Commuting - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Commuting

I've been looking at a bike of some sort for a commute that is 60 miles one way and ran across a Burgman in the parking lot the other day and got fascinated by maxi-scooters and have been doing a lot of reading. My question: The feasibility of using a Burgman or other maxi-scooter for a commute of 60 miles (120 round trip) on a daily basis? The comfort, storage and gas mileage are all appealing, any experience with a commute of this distance out there?

--Richard
RTJudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: 2008 Burgman 650 w/ XXL Clearview Shield
Default Re: Commuting

I have a 650 that I use to commute 42 miles each way here in Florida. It's a great ride, though you may want to get a gel pad for the seat to add to the comfort. Not sure of your geographic location, but I used my 650 in WA State for a couple of years to commute. Up there, I had to get some insulated Gore-Tex to stay warm and dry, but it was fine. Let us know what you decide. Stay safe out there.
Tim
choirguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via AIM to alloo Send a message via Yahoo to alloo

I commuted 55 miles per day, it was good. Just have good gear for all weather condtions. Lots of storage and weather protection on a scooter.

2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive.
alloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

As far as *commuting*, it's hard to beat a Burgman. Storage, weather protection, no shifting, and dependability are things that are ideal for a commuter bike and are all found in the Burgman. Mileage is not a problem with these bikes.
Which version are you looking at? The 650 would ideal for interstate/highway driving.

Hampton Roads Scooter Group

Learn more in the Burgman Knowledge Base

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2011 Honda NT700V, 2008 Burgman 400
Garage

Again, which version are you looking at? I've ridden the 400 on a 60 mile daily commute (roundtrip) for about 59,000 miles so far. It has performed flawlessly. Comfortable. Good weather protection. Plenty of power for freeway commuting.

Two pluses for the 400... First, it has more storage space than any other maxi-scooter in the world. And second, it will get about mid-60s gas mileage.

Since most of my mileage is commuting and I'd be taking a car if I didn't have my Burgman 400, I've kept tabs on the gas saved. So far it has been $7800. That has paid for the bike.

Chris

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

consider the body protection from wind and weater, the uprigt seating for comfort and ease of fatigue, (after you get rid of that P.O.S. stock shield and put on anything else like a pine 2x4 or a givi shield or a wet cat, live or dead ) the light weight as compared to some cruisers the auto transmission the no blistering heat cooking your legs and crotch, no loud noise grating on your nerves on the days when you really would rather not have it. unfreaking believable storage that doesn't require tons of saddle soap and maintenance and a bike that also doesn't require spit polishing and stupid looking skulls heads and an oil leak just to be ordinary among it's peers. you may find a Burgman has a few positive traits. It may not have any inherent "cool points" the rider must provide them
another highly valuable benefit to the Burgman is this forum!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I live in NC, Raleigh area, and commute down to Fayetteville (Fort Bragg) so it's all freeways driving (I-40 & I-95) except <10 miles of street. I would be keeping my car for snow/ice days but would seriously consider riding it even during the winter, especially since I saw an add for heated hand grips and because of the protection from wind. I was looking at the 650.
RTJudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

For two years I commuted 55 miles each way in all kinds of weather. Rain, snow, or ice were the only things that made me take the car.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

Like Chris said, with the gas savings it will eventually pay for it self. Good selling point for the 'other' half...

I think if you got one, you might look forward to going to work now.

Toys:

'06 Silver Burgman 400 - Add-ons so far: Suzuki keychain
'06 Orange Rakatak 150cc (Chinese scooter)
'08 Q-Link Star 50cc
'79 Honda XR 185 (Make an offer on it)

Class 'C' Motorhome
Crestliner 1850 Sportfish
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I hope not to get flamed.

It also depends a lot on the highway speeds on your commute. I have a 650 with the tall Giwi, and maintaining 80 mph requires a second handful of throttle, and stability leaves something to be desired.

My old BMW R100RS and my even older moto Guzzi 850 California where much better stability-wise.

A true cruise control, not a simple throttlelock, would probably help a lot, obviously to keep up speed, but also allowing a more relaxed grip on the handlebars, letting the bike do its own job of going straight.
Hagon rear shocks
SpeedoHealer for speedo healing
SpeedoHealer for healing the CVT/keeping the revs down
ErikDK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.