Are you on Statins ? Read this ! - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Are you on Statins ? Read this !

This is not news to me , my cardiologist has tried to get me on these for years . Every time I tried one I had disastrous results , but over and over again he tried to get me on them . It was “lets try this one” over and over again with the same results . All the while I was reading they were a scam and could actually shorten your life . After taking them for just a few days I would begin to feel like I was a good 20 years older , I couldn’t roll over in bed without a lot of pain every where . Then the whites of my eyes would turn yellow . The drug companies are a big part of the healthcare problem in this country . Al Capone had nothing on these guys .

TheReaper!

http://www.naturalnews.com/054388_st...ig_Pharma.html
Hammer and ducati14 like this.

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Super Poster

Garage
I'm actually in the process of trying to research statins. My doctor suggested I get on them and I basically said lets slow this down a bit and let me do some research. I'm certainly skeptical reading about the pros of something from someone who makes a profit from it. Having said that, I'm also skeptical about reading about the cons, from someone who professes natural solutions (your article). Have you by chance found any information on the "studies" they cite? Appreciate your insight / experience with them.

I'm trying to read the article in BMJ open at the moment.

Last edited by thebrauns85; 06-17-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Yeah, I took a statin (prevastatin) for a few months, and it did indeed lower my cholesterol by 60 points, from 220 to 160. The ratio was still marginal, but it was in the range that doc's love to see.

That being said, I felt like I had absolutely no energy. My muscles would hurt after doing anything and my aerobic capacity was cut in half, it seemed. I struggled with the decision to go to the gym, and everything I tried was harder- about half the reps at 3/4 the weight of any machine or weight I used to do before the statin.

Then I saw a Dr Oz (yeah, I know) article about the 5 things to eat to lower your cholesterol, each one supposedly would lower your cholesterol 20% (!!??! hard to believe).
So I quit the statin and tried to incorporate as many of the following as I could in my diet:

-50 pistachio's a day (this one is easy)
-Greens (real greens, like collards and mustard greens, one serving a day- which is about 3/4 of a bag from the grocery store 'cause they cook down to nothing)
-Dark meat chicken (OK, not too hard to do either)
-Glucomannan suppliment, 600 mg ( this is basically just fiber- couple of pills before dinner with water)
-Persimmons (yuck. never found a persimmon I could palate, fresh or dried)

End result- cholesterol dropped by the same amount without the statin. And I've been able to maintain most of the drop (to 180 now) by just remembering to do 1) and 4), and adding greens and roasted chicken legs into the meal rotation.
jeff_MDR likes this.

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrauns85 View Post
I'm actually in the process of trying to research statins. My doctor suggested I get on them and I basically said lets slow this down a bit and let me do some research. I'm certainly skeptical reading about the pros of something from someone who makes a profit from it. Having said that, I'm also skeptical about reading about the cons, from someone who professes natural solutions (your article). Have you by chance found any information on the "studies" they cite? Appreciate your insight / experience with them.

I'm trying to read the article in BMJ open at the moment.
Google it and do a search on YouTube , you will get all the info you desire . IMO they do not add to your life span and do far more bad than good . IMHO they are poison .

TheReaper!

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
Google it and do a search on YouTube , you will get all the info you desire . IMO they do not add to your life span and do far more bad than good . IMHO they are poison .

TheReaper!
Thanks ... been listening to Dr. Kendrick recently ... obviously he thinks a large percentage of medical studies are "rubbish" primarily because they rely on association vice causation. Certainly believes that with respect to Statins and Cholesterol.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 PM

Yes, not good.

Get yourself Flax Seed Oil, supplement available at WAL-Mart. Within 90 days your cholesterol will be significantly reduced. It happened to me and everyone I have told.... Costs a lot less than "pills".

If All Else Fails, Read The Directions.

1999 Valkrie Interstate
2001 Goldwing
2005 Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
1975 Honda CB 500T I restored
All of the above sold
2012Suzuki Burgman Exc.

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
In 2007 my doc put me on Gemfibrozil. I took it daily for 1 year and it caused so many issues. The muscle pain got progressively worse until I said enough. TOO LATE! I have permanent right thigh and left side hamstring pain. I had chest muscle pain too but I can not tell if it still hurts due to the massive damage from my last crash.

