Why a 200 and not a 400? (first impressions at 100 miles) - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Why a 200 and not a 400? (first impressions at 100 miles)

Yes, I bought a new 2016 Burgman 200, and it's pretty much exactly what I'd expected, in a good way.

The main reason I got it instead of a 400 is that I already have a 650, so I already have a big, fast, and heavy scooter for when I want or need that. The problem was that my small, agile, and light scooter (a 150cc Vespa) was just not quite up to the longer freeway runs that my recent move has made necessary. It'll do them (and has), but it's a little bit out of its element. I'm keeping it, though, since it's still a blast to ride and it's still a handsome little bike.

So, first impressions:
- It's a 3/4 scale model of a 400.
- Apparently the target customer is 5 feet tall with a 27 inch inseam. I'm 5'4", 29" inseam and it works for me, but a taller windshield might be nice. (Does any manufacturer include correctly-sized windscreens as stock features? Didn't think so.) I suspect that you'll find it cramped if your inseam is much over 32". If you don't fit, well, that's what they make the 400 for. But it's nice that it allows a vertically-challenged rider such as myself to be able to flat-foot it at lights.
- It sure sounds angry when you grab a handful of throttle.
- There is noticeable vibration at idle, but not enough to blur the mirrors much, and it's not uncomfortable.
- For a small scooter -- and it feels like one -- it's got a lot of power. Certainly enough to run with traffic, and enough to not be a rolling roadblock on the freeway. I'm still breaking it in, so that's the best I can do in describing that for now.
- High-speed handling is stable and much better than I expected from a bike this size.
- It feels a lot more agile than I expected. Still wearing the mold-release off the tires, so I haven't tried grinding the hard parts on the pavement yet.
- It has noticeable "shaft effect" (that is, the swingarm is pushed downwards by engine torque so the back end goes up). I haven't played with the spring preload adjustment to see if this can be dialed out, yet.
- You won't believe how big the underseat compartment is until you've seen it, and maybe not even then. It does get warm under there, though.
- Headlight is ok, but just barely. I think I'm going to end up wiring up the other headlight bucket for hi-low beams instead of hi-only at some point.
- The "Eco mode" light is a great reminder to check to see if you left your turn signals on. I'm not sure what other purpose it serves. Then again, the turn signal indicators on the instrument panel are very visible in their own right.
- An actual temperature gauge would have been a nice touch, but they seem to think a warning light is enough.
- The "mount cellphone here" spot on the access door on the left side of the dashboard is visually blocked by the left handlebar. I'll think of something, but it isn't as simple as I thought.

More to come as I finish breaking it in.
gec343, ducati14, Liamjs and 2 others like this.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...

Last edited by Rusty J; 09-19-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Poster

Garage
why a 200 and not a 400?

After awhile, I'm going to post a discussion on the attributes of the 400. Not a comparison of the other Burgmans, but the reason I chose it over the others.

There is no such thing as a bad Burgman....just which one suits you the best.

Unless you are like LA Liamis and have one of each !!
Rusty J and Liamjs like this.

Last edited by san diego joe; 09-19-2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more information on the 200
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Poster

Never had a 200--but I have had a 250--Honda Reflex--that I loved quite a lot. It could handle highways with great ease and even do a little interstate stuff when need arose. I traded it in on a Burgman 400--if I had had more space I would have kept it along with the Burgman. I traded it for a bigger bike that could take higher speed punishment longer. I have another, lighter bike--a Honda PCX 150--that is such a sweet little baby, so light, so agile that I have more fun on it than on any other bike I've owned. I therefore understand perfectly your yearning for a lighter bike. If the 200 is half the machine my PCX is, you made smart decision.
Rusty J likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Four more quick takes on the 200:
- You actually can fill the gas tank without either having it overflow/spit back or having to rock the bike back and forth to get the last bit of gas in! Gas cap was a bit tricky to replace until I figured it out.
- The bike won't let you reset the tripmeter until you retract the sidestand (the info screen says CHEC and won't let you proceed).
- Last bar on the gas gauge (with fuel pump icon blinking) means you've burned two gallons, and (based on stated capacity, not having run it dry and then refilling it) you have 0.8 gallons left.
- They really want you to know what MPG you're getting. (It's the biggest part of the display).

@Tom Allen : The Reflex/Forza seemed like a good bike when I looked at it, and there are a few riders in my club who are quite enthusiastic about theirs. My main issue with them is the linked brakes -- which is a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

Last edited by Rusty J; 09-19-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Leader of the Innumerate Seven (all four of us!)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego joe View Post
Unless you are like LA Liamis and have one of each !!
Had I the room, id seriously consider getting a 200. Just so I'd have the trio. I too had a helix that I loved.

Rusty, the 200 sounds like an awesome bike. Can't wait to see it in the wild!
Rusty J and gec343 like this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 09-19-2016 at 08:41 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Super Poster

Good points about the 200. We like ours, but dont love it, if that makes sense. My wife is thinking of re-trying to tackle a 2 wheel vehicle (on a Buddy 125) and offered to take the 200 over if she masters a 2 wheeler. I have no idea what I would replace it with if that option arose (parking space plays a big role in that decision) but it wont be another Burgman product, even if parking space was not a issue. Anyways, I have never got comfortable in the wet on the 'lil Burg, but I think the IRC tires are the cause. Also, I have never been able to grind any hard parts on turns-even with my wife on the back! It does have good ground clearance.
Rusty J and gec343 like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Had I the room, id seriously consider getting a 200. Just so I'd have the trio. I too had a helix that I loved.

Rusty, the 200 sounds like an awesome bike. Can't wait to see it in the wild!
It ought to be broken in by the next LASG ride, so you shouldn't have to wait long.

It really is a nifty little machine. ("Little" being relative, of course -- this IS a Burgman.)

If Honda was still making new Helices, I'd have seriously considered one. (The Forza doesn't quite count, even with the optional OEM tall windscreen. And, unlike the B200, it has linked brakes.)

@sc00ter : Great, now I need to see if I can get Heidenaus that fit the B200 (love 'em on my Vespa 150).

Oh, more about the bike: Dropping the rear spring preload to minimum only slightly reduces the "shaft effect" (acceleration raises the back end), but it does help push the headlight pattern out a bit by pointing the front "up" a little.
Liamjs likes this.

Last edited by Rusty J; 09-20-2016 at 01:08 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Poster

I got around 7000 miles out of the rear stock IRC tire, and a friend gave me a free Michelin Power Pure to replace it with. Front IRC shows little wear. For now Im gonna mix brands, and if the Michelin seems better in the wet and doesnt wear out too fast then I will do the front to match. I also looked into wiring both headlights on for low beam but the way the bulbs illuminate (one has a little cover over it) its not possible. Two up the rear suspension got a tad harsh over time but I have yet to mess with the spring settings. Everyone complains about the headlights, I find them acceptable.
Rusty J likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

The windshield is starting to squeak/rattle when the engine is between 2200-4000 RPM. I could just take it back and have the dealer fix it, but if anyone could tell me how to remove the part of the fairing that covers the windshield bolts on a 200, I'd rather do it myself. I think it's just the two screws near the instrument cluster, but wouldn't be surprised to find out I'm mistaken.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Turbo Poster

I do a lot less touring now and almost 100% errands around my small town, so the 400 is a bit of an Ox to move in and out of the garage everytime just for short trips. I've thought about a smaller bike because of this, but financially it's best to keep what I have.
Hussein Adil and Foxyrhei like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.