Why a 200 and not a 400? (first impressions at 100 miles) - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Reaching back a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
I also looked into wiring both headlights on for low beam but the way the bulbs illuminate (one has a little cover over it) its not possible.
Everyone complains about the headlights, I find them acceptable.
They're marginally acceptable, but as-is they're angled too low. Wiring the right side (US market) for hi/low also, probably requires replacing both the bulb holder and bulb with the same parts as used on the left side. Otherwise, the right side would always have high beam on (with low beam), and the left would be selected high/low with the handlebar switch.

The bulb holder for the left side might not fit without modifying either the holder or the place in the back of the headlight bucket where it mounts -- I suspect (without any basis for this suspicion) that there are tabs in slightly different positions on each one to make sure they aren't mixed up.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Poster

It literally takes 5 minutes to pull the whole headlight assembly off the Burgman 200. You could easily experiment and see what works. The low beam stays on all the time, and-if this makes sense-it runs in high beam mode, hence the cover to diffuse the forward portion of the beam. The high beam side that only comes on during high beam being activated is not covered, and has its full beam pattern. Since I run my high beams during the day, and to increase my presence on the road, I may swap the high beam side out for a LED in the future. Someone else here did this conversion and its really "bright". I also think the reason the headlights may seem fine to me is because I have a passenger on the back most of the time, and it raises the beam up a bit from our combined "normal" American weight pushing down on the rear.
Rusty J and gec343 like this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Took a break from the 200 tonight, went out on my 650 after letting it sit for a while. I was trying to rack up the first 600 miles on the 200 and pretty much have, and was waiting to ride the 650 until I got around to bleeding the front brakes which I just did.

First thought: "Holy crap -- LEG ROOM!!!" My usual setup on the 650 is to have the rider backrest all the way back, which when combined with boots having a bit of heel to them, lets me almost lock my knees (I don't) with my feet partway up the angled part of the floorboards. On the 200, I sit with my feet completely on the angled part of the floorboards with my knees bent.

Second thought: "Wow, this is a big bike." No kidding, right? Huge dashboard, plenty of room between the bars for a phone mount (still haven't completely figured how to make that work on the 200, but I'm close to a final design), large upper glove boxes... If you're wearing a full-face helmet and don't look down, there's little to indicate that that you're not on a touring motorcycle except the gas tank isn't there. The 200 feels a lot more like a scooter than a motorcycle of any sort -- and that's a good thing, a lot of the time. Backing the bike out of my steep driveway and maneuvering around the car taking up half of it, is one of those times.

Third thought: My 650 is in really good shape for an 11-year-old bike, but it's still 11 years old and there are a few bits of deferred maintenance that I usually overlook because I'm used to it.

And back to the 200: It's a darn good scooter. It feels like a smaller bike in terms of handling, has a decent amount of get-up-and-go, and has the comfortable seating position (if not quite all the leg room), storage space, and weather protection one expects from a maxi-scooter. At this point the only complaints I have are the headlight pattern, the too-low windshield, and the somewhat raucous exhaust note under hard acceleration. The first two are fixable (and seem to be typical with any bike), and the third is tolerable -- some might even consider it a feature. I've needed the ABS once so far (distracted driver blew a stop sign) and it was quite impressively effective.

More to follow eventually. The thing is, it's pleasantly ordinary, performing competently just as one would expect -- and while I could regale you all with tales of my trips to the grocery store and whatnot, that's not exactly riveting reading.
gec343, ducati14, Liamjs and 1 others like this.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quick note on the 200 (stock windshield): a 3/4 helmet with a small baseball-cap visor (HJC CL-33, I think) is fairly quiet. I get a similar effect when using the full face-shield in the completely raised position.

On the other hand, with the visor down, the windshield is at a height that can produce a lot of noise so a quiet helmet is important.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Another quick note: For lane-splitting or filtering, the B200 is a hot butter-knife.
gec343 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.