Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

U.S. Postal Service NO MORE !

4K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Tromper 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago I sold a set of 650 shocks to fellow inmate Freddy Cook of Tennessee , shipped U.S. mail in one of those one price boxes . According to the tracking # at the time they just vanished along the way . We waited a few weeks and I refunded Freddy’s money , I tried to refund it earlier but he wouldn’t let me . Because I didn’t insure them I got $50 from the post office .

Last week I got some more shocks and contacted Freddy to see if he still needed them , he did so I sent him another set U.S. Postal Service . This time I insured them just in case , take a wild guess what happened 2 days later ? This is what happened according to the tracking .

Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center

Your item could not be delivered or returned to the sender. It is being forwarded to a USPS mail recovery center where it will be processed.:banghead:

So today I shipped set #3 to Freddy , but this time through FEDEX .

What are the odds ? TheReaper!

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting but i heard indeed earlier that postal services would be eliminated altogether in favor of couriers. I think Fedex will deliver the package, but it's sad news about USPS. I never use other carrier if the service is available, same with Canada Post. Such a nice service it has always been.

#3 ·
So Reaper did they reimburse you and/or explain why they could not be delivered or returned to you?

#4 ·
Not yet , I filed a claim and it usually takes about a month . They don't have an argument , they are the ones who said they are no longer deliverable (whatever that means?) . Plus I paid to insure the delivery . So far I'm out 3 sets of shocks .

I have a FEDEX account so from now on it's FEDEX 100% , the post office
has worn out their welcome with me . This is NOT my first problem with them .

TheReaper!

#5 ·
It's very sad that the USPS can't get their act together. I live in rural Pennsylvania and the delivery people are just great - very cordial and helpful. I put a letter in my mailbox with the flag up but forgot to put stamp on it. Our postman put a stamp on it and left me a note. I put her money in my mailbox the next day. The story of the shocks doesn't surprise me though. Especially in more urban areas.

#6 ·
This may not be the case, but it could just be that the shocks violate what can be shipped via USPS Priority. Priority Mail has restrictions because it all must be able to be carried inside airplanes. So you can't ship explosives, flammable liquids, or hazardous materials using it. One could argue that a metal cylinder (your shock absorber) full of either a flammable liquid (hydraulic fluid) or possibly pressurized gas (explosive) violates the terms of that explicit agreement. If this is the case, you should be able to send it parcel post without issue. It might not hurt to stick an ORM-D sticker on the outside to indicate to the carrier that the contents contain something potentially dangerous.

#7 ·
I've shipped them before to other parts of the country in the same one price box with no problems .

TheReaper!

#8 ·
Good luck with you switch to FedEx. My experience has been that I have never had anything shipped to me by USPS get lost. I've had several things shipped to me via UPS or FedEx get lost.

#10 ·
Good luck with you switch to FedEx. My experience has been that I have never had anything shipped to me by USPS get lost. I've had several things shipped to me via UPS or FedEx get lost.

I've been shipping with both and to date and have only had problems with the Post office . I've probably shipped well over 100 packages this year with FEDEX with out one problem . Lately I've been shipping about 90% with FEDEX , except when the item is heavy and fits in a U.S. Post one price box . Another thing when you have an account with FEDEX you get a pretty good discount , you print the labels at home then just drop them off at FEDEX . Then they automatically charge it to my credit card no muss no fuss .

All that said some areas of the country are better than others , be it any delivery system I understand that . Here in this area FEDEX is much better . How on earth they damaged two shipments to the same guy is beyond me , I used their boxes and properly packed them myself . I'm now on my 3rd set of shocks to one guy , that's just crazy .

TheReaper!

#9 ·
Take note that in some areas FedEx will ship packages
to one of their central hubs, then transfer the package
to USPS for final delivery. :(

#12 ·
My problem with USPS isn't with shipping it's with receiving. As I live on a dirt road if the packages is too big for my mail box they leave me a slip & I have to drive twelve miles to the Post Office & pick it up. :( Now if its from Amazon no problem they come & leave it on the front step. If it's Rx they also will drive it to my house. Oh my dirt road is about 100 yards long from the mail box. Now if I had a RR address they would deliver.
UPS & Fedex has no problem driving on my road & delivering to my home.

#14 ·
A little over 4 years ago my wife and I made a trip out west. On our return coming thru Minnesota we lost a wheel bearing taking out the hub also on our 5th wheel rv. We ordered new parts to be shipped overnite via FedEx. Three days later they finally arrived.... in Murfreesboro, TN. By then we found a local farm shop who rebuilt the hub and Auto store for the bearing and were nearly home.

#16 ·
Just got a call from Freddy Cook , he got the shocks today and they were in perfect condition . It took 48 hours to get them there through FEDEX , the Post Office NEVER !

Score FEDEX 1
Score Post Office -2

If I ever ship any thing with the post office again I will pay the extra insurance that's for sure

TheReaper!

#18 ·
I live in the sticks and I have never had any problem with any delivery service. However, a lot of stuff shipped to me through Fed-Ex or UPS is delivered by my USPS delivery lady. Regardless of who makes the delivery, I find the item on my porch. My porch is about 300' from the road.

#19 ·
It might be interesting to know that UPS and FEDEX uses the USPS to deliver some of there packages.

