Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

2014 Suzuki Burgman 200/ABS

43K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  MacDoc 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks like they used at least stock footage from Los Angeles (the Westin Bonaventure in the first scene is the giveaway), suggesting that they do intend to sell it here. Why else use a California location, when there are equally dramatic locations in Japan?

The only odd thing I saw was that the rider had his feet flat on the floorboard the whole time, rather than up against the back side of the fairing. Was that a choice by the ad's director, or is the angled-up section of the floorboards not useful on the 200s?

#7 ·
It's a good looking bike. I'd love to test ride it. Might be a great round-town bike, with the occasional freeway mixed in. My guess is it will perform like the old Helix 250s given that the new Burgle has fuel injection and a few other performance upgrades probably. So 75 on the freeway, that's respectable.

#87 ·
That sucker is a dead ringer for the VOG.

The local Suzi dealer had one in stock...sadly for him, it's stayed in stock. But what hit me was that the seat seemed IDENTICAL to the VOG I had; and the dashboard and controls eerily similar...nearly identical.

Minor difference in the forward tupperware. But it's now obvious what the Xingyue VOG was...just a marketing of the smaller Burg in markets where, at that time, the small Burg wasn't sold.

Maybe not coincidentally, the VOG has disappeared from the American market.

#8 ·
I stopped at my local dealer today and the manager just got back from the Suzuki meeting.....Burgman 200 is slated for Canada as well next year, matte black or white for colors and standard ABS. MSRP is $4999.

Looks like another Burg for the household as my daughter is very interested in getting her license next spring.

#9 ·
For $1100 more, the Forza (with ABS) to me is a better choice being fully highway capable as opposed to the Burg which is marginally highway capable. Of course this evaluation could change as rider reports start to flow. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the Burg and it turns out to be a beast on the highway.

#16 ·
I cant see why the Burg 200 wouldnt do 75-80 mph for top speed. But I guess we'll see.
err, I can. Too few CCs trying to push a barn door of a fairing - it's called wind resistance. You may ultimately hit 75 on a good day, but sustained comfortable cruising speed will more likely be 55-60.

#11 ·
I follow multiple forums. We have a Honda PCX as well as a Burgman 400. We have been considering trading up to a Burgman 200 when they are finally offered here in the USA. Any way, there is a rider in France who has a PCX and went to a Suzuki dealer just to look. He ended up purchasing a Burgman 200 Executive, which we won't be getting here, but the link is very interesting. He does a good review on it. Here is the link. http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2037&hilit=b200

#12 ·
Quick notes from that discussion: Easily cruises ("3/4-5/6 throttle") at 60-62 MPH actual (assuming a typical Suzuki 10% speedometer error), has a top speed somewhere above 66 MPH*, and is stable at those speeds. Airflow from passing trucks is a nuisance but not alarming.

This definitely sounds freeway-usable in urban traffic, but not suitable for Interstate highways outside urban areas.

*I've seen 75 MPH mentioned in a review, but it wasn't clear if the reviewer took the speedometer at face value. If they did, that would have been an actual 68 MPH -- which agrees with the "123 kph...[with]... probably a *bit* more there" from the other forum's discussion.

#13 ·
Our Honda PCX 150 can go 67 mph true. I would expect the 200 to do a little better. I have a GPS and have tested mine, so I know what it does. Also, almost everyone on the Honda PCX forum agrees that its maximum speed is 67 mph. I am either going to keep the pcx or trade up to the Burgman 200. It will all depend on whether the B200 can do 70 - 75 mph true.

#14 ·
Mel,

That engine in your PCX has been around for some time and is bullet proof as it's essentially the same as I have in my Honda SH150i (with the PCX tuned more to mpg and the SH more to power, hence the difference in h.p. numbers). Anyways, the question is not really top end, but can it hold the top end with wind and hills (e.g. the SH has a top end of 70 mph per GPS, but any kind of hills or head wind will knock that number down). So with that thought, the Burgy 200 might not top that 70 mph number as it's a little porky at 362 lbs (I think the PCX is under 300), but the few extra horses should help it hold that top end better.

