Time to Say Goodbye...again... - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Time to Say Goodbye...again...

Yeah, once again I get out of the World of Burgman.

The inexpensive 400 just needed work I wasn't up to doing. And it was a middling-high mileage unit...valves and drive belt and some other work, was needed. I got it for a low price; but things kinda got out of hand.

I arranged a complex three-way swap. Someone with a shop and better skills took it off my hands, for a little less than I paid for it; and then arranged for me to meet with someone selling a Honda PCX 125 out of a relative's estate.

The PCX has about 1500 miles...basically, new. In better shape. Interestingly, KBB and NAPA show LOWER values for the PCX, all up and down the years, than the Burgman. I guess there are people who believe there's no substitute for cubic inches.

And there's some truth to that; but I'm ASTOUNDED at the ready pep the PCX has. It'll march smoothly, happily, up to a verified 55. There it stops, unless it's downhill; but it gets there fast and easy.

Easy, too, is the hundred-miles-a-gallon. And the outside-the-box thinking, that simplifies equipment. The stator/alternator is the starter.

That engine just purrs. It's now my in-town ride; and I have my V-Strom up for sale. Gonna buy something older and maybe a bit bigger, for the less-frequent day touring.

Anyway...until our paths cross once more, as they well might...
gec343, Hammer, Liamjs and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Insane Poster

Hey don't be a stranger and good luck on your travels. See you on the road.
BurgyBill and kathykit like this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Once someone has had the mighty 400, the fix is in. And you will be back here sooner than later !!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Super Poster

PCX is nice bike but I don't see it doing much more than providing city commuting. if that is your type of riding you will be very pleased.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Insane Poster

The nimbleness of a 125 has a lot going for it. Early this summer, I bought a Honda Innova 125 - very much like a street orientated descendant of the CT 90/110 Trail or Postie bike, with the same semi-automatic 4-speed gearbox, but fuel injected 125cc and with a front disc brake to match the 60 MPH top speed.

Since then, I only take the Burgman for trips over 10 miles one way.

106 MPG is just a fun bonus.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM

I recently purchased a used Honda Forza 300 (with 594 miles) in the Denver area and rode it back to Phoenix, a trip of 903 miles. I have a Burgman 650, but wanted something smaller for running local errands. The Forza ran like a champ all the way to Phoenix and averaged 65 mpg running between 60-70 mph. The Honda has a few features that I wish my 650 had like a dip stick to check the oil and a sight glass to check the coolant level.

The 650 has been a nice touring bike and I will keep it. The Forza can travel on the interstates, but works much better as a urban scooter. I had a Burgman 400, but like the smaller size of the Forza 300 for city riding.

El Charro

Dennis
Oh Lord, help me be humble after I win the Lottery!

2014 Honda Forza 300
2012 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 400 (sold)
BMW R75/5 (sold)
3 cylinder Kawasaki 500 Mach III (sold)
305 Honda Superhawk (sold)
1952 Sears Allstate scooter
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome View Post
PCX is nice bike but I don't see it doing much more than providing city commuting. if that is your type of riding you will be very pleased.
That's actually what I got it for.

I'm in a small mountain town in Montana - current population 65,000 and very dense. Town size has doubled in twenty years - California expats. So traffic is a headache.

Lights are typically over five minutes to cycle. I'm serious. Traffic will back up on the main drag through intersections...so it's a lot of creepy-crawly and having to move fast when the lights change. ESPECIALLY since they don't follow a pattern - traffic actuated; it's chaotic.

On my "big" bike, a V-Strom 650...it's a matter of sitting there, and then, when the light changes, quick grab the gear...and listen to the gearbox bang. If I have time, I like to take the clutch thirty seconds ahead and then walk the bike forward at about 2 mph, to ease engaging of the gears. Clutch isn't dragging - every Japanese bike I've had is like that, and I've checked clutch free-play. And the mechanic insists this is "normal" - and apparently it is, because most other bikes, Euro or Japanese, do this.

It's still gotta be hard on the tranny.

Then, if I'm caught far behind...I gotta slip the clutch, since idling in first gear is too fast for this slow traffic, filtered with Medical Marijuana patients. I imagine the clutch facings wearing right down...

The auto transmission of a scooter is a much better answer. So, too, is the easy start of the starter/alternator of the PCX. No engaging the ring gear - you don't even hear the starter spin until the exhaust starts burbling. So, on those long-long lights, I shut it down.

The 55-mph max speed seems to be enough for city and secondary roads; and I like the way it handles, too. Frankly I think it's more stable than the Burgman....I'll bet you the Honda Team Red took a few Burgmans on the track when developing the PCX.

So it's done. Freeway...V-Strom. Local...PCX.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charro View Post
I recently purchased a used Honda Forza 300 (with 594 miles) in the Denver area and rode it back to Phoenix, a trip of 903 miles. I have a Burgman 650, but wanted something smaller for running local errands. The Forza ran like a champ all the way to Phoenix and averaged 65 mpg running between 60-70 mph. The Honda has a few features that I wish my 650 had like a dip stick to check the oil and a sight glass to check the coolant level.

The 650 has been a nice touring bike and I will keep it. The Forza can travel on the interstates, but works much better as a urban scooter. I had a Burgman 400, but like the smaller size of the Forza 300 for city riding.

El Charro
Honda seems to have discovered a secret that other companies only wish they could crack. That PCX 125 has nearly as much pep as a TU250 I had a long time ago; or a Big Ruckus I also had some years back. I actually expected the Honda to be gutless, given the Big Ruckus experience; but they've revolutionized their engine performance.

So a Forza 300, which looks like a PCX's big brother, is every bit the bike the B400 is. If my situation gets better (money's tight right now) I'll have to watch for a good used model...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Insane Poster

Why not start a political campaign to sort out the traffic lights?

In my small town (12k inhabitants) they've tripled the cycle time of traffic lights on the streets used by passing thru commuters to bypass the congestion on the main thruway, in an effort to discourage them from doing so.

The result is exactly as I've predicted, people go crazy fast to avoid sitting minutes at red lights, and -unlike before- people running red light has become common.
BurgyBill likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post
Why not start a political campaign to sort out the traffic lights?

In my small town (12k inhabitants) they've tripled the cycle time of traffic lights on the streets used by passing thru commuters to bypass the congestion on the main thruway, in an effort to discourage them from doing so.

The result is exactly as I've predicted, people go crazy fast to avoid sitting minutes at red lights, and -unlike before- people running red light has become common.
This town has become Exiled California. I kid you not...Californians who have some money are desperate to find a place to flee. This has been one...it's got two very-clean industries: A big USDA National Forest regional office and firefighting school, and a State University. So a lot of academics and government employees have come over.

Over half the town's population, from twenty years ago. Traditional industries, mining and forestry, have been shut down by the EPA and other agencies.

So. It's California, with California values. THEY HATE CARS here. The practice of making stoplights onerous is called "Traffic Calming" and the idea is to make a car so inconvenient that people will use other forms of transport. City buses here are FREE, and there are elaborate bike paths.

It's great to be able to take a bicycle downtown - when the sun shines. When we get eight inches of Montana snow...not so much. But those traffic lights remain.

The only real solution is to leave, and although I suppose I'll do that eventually...not yet. Weather is nice, and the people, one-on-one, are friendly
ducati14 and BurgyBill like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.