Burgman 200 Battery Went Flat - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Burgman 200 Battery Went Flat

Hi, my YTX9-BS battery went flat and so I changed a new one, same brand Yuasa and same model, but it still went flat after about 3 days of non-use.
I measured the parasitic current draw, is about 2mA, and at 5000 rpm, the voltage is about 14 volts.
I am at a lost why the battery went flat.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
captainfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Poster

Garage
My idea is that you should give info on yourself, your current and past scooters, where are you? and also more about the situation that led up to this problem.

No need to post twice, but we do need more to go on.

Old Burgman riders never die..they just fade away.

Home to that place that we all will someday stay.

A place in the sky where everyone rides every day.

And that is my epitaph....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Insane Poster

Was the new battery fully charged when it was put away for three days? New ones often need to be "topped off" when you first get them. Maybe put it on a charger for 24 hours and try it again.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Insane Poster

Well Armadillo, (I like that name, very popular in TEXAS) seems like you did exactly the right thing, checking the charging voltage (14 Volts) and checking the parasitic current draw (2 ma). All looks well there. Possibly something is drawing the battery down when you aren't looking? One thing to try is to remove the battery, charge it fully, then let it sit for 3 days and see if it holds the full charge. This will determine if there is a problem with the battery or not. If the battery stays charged, reinstall it and put a Battery Tender Plug on the battery terminals, then place it on a float or trickle charger to keep it charged.
Since you are new here, Welcome to BUSA from Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel to tell us about your bike, location, etc.
Please add your location onto the Burgman Owners Map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1693807#
Cheers!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 01-21-2017 at 04:41 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Super Poster

Should'n it still be under warranty? If not, try this. Put your phone on video, lay it under the seat and shut it. Pull it out and see if the seat bucket light turned off when the seat was closed from the video. That's the only thing I can think of. If you replaced a good battery with another good battery (truly doubt they were/are bad) it was a waste of money, but I have done the same thing in the past. Im still on my O.E.M. battery at 10,000 miles in the first year. The longest my Burg. 200 has sat non ridden was 5 days straight/never started/no tender/in below freezing weather when it snowed. It was outside with a cheap cover on it. Started right up no problem. Under normal conditions it gets ridden everyday. Let us know what you find.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Battery Flat - "Check Trunk Box Light"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Should'n it still be under warranty? If not, try this. Put your phone on video, lay it under the seat and shut it. Pull it out and see if the seat bucket light turned off when the seat was closed from the video. That's the only thing I can think of. If you replaced a good battery with another good battery (truly doubt they were/are bad) it was a waste of money, but I have done the same thing in the past. Im still on my O.E.M. battery at 10,000 miles in the first year. The longest my Burg. 200 has sat non ridden was 5 days straight/never started/no tender/in below freezing weather when it snowed. It was outside with a cheap cover on it. Started right up no problem. Under normal conditions it gets ridden everyday. Let us know what you find.
Thanks sc00ter,

I think you hit the nail, because lately I didn't think to close my trunk box. I just dump my helmet in and left. I studied the wiring yesterday and discover that the trunk box light is directly hook up to the battery through the trunk switch. The Gel battery is 8AH and the trunk light is 3.4W, so it works out 0.283A and the battery will goes flat in about 28 hours, slightly over a day. OK, it sounds logical, so I will fit the battery up later. I think your video handphone method will definitely work.

I have charged the battery using the special Gel battery charger and the battery hold the voltage over a night. I think the battery survive this time round. Though the battery is still under warranty, cause is new, but is my mistake here. I will *REMEMBER* to close the trunk box from now on.
I didn't know there is a light in the trunk box, LOL. You see, I just passed my bike license and Burgman 200 is my first bike. So this always catch the inexperience rider, I think and Man!, it cost me One Gel $battery and a lot of time in it. Glad that it should be solved soon.

But Burgman should have installed some fail safe and fool-proof circuit out of this simple light switch problem that can kill a battery. Maybe like time-out circuit, some sought.

There is another thing I learnt out of this episode and want to share here. Jump-Start the scooter. That's why it killed the first battery. Because it's a gel battery and it don't like to be jump starter when the battery is flat because a lot of current will be charging the battery. Per my experience, the scooter alternator may also be damaged because it's not designed to rapidly charge the battery from zero and run the scooter. Fortunately the scooter engine stopped shortly because the alternator cannot supplied the current draw. Luckily for me, the alternator was not damaged. But I think I did put a strain on it. The first Gel Battery was damaged and had an internal short. So, never jump start when a Gel battery is installed. Expensive lesson learnt.

