Help Deciding on 650 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help Deciding on 650

Although I've been stalking this forum for about a month, this is my first post. I've learned soooo much abouth the Burgmans by reading everyone's post and have prbably seen every YouTube video. So thanks. I'm looking at a new 650 listed for over 2k off the MSRP (Ebay). I havn't been on a scooter in almost 30 years when I had a moped so the safetyu course will do me good. After reading many of the posts I'm concerned about problems with the scooter not starting for the several reasons you've stated. I held back on making the purchase soely because of my concerns. Pls know that I am many things but mechaniccally inclined I am not, so instructions on changing this or troubleshooting that likely won't work for me. nor do I have the $$ to take to a shop for every big or little problem. I'm looking for something to gas and go. So, do you think the Burgman is for me given the known issues? Do I need to look at other scooters that claim reliability?

Thanks

Brian
Bnelson93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: 2012 650 EXEC
Default Re: Help Deciding on 650

If it helps, I am on my second 650 Executive with no problems just normal maintenance and no I do not do my own maintenance. First was an '06 and I put 31,000 miles on that as the original owner. The second was an '08 and it came with 2000 miles on it. I was the third owner. It now has more than 15,000 miles on its. I have ridden from Florida to Tenn. and North Carolina and back in weather that had a heat index of 115 and had no problems. I think you would find the Burgmans extremely reliable and I would whole heartedly suggest you get yourself one.
Fulton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. That does help, this forum is great. I'd hate to pass on this and feel like I'm settleing for the SWing, which most people have said is reliable and less costly to manitain, but inferior to the Burgman in all other areas. I'd have to get my nerve up to do 75mph on the highway, until then I'll just be doing local commutes.
Bnelson93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

I have a 09 650 which I really love. It's hard to explain how us Burgman riders feel. The ride is effertless and thrilling. That is where the Burgman grinn comes from. Most owners are either middle aged or Senior citizens I think. As far as doing your own work it depends on you. Ask around your area and find a good motorcycle mechanic you can trust. I stay away from the dealers and use the scoot as you would a car.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with a Burgman.
Hyper stoplight to replace reflector under the license plate
Oznium LED's
Utopia backrest
Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS with Ram mount
Cramp Buster
X-Large Clearview windscreen
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

I'll take another approach. While I loved riding my 2005 Burgman 650, it had transmission problems that weren't easily repaired. I had bought the Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP) plan during the original warranty and was glad to have it when the problem occurred.

Mine leaked engine oil into the intermediate transmission, requiring a complete tear down of the engine/transmission. The special tools were NOT available at that time in the U.S. leaving me with few choices. I could periodically drain the intermediate transmission and top off the motor oil, while waiting for the tools to arrive from Japan. I decided to trade it in and walk away taking a financial bath in the process. I chose that path and never looked back.

If buying a new 650, I'd recommend buying the SEP during the original warranty period. Check on line for the best price -- I'd suggest Oneida Suzuki as one possible source. They had the best prices when I chose, several years ago. <www.oneidasuzuki.com> if I remember correctly.

A couple of local owners have had transmission problems, one had SEP and it paid the $2800 bill, while the second one footed it himself and immediately put it up for sale.

Just my experiences.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and going for a long ride tomorrow!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Would it be possible for you to go to your local dealer n try a 650??? A SW??? Each will sit you differently. Take ea for a spin?? I have a 650. I say I wouldn't trade it for anything....except maybe a 900 (fat chance!! ) It has the room n comfort I require.
Good Luck

Nothing is as powerful as the moment a person learns something on his own.
blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: 2008 Burgman 650 w/ XXL Clearview Shield

I've had an '08 650 for over two years. I am the second owner. It has sat for months of non-use in both hot and cold weather and started up perfectly everytime. I do most of the simple maintenance myself and I am not especially mechanical. It is easy to change all the fluids yourself. I won't change tires or things like that. The bike is extremely reliable. Like all the others, I am a staunch Burgman owner and I wouldn't own anything else, except maybe another Burgman.
Tim
choirguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

In april of 2011 I purchased a new 650 and my wife got a new SW. Hands down the 650 is a superior machine no comparison. Now, I am 65 295lb 5-5 tall so the 650 does me well. The 650 is a reliable machine, not perfect none of them are! So... A good Scooter, a good dealer, a good maintenance program, and an extended warranty = as good as it gets. Set back and enjoy the ride, SMILE! By the way my wife coulden't handle the SW os she got a Spyder and loves it. They call us the odd couple.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2009 Burgman 650

Me ahve 2004 650 burgie standard with lot good good mile, trade for 2009 Exec with winter pak, have 32,000+ now on 2009, when new Burgie 750 come in 2014 me trade for that machine then.

"If you ride like lightning, you gonna crash like thunder"
Chérie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2009 650 Exe & 93 ST1100 & 2006 KLR 650

2 Burgman 650s and 45,000 trouble free ( not one single issue ) later in three years plus 20k on a Swing I can speak with some experience.

THe Swing is a decent scoot but does not compare to the Burgman 650 which is simply a stronger better bike all around.

The Swing also has expensive required maintenance in the 20k miles which the 650 does not.

Bigger brakes, bigger motor , better transmission, much more stable on the highway ( the Swing tracks ruts ) - I think the Burgman 650 is a 100,000 km bike if well maintained - I think trying to do that on a Swing would be costly from a ongoing maintenance standpoint.

Swing is discontinued - Burgman 650 is successful and even emulated by the new BMW 650s.....no contest.

This written by a member here and I have to agree - 43 years of riding many bikes - the Burgman 650 is the best all around ride I've owned.

Quote:
The Burgman 650 is a cross between a scooter, Goldwing and bullet bike. It's fast, comfortable and very manuverable. Braking is outstanding. Storage is terrific. I've owned many, many bikes of all brands and models, but the Burgman 650 is the best two wheeled vehicle I've ever owned. I bought my wife and 2002 for an anniversary present. At the time, I was riding a J1500 kawasaki Indian look alike, which I have since given my oldest son. I loved that bike, but must say that I love the Burgman even more. Now, my wife and I ride together, hassel free, with greater ease than any bikes we've had in the past. The seating and storage can't be beat. You can ride all day without paralyzing your crotch or hands. Gas milage, on the highway, is about 50 mpg, with 47 in the city. Manuverablity, in the city or on the highway is terrific. Acceleration, especially if you hit the power button, is excellent. You can easily put a muscle car down off the line and even do well against cruzers and smaller bullet bikes
this review sold me on the idea of a maxi.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04 ... i-burgman/

They got most things right.

The biggest surprised was the twisties - coming from an RD 400 I simply did not expect the kind of handling and outright fun the 650 Burgman displays in the twists.
Grin.....you bet....they call it 80% sport bike and they are correct.
Yet it's a two wheeled soccer mom van around town and and very decent one up touring machine.
I had 1000 km days going up to James Bay.

64 and having the best time EVER on a bike. You are very unlikely to regret the buy.

That said - looking on the cheap end might not serve you so well. The earlier models had some teething pains.
One reason I was very happy to get into the 2009 exec which I think is a very mature design of an outstanding concept.
MacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.