Baby Boomer Spending Wave OVER !!! - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Baby Boomer Spending Wave OVER !!!

The baby boomer spending wave is now officially over . Being one of the first boomers I've watched the coming and going of things , fads , institutions etc etc come and go . As we passed through life's stages we created and destroyed much along the way . Many of us have already retired but even more are on their way . Most of us have more stuff to sell than stuff we need to buy , retailing especially brick and mortar retailing , is going to go through their biggest transformation in history .

A sign of things to come !!!!!!!!! TheReaper!

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/maj...-closing-2017/

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
The baby boomer spending wave is now officially over
It may very well be, but the rest of the info in your post (including the info in the link) doesn't make that case.

Stores are closing because they either over-expanded (built stores they never should have built in the first place), can't compete with stores better-adapted to the market, or can't cope with on-line shopping. None of that has anything to do with baby boomers reducing spending.

Reading the link now - that's essentially what it opens with too:

Quote:
Clark explained that the retailers on this list are closing stores because they’re not giving people what they want in terms of things like price, fashion and selection. As a result, shoppers are increasingly turning to online and discount merchants for better deals. “The reality is that America has been overstored. We have far too many retail locations, shopping centers and branches of different chains,” Clark said. “But stores that are meeting your needs with low prices will continue to thrive.”
Going down that list of stores, here is how I see it:

Never Heard Of Them:
Crocs
American Apparel
BCBG
Family Christian
Wet Seal

Never Shop There:

Payless
JCP
K-Mart
Abercrombie
Guess
The Limited

Rarely Shop There (<3 times/year):
Macy's
HH Gregg
Sears
Game Stop
Staples
CVS

Sorry To See Them Go:
Radio Shack
Gander Mountain

So, overall, I am guessing most retail stores are simply not relevant to most people. They have no one to blame but themselves.

As for shopping malls - they are almost entirely built on stores that sell crap that I do not want or need, at prices that are too high. Why would I go there?

You know the mall I would like to see? One that has the following stores:
  • Lowe's
  • Home Depot
  • Harbor Freight
  • Rockler Wokodworking
  • Ace Hardware
  • LL Bean's
  • REI
  • Duluth Trading Company
  • Sierra Trading Post
  • Dick's Sporting Goods
  • Dunham Sporting Goods
  • Radio Shack
  • Apple Store
  • Fry's Electronics
  • Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
  • Bowling Alley
  • Pool Hall (a GOOD one!)
  • Swimming pool
  • Ice skating rink
  • A good gym / exercise place
  • Indoor soccer field
  • Indoor tennis courts
  • Indoor volleyball courts
  • Indoor basketball courts
  • Indoor shooting range
  • A public (or private) library
  • A suitable babysitting service
  • Chick-Fil-A
  • Uno Pizzeria & Grill
  • Qdoba
  • Orange Julius
  • Jimmy John's
  • Wendy's
  • Arby's
  • Longhorn Steak House
  • (some good mexican food place)
  • (some good Mongolian BBQ place)
  • (some good seafood house)
That is the kind of place that I can spend time and money in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 04-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Insane Poster

Oh yeah. Add:
  • Lego Store
  • Pinball arcade
  • Costco
  • Aldi
  • Farmer's market area (indoor preferred)
Such a mall has stores people NEED (such as buying food/clothing), stores with stuff you can't get on-line easily (home improvement stuff), stuff for people to do (entertainment), and not a bunch of stores selling crap people can do without. They can be there for HOURS and spend money EVERY WEEK. I know I would be (:

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Turbo Poster

Online sales are surely doing very well and will continue.

I just picked up some dress shoes for my son 2 days ago from Payless. I ended up having a coupon and the shoes were reduced. I spent 20.00 for shoes and 3 pairs of socks. A great deal! However, had the shoes been regular price, and I had no coupon, it would not have been a deal IMO. Payless is one of those stores that I dislike for 2 reasons. 1st because they are one of those stores that rely on coupons and fake sales to finally get the merchandise down to the right price. Without the coupon or sale you are paying too much IMO. 2nd, they do not offer name brand shoes. Throw in some discount Nike's etc, and I would shop there more often. For me, it's always been a store where I go to get cheap shoes for little kids that don't much care what's on their feet and will outgrow them in 2 or 3 months.

Women for whatever reason seem to love these "coupons, and fake sales" kinda stores. I don't get it myself. Macys, JC Pennys and many "Mall type" stores seem to do this same crap. Jeans 50% off. Regular price 160, on sale for 80.00..... F you! Ill stick to my 20-25.00 dollar Wranglers
Dave_J and BurgyBill like this.

2004 Burgman 400
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Insane Poster

unwise to buy beer or hookers online, and I aint done spendin yet!
Tromper likes this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
Online sales are surely doing very well and will continue.

I just picked up some dress shoes for my son 2 days ago from Payless. I ended up having a coupon and the shoes were reduced. I spent 20.00 for shoes and 3 pairs of socks. A great deal! However, had the shoes been regular price, and I had no coupon, it would not have been a deal IMO. Payless is one of those stores that I dislike for 2 reasons. 1st because they are one of those stores that rely on coupons and fake sales to finally get the merchandise down to the right price. Without the coupon or sale you are paying too much IMO. 2nd, they do not offer name brand shoes. Throw in some discount Nike's etc, and I would shop there more often. For me, it's always been a store where I go to get cheap shoes for little kids that don't much care what's on their feet and will outgrow them in 2 or 3 months.

