC's since 1965

Cages: 1971 Karmann Ghia - 2012 Nissan Leaf SL - 2006 Buick LaCrosse

Last edited by knucklehead; 06-14-2014 at 09:58 PM.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Statistics alone don't tell the whole story. I've said for years that some way of slowing those crazies down needs to be found. But that alone won't keep riders from killing themselves. Some people shouldn't ride anything with 2 wheels - and some of them shouldn't drive a car.
As a practical matter, there is portion of the population that is h.ll bent on the thrill for speed, namely young men. The old timers have been there and, sometimes only by the grace of God, we survived. We know the speed demons exist.

Personally I'd rather them ride MCs and only affect themselves, and perhaps a willing passenger, than equip them only with 4000 lbs vehicle where they can do some real damage to other, innocent people.

I'm not being callous about it, I don't want anyone to get hurt in this sport. But I am a realist. I worked in a hospital for years and have seen the worse of what the organ donors can do to themselves. I wouldn't wish it on others.

To paraphrase an old pilots saying, "There are old riders and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders."

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 06-14-2014 at 10:49 PM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Interesting article - even if it were written a few years ago. I guess that bonehead's idea hasn't gotten much traction.

Statistics by itself is dry information - its the story behind the stats that bring meaning. Like how many fatalities were riders on a 700cc crotch-rocket with less than a year's worth the experience? Statistics alone don't tell the whole story. I've said for years that some way of slowing those crazies down needs to be found. But that alone won't keep riders from killing themselves. Some people shouldn't ride anything with 2 wheels - and some of them shouldn't drive a car.

I'm thinking back to my own experiences when I was young. My avatar is a 69 Kawasaki 500cc H1 - I had the first one in Snohomish County Washington - I had the FASTEST! At the time it was the fastest production bike available according to Kawasaki. And it was fast. I had the optional gearing that took it from 13.2 flat quarter miler to 12.6 - and zero to 60 came in a short 3.9 seconds. I could lift the front tire with ease in any of the first three gears - and fourth with a passenger on board - been there - done that. I think I'm lucky to have outlived my 'need for speed'. I did have a few years of riding experience prior to buying the H1 - the bike I had prior was a Honda CB350. Not slow but nowhere near what the Kawasaki was capable of. Street machines of 500cc today make that Kawasaki look like it has a dead cylinder by comparison. Things happen fast at 100+mph!

I'm so lucky!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...20500%2070.htm
One of my brothers bought one of those Kawasaki's brand new. He still has it. Took the engine apart while his kids were growing up to keep his oldest son from taking off on it. I keep trying to buy it from him as the bike looks new still and all the engine needs is putting the head back on and cleaning the carbs. He won't sell it to me though. Says he loves me and doesn't want me to splatter myself all over something while riding it. He knows my love of instant speed. That is why I don't own a modern "crotch rocket," I know me well enough that I know my throttle hand would write checks that my skill couldn't cover.

Doug from Kentucky
ducati14 and GoBigGray like this.

1980 Honda Express NC50 (with a 70cc jug and piston)
2009 Burgman 650 Executive with:
Givi Luggage: Both 21 liter E-21 or 41 liter Givi E41 hard bags : Airhawk R seat pad : Alaska Leather Sheepskin seat pad : Double RAM balls set up to left side brake reservoir : Bearcat Riders seat backrest : Bestem T-Box 929 (46 lit) Top Box : Turn signal audible buzzer
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Anyone close to Moorseville, NC

I am in the market for a newer 650. There is one in Moorseville, NC that I am very interested. I would like to buy it from TX and have it shipped, however, that means I would not get a chance to ride it or talk to the owner. In today's world that may be pretty precarious, thus if a good colleague from the Burg site, who lives close by, could stop over and check the 650 out and the seller, I would be most appreciative. I could then make the deal with much more confidence. It is a long ways from South TX to Mooresville, and back again, shipping is much easier, but risky if the owner is not as indicated. Thanks if you are willing to look, email me for more information- hdcftrv@juno.com
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 AM

I like the idea that...it's the quality of life not the quantity. I started riding again after turning 63 and haven't this much fun in a long time.
ducati14 and CelticCross like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.