Another old guy off the bike - Page 5 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Stem cell injections.....Rejuv Medical.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:13 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati14 View Post
I have had a successful knee replacement on the left (tore a meniscus in my first high school football practice - in those days they just removed it instead of fixing/repairing it). I now have stirrings of wanting to do the right knee as well - it hates airports and malls and anything else that is acres of walking on concrete-like surfaces. They went back into that knee when some surgical cement broke off and jammed in the joint; but while cleaning it out they replaced the teflon knuckle cups so I am good for another 30,000 miles. Or so.

I trigger the security equipment at airports whenever I fly now, and I have yet to be allowed through security without the total wand-and-glove check and pat-down.

I think it is probably easier, from a healing/recovery/rehab point of view, to do one knee at a time. Also if they screw up, they only screw up one joint at a time and you can consider other options or other surgeons if that happens.

My rehab was done in a big room where others were also moving through the different exercise stations. There seems to me to be a benefit in the collegiality that this inspires. I was very gung-ho myself and pursued recovery with vigor. I bungeed my cane to my Honda Hawk and parked across the street in a mall parking lot while doing my hospital rehab 3 times a week. When I came out one day the bike was gone - it had been towed because the towing company had apparently snitches that watched for people crossing from the mall parking to the hospital.

Walking is good exercise I know but it is way over-rated for people without knee or hip cartilage. Once you get the replacements then reconsider getting back to walking - without pain.

My two cents.
I've watched a number of these surgeries and one thing is evident. The surgeon has to be strong enough to lift and manipulate the dead weight of your leg to check the function of the joint. Tight enough to keep it from popping side to side without being too tight to get a good range of motion.

A denimutive surgeon can get assistance to lift the leg but loose most of the ability to feel the tiny lateral movement associated with a loose joint.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 AM

Had a full knee joint 2 years ago and it was whilst recovering discovered twist and go scoots in a 50cc Piaggio,loved it so much now graduated to a Burgman650.Alls well with new knee,bone on bone on other side and hip gone too but riding a maxi scoot given me chance to carry on riding.

Never look down on anyone,unless you're helping them up.

2016 Burgman Executive 650.
1977 Honda Hawk Hondamatic.
1983 Honda Superdream.
2006 Harley Soft tail.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego joe View Post
I'm sure that this has been gone over before, but a trike is not all that great a replacement for a scooter. Some of us see it as a chair with 3 wheels and no leaning on turns. Half the fun of riding is missing.
If I were faced with having difficulty holding up the bike, I would seriously consider a Piaggio MP 3. Still leans in corners and the front wheel orientation can be locked with a button at stops so, the feet don't even have to go down. Unlocks automatically at a few MPH when starting back up. I rode with a guy with MS that could no longer hold up his bike. That was four years ago and, he is still riding an MP3.

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Maniac View Post
If I were faced with having difficulty holding up the bike, I would seriously consider a Piaggio MP 3. Still leans in corners and the front wheel orientation can be locked with a button at stops so, the feet don't even have to go down. Unlocks automatically at a few MPH when starting back up. I rode with a guy with MS that could no longer hold up his bike. That was four years ago and, he is still riding an MP3.
Happy New Year Maniac:
The mp3 has a very high CG and seat height. This means that it is very tippy and if it goes more than a little off vertical at a standstill, it quickly reaches the tilt of no return. Even for strong knees over you go before you get a toe down. It is hard to get the lock on just before a stop, so most riders put feet down first then lock up.

Riders without firm knees should avoid the mp3. I have firm knees and sold my mp3 for other reasons. Typical reason would be changing the CVT belt every 6K miles !! I was spoiled by owning an AN400K9 before the mp3.

Old Burgman riders never die..they just fade away.

Home to that place that we all will someday stay.

A place in the sky where everyone rides every day.

And that is my epitaph....

Last edited by san diego joe; 01-01-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clarify text
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Poster

Happy New Year.Burgmanusans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydave View Post
Had a full knee joint 2 years ago and it was whilst recovering discovered twist and go scoots in a 50cc Piaggio,loved it so much now graduated to a Burgman650.Alls well with new knee,bone on bone on other side and hip gone too but riding a maxi scoot given me chance to carry on riding.
Luckydave,

Do u have plans for a subsequent knee and hip replacement? Knee replacement number 2 is in the contemplation stage for me. Since I always get stopped at airports anyway, I can get two titanium knees through airport security for the price of one airport pat down and frisk.

More apropos of the 3-wheel discussion taking place, I am kind of taken by the concept of the side car. There are many many of these in everyday use in CUBA - they'll accomodate groceries, the kids, a TV set. I can retire to Puerto Vallarta and make spending money delivering pizza from a side car on weekends. (If you have seen the cobblestone streets of Puerto Vallarta in the rain, three wheels is the only safe way to go.)

Now I say this having never operated such a unit and I do wonder about the technique involved when wanting to change direction. Anybody have experiences driving a bike with side-car that could expound on the proclivities of that kind of locomotion?

(And much thanks to the forum poster a while back who added the sidecar motorcycle race documentary. Talk about fearless in the face of loosing one's head on a fire hydrant! Whoa!).

Let me ride 'til I croak.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:46 PM

I was supposed to have both knees done same time but last minute decision with surgeon had the worst one done only with next one in near future plus possible hip,good getting old isn't it? Lol.I owned a BSA 650 with a sidecar attached many years ago and soon got hang of riding it,we have sidecars on left side so keep power on on left handers or sidecar will lift right handers not a problem,great fun to ride

Never look down on anyone,unless you're helping them up.

2016 Burgman Executive 650.
1977 Honda Hawk Hondamatic.
1983 Honda Superdream.
2006 Harley Soft tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.