Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgman 400 trike kit

15K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  billfrankyuu 
#1 ·
Dansontrikes.com has pictures of his new kit for the burgman400 on his web site for those who are interested. 8) Wayne

#3 ·
Cool. I'm having the Tow-Pac wheels put on my 400 right now. Suppose to be done Sunday. I would prefer Danson, but just didn't want to wait, and didn't have the extra $1000. They sure look good though.
db

#4 ·
gunfighter, why do you feel you have to ridicule someones set of wheels which looks like a trike, or could be called stabilizers or anything other than you famous 'training wheels' jargon?? Does it make you feel superior because you can ride a scooter without such a device? What is wrong with calling it a trike? Training wheels is an obvious put down to anyone who uses them. Why don't the companies who make them call them training wheels? Probably because they know that the people using them don't need more training to use a bike without them. They need them to feel secure or at least safe. They may have a medical condition or probably because they have poor balance or they have a muscle weakness or maybe even an amputation such as I have. Now I don't need a trike kit at this point as I have good balance and coordination, however, I can envision a day where I would need one. If I get to that stage, I would rather them be called a trike kit or a stabilizer kit rather than training wheels. I bet many people who use these kits have had bikes without these kits and could out-ride you on two wheels at one point in their life. Now they can continue to enjoy riding with their trike well into their later years. I now ask you, is it a form of put down for you to call them training wheels?? Oh yeah, and the comment 'its pretty, but its not a trike', - is that meant as a further derogatory comment? I sure take it that way, as I don't see a smiley face beside your comment????

Reactions: suziblu
#14 · (Edited)
I have a trike. I am not condemning people who can not ride two wheeler any more.

A trike by definition is a three wheel vehicle, powered or otherwise. These so called trike kits add two extra nonpowered wheels to a vehicle. Two plus two is four. These kits make the scooter a quad. (Four )

My trike has three wheels, and can be ridden by any one with the use of two hands. I spent a lot less purchasing my trike than these rip off "TRIKE' kits.
l have one leg and l,m 77 , its great for me
Bill, first, Welcome to the forums. Tell us more about your bike.

Now, if you read this whole thread it is about the add on outrigger kits that add two wheels to the bikes two wheels. This makes them a QUAD and that is all Gunnphiter was saying. You can not really call these trikes in most areas, Washington State says 3 tires touching the road is a trike. 4 wheels is not.

All of the posters above have not been back on in 5 years or so. So calling Gunphiter a rude name is empty and he will not defend himself.

Reactions: JRoss
#5 ·
adentre said:
gunfighter, why do you feel you have to ridicule someones set of wheels which looks like a trike, or could be called stabilizers or anything other than you famous 'training wheels' jargon?? Does it make you feel superior because you can ride a scooter without such a device? What is wrong with calling it a trike? Training wheels is an obvious put down to anyone who uses them. Why don't the companies who make them call them training wheels? Probably because they know that the people using them don't need more training to use a bike without them. They need them to feel secure or at least safe. They may have a medical condition or probably because they have poor balance or they have a muscle weakness or maybe even an amputation such as I have. Now I don't need a trike kit at this point as I have good balance and coordination, however, I can envision a day where I would need one. If I get to that stage, I would rather them be called a trike kit or a stabilizer kit rather than training wheels. I bet many people who use these kits have had bikes without these kits and could out-ride you on two wheels at one point in their life. Now they can continue to enjoy riding with their trike well into their later years. I now ask you, is it a form of put down for you to call them training wheels?? Oh yeah, and the comment 'its pretty, but its not a trike', - is that meant as a further derogatory comment? I sure take it that way, as I don't see a smiley face beside your comment????
Thanks Andy. I'm having Tow-Pac put on because I have a rare back disease that has me so bent over I seriously cannot see in front of me when I walk. Can't turn my head in either direction either. Plus my spine is extremely brittle. I can't afford to fall over even going 2 mph, so just to be safe, I'm having the TRIKE wheels put on. I just ignore remarks like that. This way I still get to ride!!!!! Heck I feel like I'm blessed. I'm on disability now and if I save my money the right way I can ride cross country taking all the time I want. In fact I'm ordering a trailer to pull a tent. I can't sleep lying down, so in the trailer with a tent, I'm taking a lounge chair so I can sleep in it. If there's a will - there's a way !!!!!
db

#6 ·
It is great that people who wouldn't be able to manage on two wheels any more, due to injury or illness, have the option of trikes. I am 65, and am fortunate enough to not have to worry about that right now, but who knows what is in the future? Technically, though, the Danson and other "trike" kits turn a scooter into a "quad", that LOOKS like a trike, but since the original rear drive wheel remains in place, there are actually FOUR wheels on the ground. I guess, in a way that would sort of be like "training wheels", in that they stabilize the bike, but don't drive it. But it is a good way to get the "trike effect" without all the expense and trouble of replacing the rear wheel with some sort of differential drive mechanism. The important thing is that it looks great and keeps you out on the road with the rest of us, don't you think?

#7 ·
rbparks said:
Technically, though, the Danson and other "trike" kits turn a scooter into a "quad", that LOOKS like a trike, but since the original rear drive wheel remains in place, there are actually FOUR wheels on the ground.
I guess technically you're right, but I'm not that technical. To me, it's just a cheap trike. If I had an extra $30,000 I would get a new Goldwing trike. Tow-Pac is 1/10th that price, and I still get to have the "Burgman grin" :D
db

#9 ·
I have a trike. I am not condemning people who can not ride two wheeler any more.

A trike by definition is a three wheel vehicle, powered or otherwise. These so called trike kits add two extra nonpowered wheels to a vehicle. Two plus two is four. These kits make the scooter a quad. (Four )

My trike has three wheels, and can be ridden by any one with the use of two hands. I spent a lot less purchasing my trike than these rip off "TRIKE' kits.

#11 · (Edited)
haroldl10, Welcome to BUSA from Sunny Tampa Bay Florida! I see your first post is responding to thread from 2008 (Nine year old thread)! That's OK, some of these old threads need a bump and could use reviving! I suppose any of those people in that thread are no longer even here anymore, but good to hear from you anyhow.

Yes, Trike kits are a good option if you need one. Myself, I will stay on two wheels for as long as I can, I like leanng in the curves.
There are several threads here about the trike kits, just use the SEARCH feature to find what you are looking for.

Please fill out your personal profile so we can see where you are at and what scooter you have (or want).
Cheers!

#15 ·
These kits are designed to help a person that can no longer ride on 2 wheels. Maybe instead of selling a bike you already have you can convert it into a tryke and keep riding. Yes they look like training wheels. Yes you have 4 wheels instead of 3 but I think the idea is to give them the Tryke appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.