Thank you all.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 AM
Super Poster

I have a clunker 01 Ford Ranger and if you leave a door ajar (with the interior light on) or headlights on the truck will shut itself down to protect the battery from going dead. It has come in handy several times as the seat belt will catch in the door every now and then. To bad Suzuki couldn't do the same with the trunk light. If the trunk light proves to be the cause of your dead battery, for extra piece of mind you could either remove the bulb (its not that great of a trunk light anyways) or replace it with a led bulb (what I may do, hopefully brighter!). My full face helmet fits better laying on its side under the seat. If I set it in upright the seat does not close right, thus leaving the trunk light on, hence the video phone idea.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
I have a clunker 01 Ford Ranger and if you leave a door ajar (with the interior light on) or headlights on the truck will shut itself down to protect the battery from going dead. It has come in handy several times as the seat belt will catch in the door every now and then. To bad Suzuki couldn't do the same with the trunk light. If the trunk light proves to be the cause of your dead battery, for extra piece of mind you could either remove the bulb (its not that great of a trunk light anyways) or replace it with a led bulb (what I may do, hopefully brighter!). My full face helmet fits better laying on its side under the seat. If I set it in upright the seat does not close right, thus leaving the trunk light on, hence the video phone idea.

Removing the trunk box light box is a good idea as I don't need it anyway. BUT, have to remove the front and lower frame cover. It's not a easy job. Hope someone can put up a Youtube video how to dismantle the front and lower frame cover to dismantle the bulb.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Thanks sc00ter,

I think you hit the nail, because lately I didn't think to close my trunk box. I just dump my helmet in and left. I studied the wiring yesterday and discover that the trunk box light is directly hook up to the battery through the trunk switch. The Gel battery is 8AH and the trunk light is 3.4W, so it works out 0.283A and the battery will goes flat in about 28 hours, slightly over a day. OK, it sounds logical, so I will fit the battery up later. I think your video handphone method will definitely work.

I have charged the battery using the special Gel battery charger and the battery hold the voltage over a night. I think the battery survive this time round. Though the battery is still under warranty, cause is new, but is my mistake here. I will *REMEMBER* to close the trunk box from now on.
I didn't know there is a light in the trunk box, LOL. You see, I just passed my bike license and Burgman 200 is my first bike. So this always catch the inexperience rider, I think and Man!, it cost me One Gel $battery and a lot of time in it. Glad that it should be solved soon.

But Burgman should have installed some fail safe and fool-proof circuit out of this simple light switch problem that can kill a battery. Maybe like time-out circuit, some sought.

There is another thing I learnt out of this episode and want to share here. Jump-Start the scooter. That's why it killed the first battery. Because it's a gel battery and it don't like to be jump starter when the battery is flat because a lot of current will be charging the battery. Per my experience, the scooter alternator may also be damaged because it's not designed to rapidly charge the battery from zero and run the scooter. Fortunately the scooter engine stopped shortly because the alternator cannot supplied the current draw. Luckily for me, the alternator was not damaged. But I think I did put a strain on it. The first Gel Battery was damaged and had an internal short. So, never jump start when a Gel battery is installed. Expensive lesson learnt.

Thank you all.

So have you confirmed that it was the trunk light?

Also, I've read a few threads here stating they were able to jump start their scooter using 12v car battery (engine not running) without issues.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
So have you confirmed that it was the trunk light?

Also, I've read a few threads here stating they were able to jump start their scooter using 12v car battery (engine not running) without issues.

Yes confirmed, its the trunk light for sure, catch newbies every time. One tiny light bulb, in the day time, I cannot visualize it ever existed in the trunk.

I think you would be able to jump start provided;

1) the battery is not flat like Zero Volt
2) you are using lead acid battery.

Based on my bad experience, I would not recommend it if you are using Gel Type Battery because manufacturer written clearly, never allow the charging current to exceed 9A. Please note charger for lead acid accumulator cannot be used on Gel Type Battery, at least that's what the manufacturer said and what Burgman manual said. I mean, Who ever read manual, right? I don't, of course, until problems happened, right? I paid and learnt the hard way.

Anyway, I hope to disable the trunk light but at the mean time, I will just slam the trunk shut and never ever have to jump start again.... Hopefully... Cheers
captainfish likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.