So IMHO, I'd keep the PCX as you'll not get anywhere close to the mpg on the Burgy 200 and I'd expect the performance to not be too much better with neither being recommended highway commuters (your 400 is much better in that role).

My questions about the 200 Burgman are, what kind of bhp & torque will the 200cc engine produce and in what ways are the engine limited (e.g. my SH is rev limited)?

#15 · (Edited)
So, what is the cc limit on the freeway, 200 or 250 cc? If it is 250, as I suspect it is, what is the answer for my wife, who is short, loves scooters, but wants to go with me even though it sometimes means getting on the freeway for a few exits? Right now the PCX 150 can keep up and she is comfortable on it, though she has to wear boots with 3 inch soles. When she rides my Burgman she can touch the ground and says it is like riding a Cadillac. Unfortunately, it is a bit too bulky for her, since she is only 5 feet tall, with an inseam of around 27 or 28 inches. That makes it hard to find a scooter she can fit on. She can ride a motor cycle because they are already low, (she has been looking at the Yamaha V-star 250). However, as with many of us old folks, her hands hurt after awhile so using the clutch a lot would be a pain. We bought a lower seat for the PCX but she still has to wear those boots, and couldn't get a boot with a sole any lower than 2" now. I am hoping the Burgman 200 seat is similar to the seat on the 400. However, I am not going to buy a new scooter JUST for the seat height, unless she wants it bad enough. There is the delima .

#17 ·
Hay Mel
I didn't look too hard
but the only reference to size on the Interstate was
the vehicle must be able to maintain or exceed
the minimum speed limit.
So in GA, I believe it is 40mph min. :sad3:
Now there is no way I would even consider riding our
interstates at less than maybe warp 1 except maybe on Sunday morning when everyone is in church.
And if logic has any place in our world :compress:
Spec from Suzuki USA on scooters.
400 has 14/13 tires and a seat height of 28 inches.
200 has 13/12 tires and a seat height of 28.9 inches. :confused:

So, back to the drawing board :D

#19 ·
The important thing is, if its only for a few exits and you don't need to merge over sveral lanes, the 200 should be fine just as here PCX is, but if a 250 with a low seat height is wanted, then maybe a used Morphius would do the trick, but I do find it butt ugly.

#20 ·
Almost every Interstate requires that engine displacement be greater than 125cc. Here in Kentucky there is a sign that says this on the on-ramps to the interstate. Additionally according to the Kentucky State Police you are required to exceed the minimum interstate speed limit of 45 miles per hour regardless of terrain, wind, etc.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#21 ·
Here in Kentucky there is a sign that says this on the on-ramps to the interstate. Additionally according to the Kentucky State Police you are required to exceed the minimum interstate speed limit of 45 miles per hour regardless of terrain, wind, etc.
It's this way in Florida too, but we don't have any signage about cc requirements.

#23 ·
I have yet to find the law about engine size on freeways but I read recently on another forum that the police stopped a group of riders and handed out tickets to those whose bike was under 250 cc's. I think there is something wrong with the system if no one can find the law concerning that, the bike dealers don't know about it and the riders have never been told about it. How do you obey a law no one knows exists???

#27 ·
I think I read somewhere that a Honda PCX 150 is around 13.5 bhp... That should be more than adequate. It tops out at 67 mph without any major modifications to it though I know that the variator can be swapped out to increase top end. There is also a light bore kit for it to increase the cc from 153 cc to 175cc. Then the question would concern weight of the scooter once it is on the freeway. It is a light scooter, weighing around 280 lbs.

#29 · (Edited)
http://youtu.be/g5ExjHpAigg.

Here's an example of a burgman 125 going 120 kph, (an actual of about 70 mph) so id imagine the 200 should be able to top it, most likely 80 mph, so you could ride the interstate with it...You don't HAVE to go the same speed as every other Tom, Dick, and Harry...People fly be me all the time on the interstate, i don't care, i'll set the pace of traffic if i'm in front...i'm riding a bike built for confident men!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.