Help! Need to make a decision 2006 650 vs 2007 650 Exec. - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Help! Need to make a decision 2006 650 vs 2007 650 Exec.

A nice decision to have to make, but I am in a spot where I have to make it by tomorrow. I have the first option on a 2006 650 for $6200. or a new 2007 Exec. for my bike (AN400 w/8000 mi.) and $6400. I also have a buyer for my bike at $3700. The diff. in $ is not a huge deal, but I would go for the savings except I am not particularly experienced on a bike and I think the ABS would make up the diff. if it saved me one time. I think thats the big diff. So, how good and how important do any of you think the ABS is? I would particularly like to hear from anyone that has had an experience with the ABS. Will be monitoring this today and tomorrow morning.

Don't take life to seriously, You'll never get out alive.
07 Burgman 650 Exec. Red (pres.)
03 Burgman 400 Blue (past)
87 Helix 250 White (past)
***My wife STARR pulled this site up so am listed as Starr...But I am the Rider and Writer....Grins! SCOTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Wes
Missed but Remembered

If you are decided on a 650 and can afford the difference, get the ABS. You might never need it but, just the knowledge that it's there will let you brake harder without worrying. If the Exec had been available when I bought my 650, I wouldn't have hesitated at spending the the extra grand.

Wes Jackson
Nanaimo BC
Canada

Silver '04 650 - My Evil Twin (written off)
HOG Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Insane Poster

If I understand correctly, you're saying you could buy a regular 650 for $6200, and sell your 400 for $3700 (net of $2500 out-of-pocket), or you could trade in the 400 and get a 650 Exec. for $6400 out of pocket.

I'd take the 650 non-Executive and sell the 400. That's a good chunk of change. If it were a new Exec. for a $1000 more than a new Standard, I'd probably go Exec.

***edit: Wes beat me to it, even though we got identical time stamps

Dean
2005 Burgman 650|silver|50mpg|25k miles
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI|silver|42mpg|56k miles
2000 VW Golf TDI (diesel)|45mpg|sold at 284k miles

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Ryder
Buy choice

Dean hit it right. The 4 grand savings, You could ride 2 yrs Or more
at vertualy on cost. When Vehicle shoping I check the back row first
Good luck teach, Rich74
By the way [Dean] Look me up if you get to GR, Im in the phon bk
retired Die Maker, Blk 650
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality
If I understand correctly, you're saying you could buy a regular 650 for $6200, and sell your 400 for $3700 (net of $2500 out-of-pocket), or you could trade in the 400 and get a 650 Exec. for $6400 out of pocket.

I'd take the 650 non-Executive and sell the 400. That's a good chunk of change. If it were a new Exec. for a $1000 more than a new Standard, I'd probably go Exec.

***edit: Wes beat me to it, even though we got identical time stamps
Frugality, I think I see why you have that "handle" I know it's a big swing in $ but then the stock market has been awfully strong since Feb., and it will take care of the diff. But, because I am so frugle and am unfamilure with the ABS I wanted to make sure that it was really a great safety devise. I think that the fact that you can panic stop and still not slide all over the place sounds pretty good. I know nothings perfect, but it would be nice to have for those emergencies. Like I said, I am a weekend rider without a lot of experience and hope that it would give me an edge........................................thank you for the opinion........Grins!

***My wife STARR pulled this site up so am listed as Starr...But I am the Rider and Writer....Grins! SCOTT
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
If you are decided on a 650 and can afford the difference, get the ABS. You might never need it but, just the knowledge that it's there will let you brake harder without worrying. If the Exec had been available when I bought my 650, I wouldn't have hesitated at spending the the extra grand.
Wes,
Have seen your posts on here a number of times. Thanks for the response and I am leaning that way.....................................Scott

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Insane Poster

Ditto, ABS is a no-brainer and if I had the option I would also choose the ABS machine. Not because I have any lack of confidence in my braking ability, I don't ( ). Not because I lack experience ( ) or even because I want the advantage against other cagers. It's simply because that one time cost can be accrued in a single moment, when you come round a corner and there's an urgent need to stop suddenly, and there's a change in the road surface from dry to weight, from clean to dirty. I'm good, but not that good. In the meantime, ABS also means I could practise my braking much closer to the limits in absolute confidence.

The Exec also has the electric gubbins like screen and mirrors. Think about the resale market. The Standard will depreciate faster than the Exec and the demand from a buyer will probably be for the Exec becasue of the ABS, so you recover that cost when you sell the machine, and in the meantime if it saves your plastic once, you're quids in...

Simon Evans
AN650 K3 `Gonzo`
AN400 Burgervan, 30,000 miles and still going... nowhere.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Insane Poster

Scott:

It appears to me the difference in money between the two deals isn't a factor for you, so I'd strongly recommend the Exec over the standard.

ABS is something I first experienced on my first BMW, and all I can say is that having that feature onboard is the main reason I am here now, writing this to you.

You will see some naysayers here and on other forums when it comes to ABS, and certainly, they are entitled to their opinions, as we are

The old adage about ABS goes on, and I'll say it one more time too.

"All you have to do is use it once, just once, to get yourself out of a tight spot and it will pay for itself right there".

Let us know what you wind up doing!

pr

PS- the other features of the Exec over the standard, the electrically retractable mirrors, the electric windscreen and the passenger backrest, along with the chromed muffler cover are also worth the extra $$$, including the ABS. Plus, the mirrors themselves are some of the best on any bike I have ever owned. Once you get them set, they'll stay that way..forever. Good luck to you....Either way, you are getting, in the 650, the finest step through motorcycle on the planet...the Exec just has some nicer features than the standard, IMHO.

PPS: One more thing...I have never seen an Exec owner second guessing themselves and wishing they had bought the standard instead.

pr/aka Pat(rick)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Executive, one of the faster silver ones!
I cannot in good conscience call this a scooter.
It's a motorcycle.
And a keeper too!
AllTheGearAllTheTime!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 AM

I just recently had to make the choice between a "standard" and "exec". Chose the exec because of the ABS... did not think the other extras would matter. Wrong!! I found that I use the foldaway mirrors every day I ride. Makes it easier to park in the garage and able to take up less room. Also have had numerous comments about the color. My vote is for the "exec"!!

"The best predictor of the future, is the past, and those who do not learn from the past, and those who deny the past, are condemned to repeat it."
"Don't Worry, Be Happy, On a 2007 650 Executive!"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Turbo Poster

I can explain the theory of why a rolling tire has more thaction than a skidding tire, but I've found that the computer has already analyzed the situation and responded to the locked wheel before I even know it is locked.

I find myself taking a second to realize the ABS has kicked in and then wondering why it kicked in.

I then have to laugh. The ABS did is job and I'm still around TO wonder why it did what it did.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.