USA - Coast to Coast - June 17' - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Sure, no problem. Lmk when you'll be here and we can spend a day riding. There's a LOT of fantastic roads here. I'll be glad to show you them Fernando.

I can also provide you some GPS route files for your trip in to Los Angeles. Palm Springs to LA has some good riding. Plan a full day just for that, if you have the time.
First draft route is really a draft, I was hoping you guys would help me to nail it down. if you were to ride the East to West in 12 days, what would be your route based on POI?

| GIVI AF266 | Denali D2| BreakAway C.C | Pillion Backrest | Sena SMH10 | Gerbings T5 & Jacket | Fehling Racks | Givi E21 | AirHawk 2 | Fender Extender | MCL Reservoir Cover | K&N Air Filter | Stebel Nautilus Horn | Zumo 350 | Drift HD Ghost |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
First draft route is really a draft, I was hoping you guys would help me to nail it down. if you were to ride the East to West in 12 days, what would be your route based on POI?
Well definitly the painted deserts of New Mexico. Arkansas is nice too Particularly the Hot Springs. In Los Angeles, try to squeeze in Angeles Crest Highway and world famous Pacific Coast Highway & Mulholand drive. I can help with those, they're frequently rated some of the best roads in the world.

Once you get to CA, If you tell me where you're starting from, where you want to end and how long you have, I'll draw you up a map and create a GPX file to follow. Once you're in LA, I'll even lead.

Good luck. Lmk what I can do to help.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 01-05-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 PM
Turbo Poster

Fernando, I think the general route you originally planned out was a good one. And yes, seeing friends is very important. If you think about it, in theory there are thousands of good spots scattered all over the US to see by motorbike, and one can't get to all of them. Naturally, you'll find that everyone is going to tell you that you absolutely MUST pass through their neck of the woods, and how it has the absolute BEST-yada, yada, etc that you just can't pass up. And that's only natural, since every knows their own back yard and wants to ride with you. A northern route would highlight New England, Wisconsin, Montana, etc. A central route would give you West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Colorado & Utah. And a southern route would look much like the one you selected. You can't get all three routes worth of the motorcycle meccas I just mentioned. Not without veering off course and consuming precious time. Best to plan to see what you can, and maybe come back in another year or so and do a different route.
If you can, get the Motorcycle Touring Bible by Fred Rau. He really breaks down all the nuances and little things you may not even think about and has a special subheading about "not biting off more than you can chew".
Anyway, my two cents.
jeff_MDR and xringracing like this.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 01-05-2017 at 11:49 PM.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Poster

Garage
This is just my opinion, but do not ride on the Interstate highways if you can avoid them. They are boring and you miss much good scenery. Ride the US routes and state routes. These highways are much more interesting.
jeff_MDR, AROTH, Liamjs and 2 others like this.

2005 An400
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
I understand California looks like Chile or the other way around LOL, wine is better down here though. LOL. so California could take the entire 17 days I've planned..I wish I had more time. if you were to ride the East to West in 12 days, what would be your route based on POI?
For sure there are a lot of similarities - high mountain range on the East, long ocean coastline on the West, (and you even have a Los Angeles!). So if it's the great wide open you're looking for, you will get a lot of it - a sense of the Great Plains crossing Texas, the high Colorado Plateau from Santa Fe to Sedona (the Grand Canyon is a must-see), a sense of the Great Basin desolation in southern Nevada, and the stark Mojave Desert coming in to California from Vegas.

Or, if you do work Death Valley into your trip, crossing from East to West, you will end up in Lone Pine, CA in the shadow of Mt. Whitney on the eastern escarpment of the Sierra. Followed by a more interesting drive to LA.