I also have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and they think it was triggered by Statins.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:56 PM

I have been on and off statins for 20 years. The cholesterol numbers do indeed go down however the resulting muscle pain is just not worth it.At 71 I would rather live a life with minimal pain and be able to do the things that I enjoy. My 2 cents.
Dave_J and Hammer like this.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
Yeah, I took a statin (prevastatin) for a few months, and it did indeed lower my cholesterol by 60 points, from 220 to 160. The ratio was still marginal, but it was in the range that doc's love to see.

That being said, I felt like I had absolutely no energy. My muscles would hurt after doing anything and my aerobic capacity was cut in half, it seemed. I struggled with the decision to go to the gym, and everything I tried was harder- about half the reps at 3/4 the weight of any machine or weight I used to do before the statin.
Wow, that is exactly how I feel. I've been taking 40mg lovastatin per night for years. Then a few years before that, I was taking 20mg of simvistatin every night. It has slowly crept up on me to the point I now notice how awful I feel. I thought I was just getting old, but I feel like I am way older than what I am, at least twenty years older. It hurts now even trying to get dressed, to try to lift my legs hurts. I'm going to see the doc about this, get off this med and try to eat better, going to do more research.
Thanks a lot fellas, this is some good info.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Insane Poster

Those are high doses and before getting the pitchforks out ....

Quote:
Background—Extended follow up of statin-based low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol lowering trials improves understanding of statin safety and efficacy. Examining cumulative cardiovascular events (total burden of disease) gives a better appreciation of the clinical value of statins. This paper evaluates the long-term impact of therapy on mortality and cumulative morbidity in a high risk cohort of men.

Methods and Results—The West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study was a primary prevention trial in 45-64 year old men with high LDL cholesterol. 6595 men were randomized to receive pravastatin 40mg once daily or placebo for an average of 4.9 years. Subsequent linkage to electronic health records permitted analysis of major incident events over 20 years. Post-trial statin use was recorded for 5 years post-trial, but not the last 10.
Men allocated to pravastatin had reduced all-cause mortality; hazard ratio (HR) 0.87, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.80-0.94, p=0.0007, mainly attributable to a 21% decrease in cardiovascular death; HR 0.79 (CI 0.69-0.90), p=0.0004. There was no difference in non-cardiovascular or cancer death rates between groups.
Cumulative hospitalisation event rates were lower in the statin treated arm:
by 18% for any coronary event (p=0.002),
24% for myocardial infarction (p=0.01) and
35% for heart failure (p=0.002).

There were no significant differences between groups in hospitalization for non-cardiovascular causes.

Conclusions—Statin treatment for five years was associated with a legacy benefit with improved survival and a substantial reduction in cardiovascular disease outcomes over a 20-year period, supporting the wider adoption of primary prevention strategies.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/...AHA.115.019014

If you don't think lowering your risk of heart failure, once the leading cause of death ...is not worth while then by all means abandon statins.

Ask the doctor about lowering the dose if you have side effects ...I'm on 10 mg with a hereditary heart risk ...no percieved side effects.

Here is the difference in information ...Reaper is basing his headline on this

Quote:
Now, scientists are reporting that cholesterol drugs, which 15 million Americans are prescribed, are also completely worthless. A group of international researchers published a study in the BMJ Open journal that found no link between what's known as "bad" cholesterol and death as a result of heart disease in individuals over 60 years of age.

In fact, the results found that 92 percent of people with high cholesterol actually lived longer. The best way to achieve and maintain good heart health is not through medications but through healthy lifestyle habits.

"Lowering cholesterol with medications for primary cardiovascular prevention in those aged over 60 is a total waste of time and resources, whereas altering your lifestyle is the single most important way to achieve a good quality of life," said vascular and endovascular surgery expert Professor Sherif Sultan from the University of Ireland.

'Lowering cholesterol with medications is a total waste of time'

Study co-author Dr. Malcolm Kendrick said their findings show "that older people with high LDL (low-density lipoprotein) levels, the so-called 'bad' cholesterol, lived longer and had less heart disease."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/054388_st...#ixzz4C1GiVVUz
The problem being ...THERE IS NO STUDY CITED.
I suggest the good doctor is more interested in peddling his book. He's a GP...with a profitable side line.
Then take a look at the ads surrounding the article ..... nothing but crank shite like this

By all means inform yourself but a crank publication like Reaper presented is not the way to go about it ....

Any publication that supports anti-vax should be used for nothing but ass wipe .....

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>

Last edited by MacDoc; 06-19-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.