Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

First 600 mile service on Burgman 200

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  kxj5906 
#1 ·
I read the discussion thread on first service 600 miles on Burgman 650.
I have my 200 . First service on 600 miles next week, but I am not sure it is worth to put my scooter for first service at Suzuki shop. Should I go non-Suzuki service shop? How much cost I expect to pay the service for the 600 mile break in. The Suzuki dealer gave me the coupon for first service will cost me $200.

#2 ·
That a lot cheaper than what I paid for my 600 mile service. I would be more worried about the quality of the service at the dealership. The dealer changed the engine oil,transmission oil and rear drive fluid. Found out in a few days after the service all 3 tasks were done incorrectly. Engine oil drain plug not torqued properly it was leaking. The transmission oil was way overfilled as was the rear drive. I did go back to the dealer to let them know but they did not seem to be to concerned.

#3 ·
600 mile service

Just my opinion: Save the money and put it toward a factory service manual to guide you through future services. I did that with my 2013 650 and am glad I did. The work is not difficult or complicated and dealer service is often less than thorough or appropriate.

#11 ·
Just my opinion: Save the money and put it toward a factory service manual to guide you through future services. I did that with my 2013 650 and am glad I did. The work is not difficult or complicated and dealer service is often less than thorough or appropriate.
I agree. I have saved over $4500 by doing my own maintenance including valve adjustments, brake fluid bleeds, oil changes, and the like

#4 ·
Even better, go to Le Dude's website and follow his simple DIY instructions. After my dealer totaly screwed me on my first service on my 650, I was able to do all subsequent 3 fluid changes in less than 1 hour. I didn't even have to remove the plastic, except for the middle floor hump. One other thing, go to synthetic for a quieter ride.

#5 ·
The dealer gave you a coupon for the first service so go there. They aren't all incompetent. Get to know the service dept because you probably will want to talk to them once in a while.

After that, do the routine maintenance yourself--it's fun!

Sam:)

#6 ·
It is obvious that quality of service varies. The hourly rate makes most Dealers
expensive. If you find a good dealer, I believe, they are worth it. Some of the Forum members have excellent technical skills and probably do a better job than a local shop.
I lack the experience or "Mechanical Brain Lobe" to do the work.

My father was a Automotive Service Manager. He was a fanatic on correct maintenance. I have found a decent dealer and do blow some bucks maintaining
my 2007 Burgman 400AN. They have done a super job and have kept me on the
road without a single breakdown or problem for the last 40,000 miles.

I am a detail "Nut Case". If I could do the work, I would "Detail Nut Case" it.
I can not, so I rely on a dealer that has served me well.

Bob Minnesota

#8 ·
If you hate the dealer, why do you buy a new bike or scooter from them?
Make your own and save your money.

Dealers are like people, some are good and some are bad.

I can do most of my service work, but my brother is much better off with a dealer AND an extended warranty.

Scoot safely,

#10 ·
I had the dealer take care of the 600 mile service so I would have any issues god forbid I had to take the bike in for warranty work they couldnt turn around and say the warranty was void. Yes I could have done it myself for muuuuuch less and as it turned out I checked the transmission and final drive to find they didn't change out those fluids. As they are saying not all dealers are incompetent, the choice is yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.