Are you on Statins ? Read this ! - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Jim
Super Moderator

Everybody is different, and react differenty to different methods of treatment.

This may be why they call it a "Practice"

Me, I may just be fortunate, but I take no meds. About 10 years ago I went to the doc. and she said my cholesterol was marginally high, and wanted to put me on meds. I said I wanted nothing that is a "death till you part pill" . Then I discovered that if you get your cholesterol check in summer, it's usually lower than winter (10-30) points. Holiday eating I guess. I finally went to the doc. this Jan., 10 years later, for a full check-up, and they were surprised I wasn't on any meds. everything came back fine.

I do believe in eating healthy, but not overdoing anything, and yes, I do smoke and like my beverage.

I do believe they do push too many pills for profit, than for need.

Pictures of Modifications and Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim; 06-23-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Insane Poster

After my little cardiac event last month the doctor put me on a low dose statin to improve my LDL/HDL ratio.. So far I have had none of the symptoms others have mentioned. I am scheduled to have my liver enzymes checked next month. That is a precautionary check that should be done because in a small group of people statins can cause elevated liver enzyme levels. That is a low risk though and very few people can expect it to happen. I will have mine checked and as long as they are OK will continue with the statin therapy as long as the cardiologist thinks I need too. That guy has a lot more knowledge of the risk and benefits than I do and I discussed them with him.. I'm not worried about him prescribing the statins just to make money as he prescribed a generic not a brand name so he gets no kick back from it.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 134,093 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,506 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Insane Poster

Yeah the new guidance states check liver enzyme only at the beginning of therapy instead of regular checks as it only impacts some people and can be seen quickly.
Good attitude....glad you are okay.

•••

Quote:
I do believe they do push too many pills for profit, than for need.
I tend to agree there is over prescription but in our not for profit system it's a lower risk and in any group of doctors you will have a few with poor judgement and in your system more greed than patient care in mind.
Oxycontin and ADD prescriptions are a disgrace yet often it is the patient putting pressure on ....and sometimes doctors taking a cut of the resale.

I could likely do without statins but prefer the buffer as I'm not eating healthy and exercising. My life quality would suffer greatly without Celebrex - once a day and I'm feeling normal.
Go without....I age 10 years in aches and pains.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>

Last edited by MacDoc; 06-19-2016 at 11:54 AM.

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
Just found out a few days ago that I have slightly "elevated liver enzymes". I've been on 40MG daily Atorvastatin for several years. My doctors nurse recently called and told me not take the Statin drug for two weeks, then return for more blood tests. I've been complaining of low energy. It's now been just three days since stopped taking the Statin and seem to have more energy. I normally drink two glasses of red wine nightly, but doubt it could be the cause of the liver issue.

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) 16,000+ mile
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike
2013 Kymco Agility 125

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, 2006 Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Insane Poster

Geez those are high doses....glad your doc is proactive on the liver issue.
gec343 likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Geez those are high doses....glad your doc is proactive on the liver issue.
Thanks. I appreciate your opinion!

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) 16,000+ mile
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike
2013 Kymco Agility 125

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, 2006 Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
After my little cardiac event last month the doctor put me on a low dose statin to improve my LDL/HDL ratio.. So far I have had none of the symptoms others have mentioned. I am scheduled to have my liver enzymes checked next month. That is a precautionary check that should be done because in a small group of people statins can cause elevated liver enzyme levels. That is a low risk though and very few people can expect it to happen. I will have mine checked and as long as they are OK will continue with the statin therapy as long as the cardiologist thinks I need too. That guy has a lot more knowledge of the risk and benefits than I do and I discussed them with him.. I'm not worried about him prescribing the statins just to make money as he prescribed a generic not a brand name so he gets no kick back from it.
Craig , that's just it they don't have any more real info than the B S the drug companies spew . IMHO statins will go down in history as the biggest drug fraud of all time . The cholesterol test they use doesn't even check the one type of cholesterol that supposedly does the damage . I read a ton of info on statins several years ago and couldn't believe what I was reading . I thought how on earth with all this flawed info , could supposedly smart well educated doctors push this junk on their patients ? It has become the protocol and the robot doctors blindly go along with it without question . It's a to death do we part drug that pours billions into the drug company coffers , and they love it . In the end it's just one more way for these crooks to pluck the feathers out of the former middle class .

TheReaper!

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Super Poster

Ten years ago at 50 years old my doctor prescribed Creator. I took it like a good little sheep for 18 months, by the end of the 18 months, I was having to use a walker to get up from sitting, once walking things seemed to "loosen up" muscle wise, but I had no energy. When I complained to my doctor about muscle pain, she wanted to send me to a pain clinic. At that point I took myself off Crestor and it took months for things to get somewhat back to normal. Still seems like there is some muscle loss in my legs to this day.
Now a days a doctor is just an advisor to me.
jeff_MDR likes this.
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your opinion!
Your drug company is trying to kill you for profit . TheReaper!

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

To and for any one who still thinks statins are good for you , do this GOOGLE "statins are poison" and start your research there .

TheReaper!

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.