Here we go with a problem.... - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Here we go with a problem....

Oh boy. First this stupid Burgman 200 shudders from a takeoff, like-all the time. Ok, look inside and the clutch bell is blue as crap but everything else looks good and measures in spec. Sand the clutch shoes and the inside of the bell and its a bit better, but not perfect. Now, I have this issue. Buzzin' along at 65mph @ 8000 rpm's and try to pass-and the transmission slips! I know, don't go on the expressway. Whatever. I'm not very impressed with this Burgman 200 now that it hit 10,000 miles. My SYM CityCom never had a transmission issues until it hit 40,000. My Helix hit 20,000 and I had some minor stuff to address. My Genuine Buddy 125 has 12,000 miles and runs great. Anyways, not the legendary quality I was expecting. Gonna try and pull it apart this weekend. Need to get my Buddy back (on loan) and make sure I know were the keys are to the Spyder if need be. Let everyone know what I find when I figure it out. In the meantime, wanna guess? I'm thinking the Z50 variator curse has caught up with me. Thats my guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:23 AM
Insane Poster

Sounds like a Lemon Burgie.

Burgman 650 '04 Exec black (too much a scoot)
Last true 400.
Suzuki DL1000. (gone but still most miles)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Oh boy. First this stupid Burgman 200 shudders from a takeoff, like-all the time. Ok, look inside and the clutch bell is blue as crap but everything else looks good and measures in spec. Sand the clutch shoes and the inside of the bell and its a bit better, but not perfect. Now, I have this issue. Buzzin' along at 65mph @ 8000 rpm's and try to pass-and the transmission slips! I know, don't go on the expressway. Whatever. I'm not very impressed with this Burgman 200 now that it hit 10,000 miles. My SYM CityCom never had a transmission issues until it hit 40,000. My Helix hit 20,000 and I had some minor stuff to address. My Genuine Buddy 125 has 12,000 miles and runs great. Anyways, not the legendary quality I was expecting. Gonna try and pull it apart this weekend. Need to get my Buddy back (on loan) and make sure I know were the keys are to the Spyder if need be. Let everyone know what I find when I figure it out. In the meantime, wanna guess? I'm thinking the Z50 variator curse has caught up with me. Thats my guess.
Please define and describe "transmission slips" as you are experiencing it.
The drive belt may slip if contaminated with something. (water or oil for example) The clutch may slip for those same reasons. Drive belt, pulley faces, clutch bell and shoes can be cleaned with brake cleaner spray leaving no residue. It is not likely the gears themselves that may be "slipping" The clutch bell being blue is indicative of high temperate heat from friction; rather a lack of adequate friction to fully engage the clutch.

Things that may contribute to need for increased rpms to maintain a particular range of speed could be belt wear, grooving in pulley faces (which may happen because of running for cumulative long periods at given speeds or from some form of grit/contamination carried along by the belt that will eventually wear down the aluminum faces forming grooves) Could worn, flat spotted or sticking variator rollers be a contributing factor in need for ^ rpms? BTW, aren't the pulley faces at the clutch end actually made of steel and not subject to wear in the same way that the aluminum variator faces are?

Southeast Michigan Darkside rider

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by bandito2; 12-08-2016 at 12:55 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Z50

Thinking about selling my 200. My second variator has groves in it and Im just a little over 10,000 miles total. I need something a little more reliable. I don't want to spend $500 every 6 months.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Bandito2, the "Z50 curse" is when the variator gets grooved near the top (high speed runs) and allows the belt to slip. This transmission is kinda junky in that it shudders on take off and now slips on top end, not exactly the quality that Suzuki is known for. If I decide to fix it, as I to am thinking of selling mine, I will try Malossi products instead of the weak Suzuki O.E.M. trash. This is not something Im willing to deal with at the price I paid for this scooter. If it were Chinese I would accept it as part of the low buy in price. I still suspect its the "fixed" torque driver spring as the culprit. Have yet to tear into it. What are you thinking of next Z50? Wife and I dont really go far anymore on 2 wheels so Im thinking another Genuine product. Hooligan 170i or maybe a Honda PCX 150. Now, if we start riding far again (dont really see it happening) it would be a Honda Silverwing 600. I would make space for one of those! But I may just try my fix the Burgman and see what happens. Its paid for and has yet to leave me stranded.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Z50

I half wonder if the fixed clutch spring is to stiff, but the wear is on the variator. Metal is just to soft. I don't do wide open runs and it never slipped, but i do ride for hours at 7000-7500 RPMs. The Malossi may fix half the problem, but you only get one side of the variator. If it were both halves it would be a no brainer. Motor in my opinion is very strong. love it. In the mean time I will continue to voice my complaint to Suzuki. I call them once a month, maybe I should do more frequently. sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Insane Poster

Malossi usually carries the torque-multiplier springs too.

Burgman 650 '04 Exec black (too much a scoot)
Last true 400.
Suzuki DL1000. (gone but still most miles)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Yes Bolzen, Malossi makes a bunch of springs. I like them because their ratings are standardized. A yellow torque spring for a 50cc is the same rpm in 600cc. No weird color changes when selecting springs (unlike Polini and Stage 6-yikes what a mess!) Just have to measure and order. I think its the torque spring, but not it being too stiff. I think the hooks at each end to "fix/lock" it in place are not letting the sheaves open all the way, not allowing the belt to fully drop during high speed runs. I work with a Dr. in mechanical engineering who also used to race scooters in Germany and he is curious to take a look when I pull everything apart. Oh, and Z50-why $500? The front drive is around $100ish, belt around $100ish. Did you replace the rear torque driver also? I know adding in all the little things (rollers, springs, etc.) adds up FAST! What all did you replace? Just curios so I have a idea what Im in for.

Last edited by sc00ter; 12-10-2016 at 06:55 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Insane Poster

Yes, Sc00ter $ Z50, sell your 200's and buy 400's, problem solved. Don't get a Honda Silver Wing for many reasons, headlights not as good as Burgman 400, only single brake on front, less storage space under the seat, weighs more than the 400, less weight carrying capacity than the 400, bad gas mileage, etc. And of course the 400 has the legendary reliability. Mines got 33,000 miles and running great on the original variator, and still on the second clutch and the second belt. The 400 is great around town and great on the highway, best all around all purpose scooter.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Heck no! After getting the "wear item" crap from Suzuki when I had the dealership look at it under warranty Im not going back to a Suzuki product. If I just happen to get a lemon 400, I will be on my own again! Impress me with the entry level stuff before I buy something bigger and more expensive. Shame that Yamaha Zuma 125 I had left me stranded so many times and Yamaha said NO when I took it in, and it was only 2 weeks out of warranty, because I promised myself I would get a Tmax next-not after that nightmare! I will try and fix the 200 and see how it does. Regardless, when its time to move on and up, a Suzuki product will not be on my list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.