Women for whatever reason seem to love these "coupons, and fake sales" kinda stores. I don't get it myself. Macys, JC Pennys and many "Mall type" stores seem to do this same crap. Jeans 50% off. Regular price 160, on sale for 80.00..... F you! Ill stick to my 20-25.00 dollar Wranglers
And Tuesday, PAYLESS Shoe has filed Bankruptcy and will be closing over 400 stores. THAT is a lot of jobs gone due to miss-management and miss-marketing. I hope you get your shoes.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 04-05-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
THAT is a lot of jobs gone due to miss-management and miss-marketing.
Those women should be fired.
mikeyMarine, E.D. and xringracing like this.

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Poster

Garage
The problem is that it's much easier to just buy the thing on line, for 90% of the stuff that those stores carry. For tennis shoes, I go to zappos. For nearly everything else I go to Amazon. Food and entertainment are the only local dollars I spend. Well, OK, if I ever buy another car or appliance new, I'll go to a dealer. But that's it. No parking, no lines, no dimwit clerks, I spend 5 minutes on the transaction, the stuff arrives the next day. I know what size my clothes are, and I'm capable of tailoring them myself if the fit isn't perfect, or sending them back if I don't like them. Same for my wife. Brick and mortar stores are doomed. It's the march of progress. Not stoppable. I hope none of us hold stock in any of those companies.
Dave_J, Tromper and xringracing like this.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
The problem is that it's much easier to just buy the thing on line, for 90% of the stuff that those stores carry. For tennis shoes, I go to zappos. For nearly everything else I go to Amazon. Food and entertainment are the only local dollars I spend. Well, OK, if I ever buy another car or appliance new, I'll go to a dealer. But that's it. No parking, no lines, no dimwit clerks, I spend 5 minutes on the transaction, the stuff arrives the next day. I know what size my clothes are, and I'm capable of tailoring them myself if the fit isn't perfect, or sending them back if I don't like them. Same for my wife. Brick and mortar stores are doomed. It's the march of progress. Not stoppable.
Not everything lends itself to being bought on-line. For example, large, bulky items. A sheet of plywood for example. Other stuff, you want to try on for fit, or to see how it looks.

Then there are items you want to have RIGHT NOW. Maybe you're in the middle of some project, whatever it might be, and you need something. You can either go somewhere and get it, or order it and wait. Now, true, on-line vendors like Amazon are starting to address this, but there are a lot of limitations on what they can do, plus they don't have everything either.

Then there are impulse buys. You're someplace, you see something interesting, and decide to get that too. Last time I was in home depot, I went in for one thing that I wanted RIGHT NOW (garden hose gasket) and ended up buying several other things. Happens to me at Costco all the time (:

Finally, some people just like to shop. Go out, look at stuff. Those people will not get their fix on-line. Going out and shopping is SOMETHING TO DO.

I don't think retail shopping will ever go away entirely - but man, the model sure does need to change. Either we need to go back to small neighborhood shops where people can go daily to pick up a few things, or we need to get rid of all the small strip malls and stuff and go to mega shopping centers that have actual stuff people want/need instead of so much CRAP. Frankly, a lot of retail stores simply need to die off. Many of them are on the list in the article the OP linked to.

Mega on-line retailers need to open up "return centers" in major metro areas. That will help them kill off local stores. People have to go somewhere to return their stuff anyway (UPS or FedEx of whatever). Why not have them return at an Amazon Depot, so it can colsolidate stuff and ship it back in bulk to their distro centers or wherever?

On that note - with the advent of on-line shopping, why do manufacturers even need retailers anyway? Either ship direct to your customers exclusively, or ship to Amazon and let it distribute for you. For example...consider Lego. Huge brand. It has on-line sales, its own stores, plus retailers all over the place. Why? Seems like Lego would do just fine if the only places you could get its products are its own stores or from Lego on-line. Screw everyone else. Same for Apple. And yet - they don't do this. Why? Clearly they feel they get more sales by doing what they do now. So why? Because people like going somewhere and seeing product in person. How long will that last? It's something to ponder.

For the most part, like-retailers are selling the same crap as their peers. So why go to one over the other? Why go to Toys 'R Us rather than some other big-ass toy store? TRU certainly doesn't have great pricing. There is nothing special about its shopping experience. So why go there? And yet people do. WHY??? But they do (:

One problem retailers have is "show casing". People go there to look at stuff and then go buy it on-line for cheaper. Maybe retailing will evolve to leverage this. Charge a membership fee to walk in the door (like Costco), assuming you're not there to buy anyway. Then rebate the fee if you've spent enough money over the course of the year. This catches "showcasers" and "entertainment shoppers" both. Then charge vendors to have their stuff in your showcase store. Then charge for parking of course (no rebate on that). Now partner with Amazon to provide a return depot and charge THEM for that service, which allows Amazon to send a truck over once per day or week or whatever to collect stuff instead of having everyone mail stuff back individually. ****, maybe Amazon ITSELF opens "show case" stores, where you can look at stuff, and maybe buy, but then wait for it to be delivered from Amazon rather than taking it home right then and there. Who knows - this might be a successful model one day. It meets the needs of a lot of people.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 04-05-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
unwise to buy beer or hookers online, and I aint done spendin yet!
Ditto to all above

My wife and I are both retired and we just bought a freakin' RV -- the largest purchase I've ever made except for my house. We've saved all our married life for this; I'm spending like never before
Tromper likes this.

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.