But you are correct - 17 days is a long time, but not nearly enough.
Liamjs and BurgyBill like this.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 01-06-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr1 View Post
Don't miss the Pacific Coast drive from LA to the Olympic Mountains on Highway 101 and to Seattle.
Why stop just at Portland? The whole Hy 101 is a great ride.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
Or, if you do work Death Valley into your trip, crossing from East to West, you will end up in Lone Pine, CA in the shadow of Mt. Whitney on the eastern escarpment of the Sierra. Followed by a more interesting drive to LA.

But you are correct - 17 days is a long time, but not nearly enough.
Careful with Death Valley. There's a reason for it's name. By June you're talking low 100s for temps. Same with the Mohave. You might want to stick to higher elevations for some relief.

But it's a dry heat... Lol.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
There's a reason for it's name.
Could be for the Northerners. . But rider will be coming from the South.

Burgman 650 '04 Exec black (sold)
Burgman 400 hopefully next.
Suzuki DL1000 current seat
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM

A parallel route on a two lane road almost always beats a drive on the freeway when traveling in open country. Getting through LA is a different animal. The freeway is part of the "charm."

When I planned our trip up to Canada from San Diego I used Google Maps to zoom in on various areas and check out the alternate routes. Dropping the little man down for a street view is very helpful for getting a look at a given road to see if it looks nice for a motorcycle ride. I did this a lot, and it paid off. We had a really good idea of which roads we wanted to explore, and which little towns looked interesting for stops along the way. I thought at first it might dull the surprise of seeing things for the first time, but that was not the case because reality is so much more interesting than a picture on the screen.

We did 4,500 miles in 18 days, so I think you can get across the country in 17 days without problem.
BurgyBill likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Turbo Poster

I agree we all tend to have preferences to what we know are wonderful rides in our area and, your best bet is to either get a book or, use an online motorcycle touring site (here is a link for some good ones) for specific recommendations on routes, sites, amenities, etc. There are an unlimited number of ways you can get from east to west. Going through the many areas of the Rocky Mountains, while unusual, you can run into snow any month of the year. If you go to Death Valley, expect temps WELL over 100F. Even areas beyond Death Valley can be extremely hot. Two summers ago, my wife and I ran into a stretch between Zion National Park (southwest Utah) and Las Vegas of 116F. I recommend you pack a cooling vest for that part of the trip. We would have been in trouble without them.

Still, I have some personal recommendations. If you like to scuba dive or snorkel, there are a number of crystal clear springs throughout central and north Florida, with many located at state parks (camping). From Atlanta consider going to up to and riding Tail of the Dragon in east Tennessee. Jaunt from there to Natches Trace Parkway (pick up it up just south of Nashville). It cuts southwest and gets you fairly close to New Orleans. I've got no particular recommendation to Fort Worth (my home town, BTW) as I have not been riding in that area. However, once there you may be able to pick up a Texas Ranger game if you like baseball, can experience Billy Bob's (world famous western nightclub), etc. Your friends should have some good ideas. I presume you will do Hwy 287 to Amarillo. Picking up the ride at Santa Fe, go up to Pagosa Springs and on to Durango and then Mesa Verde National Park. Nice camping there and, the cliff dwellings are a must-see. If you happen to stay in Durango and, the next day day have a half a day to spare, you can take the Durango-Silverton train to Silverton and return by bus to get you back to Durango by 1:20. Anyway, take Hwy 160 through Mexican Hat and on to Hwy 89, taking that south to pick up 60 for a drive along the sough rim of the Grand Canyon, splitting off onto 180 into Flagstaff. Beyond that, the Sequoia Redwoods are awesome, as is the trip up the coastal highway. If you make it that far up the coast, the Hearst Castle is quite the site to see, if you have time to take one of the tours.

There is so much to see, your major task will be to avoid boring routes where you could just as easily have taken something breathtaking. Know that there's not much you can do about west Texas, though. I know the southern part of our Travel Stops map is not well populated but, you may see if there is anyone along your route that can offer some hospitality. You may also want to seek out hostels which, give the opportunity to meet interesting folks.

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.