It is not obvious but it does happen

You pay a premium for FedEx and UPS (over usps)

But the USPS delivers them for pennies on the dollar

(Retired Letter Carrier)

#21 ·
It might be interesting to know that UPS and FEDEX uses the USPS to deliver some of there packages.
True, but only in (very sparse) areas that cost UPS/FEDEX too much $$$ to do it themselves. If UPS/FEDX already has a route, then it's not going to farm out any of that business to USPS.

#20 ·
For the past 4 yrs, I've always relied on UPS or Fedex for one simple reason. They deliver on time. This christmas, I noticed that USPS Priority Mail undercut UPS/FEDX ground by as much as 40% on shipments one or two states away. So knowing that UPS/FEDEX can deliver a pkg w/in my state in one day, surely USPS can do the same. Nope, the priority mail pkg I sent to someone in my state took USPS 5 working days! So instead of getting the pkg between Dec,26-30, they got it after New yr. This is Priority mail 2-3 day, too.

Nope, not worth the 40% savings if they can't be consistent.

#24 ·
Retired clerk from USPS in 2009. Believe the way delivery works for UPS and FEDEX is as follows:Shipment of packages comes in to the local office. Delivery computer and/or supervisor determines route of each delivery van using cost/time analysis vs addresses given and routes the most efficient deliveries by his personnel for the day. This leaves a certain amount of deliveries not on the efficiency list. These are dropped at the post office. Delivery monies are split per contract. Everybody wins. Hope this clears a few things up. Regards, Jim

#26 ·
Well it just keeps getting better , so far I've had to send Freddy 3 sets of shocks . First two were lost or damaged by the U.S. Post Office , the third set I sent VIA FEDEX and they were there in 2 days .

The first set was not insured but the post office did pay me $60.00 after I filed a claim using the PAY-PAL transaction sheet for proof of value . The second set was insured for $100.00 , and like I said this set too was lost or mangled . I filed the claim on the 2nd one 24 hours after hearing from the post office that they had lost #2 . Again I used a copy of the PAY-PAL transaction for proof of value . This time my claim was DENIED !!! In the denial letter they said they did not receive the info they asked for ?????? This is the U.S. Government at work , I ship a lot of stuff throughout the year and they've lost me for good . See all the documentation in the pics .

:angryfire: TheReaper!

Attachments

#27 ·
TheReaper, I'm sure you're going to appeal it right? Do you have proof that you claim you filed. It's crazy they paid you for the set was not insured and denied the one that was not insured. :protest: :mad:

#28 ·
TheReaper, I'm sure you're going to appeal it right? Do you have proof that you claim you filed. It's crazy they paid you for the set was not insured and denied the one that was not insured. :protest: :mad:
I filed it on line exactly the way I filed the first one . And yes I will mail a appeal in tomorrow . Love my country , hate the government .

TheReaper!

#31 ·
Well my appeal was denied , they said that because I didn't file proof of purchase in time they were going to stick to their original denial . I filed the claim the day after they notified me they lost the parcel . for proof I gave them a copy of the PAY-PAL receipt . Exactly as I did on the first claim that they did pay . So now maybe a PAY-PAL receipt is not good enough ??? So I just went on line to file my last appeal , it's the last appeal because they say it's my last appeal ? So I told them that I didn't care if they ever paid it , then I told them what I thought of them and their system .

I also mentioned that I now ship FEDEX exclusively and would never trust them again .

I gets better .

A few days ago I got a package from the post office and a letter . In the package was part of the box I shipped the shocks to Freddy in . In the letter they asked for a description of what was in the box . So I answered the letter with a picture of the exact shocks that they lost , ate , stole or ???

My experience with the government at all levels is they will screw you every chance they get , I learned this lesson very well and very early in my 40 year business career . Actually the system for business people is so perverse that you are pretty well guaranteed failure . But that's another story .

TheReaper!

#32 ·
:evil: :cussing: :banghead: :shock: :dontknow:
I don't know any words that would get past the censors to express my thoughts on this matter, so the emotions above are as close as I can get.

#33 ·
Well 3 strikes and you're usually out , but with the government not so apparently . In APPEAL #3 I told them exactly what happened all over again and really couldn't understand their logic . Then I said so be it , that I really didn't care if they paid or not that I had opened an account with FEDEX and was shipping exclusively with them . Then I went on and told them quite simply , that I couldn't trust them with any more of my business . I also told them that I had to ship Freddy 3 sets of shocks because they were to incompetent twice in two months . I then told them that the 3rd set was shipped FEDEX and they were delivered 48 hours later . So I figured that was the end of it and they would surely issue denial #3 .

Well ! that was not to be . Today I open my mail box and what was there ?
What else but a envelope from the now infamous Post Office , and in that envelope there wasn't another denial letter . There was a check for the full amount of the claim . :banghead:

TheReaper!

#35 ·
Sounds about par for the course.
Many moons ago I worked for marketing company.
We sent out huge numbers of dining club books and we were losing huge batches in the post office for no apparent reason.
Since back then you needed to have the PO's permission to sue them they sent out an investigator who determined that it was due to our imprinter for our postage being somewhat blurry, thus it was our fault.

We got our imprinter cleaned of course and the problems mysteriously stopped.

Unbeknownst to them I knew someone who worked in the PO we put stuff through, and at exactly the same time the guy who'd been busted throwing our (massive) bags (and similar) in the dumpster so he didn't have to load them was fired.

There's the official story and what's really happening there sometimes. This is pretty much true of all large organizations I suspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.