Lane Splitting - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Lane Splitting

Hello, All, I ride in Los Angeles. I currently ride a Suzuki motorcycle and I love lane splitting, which is the main reason I ride- my commute time is sometimes cut in half as compared to when I am forced to drive the car. I've lane split for years and have had only a couple of instances where a mirror will tap a car's mirror. I'm not so sure what kind of "tap" the large mirrors on a Burgman will do...
I sat on a 650 at a nearby dealer and had to wonder: If I'm in tight traffic and have to stop, will the footboards get in the way? I'm 6'4" so it's not a question of not reaching. I'm just wondering about the space availability. Any thoughts?

William Francke
'91 Suzuki VX 800
Protect Freedom of Speech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Administrator

The mirrors on the 400 are conventional mc mirrors and wil react the same as any other mc. The mirrors on the 650 are designed to fold back for storage. A light tap may or may not damage them. IMHO if you're tapping cages, you're cutting it too close.

The Burgmans have small cutouts to allow you to comfortably put down your feet. Combined with the space of the mirrors, there should be adaquate space to put your feet down. Again, if you are getting to where you are worried about having space to put your feet down, you're cutting it too close. I'd much rather 'waste time' / be late than risk damage to me or my machine. Sure I can fix/replace the Burgman ... sorta hard to replace my body.

Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
'08 Burgman 400 in red - FOR SALE
'13 Honda PCX 150 in red
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Insane Poster

In Washington, lane splitting is unlawful. You can be cited for improper lane travel.

We get to ride solo in the HOV lanes, but that's they only way we shorten our commute.

I agree with billmeek, though, that if you've "tapped" a car more than once you need to examine your riding style/judgement.

If you insist on continuing then I'd suggest folding in your mirrors before passing between cars. Since you'll be going faster than the stuck cars you won't need them anyway. The Executive model available in Europe and Japan has push-button electric folding that is used for just that purpose.

—Brian— Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Silver AN650K3 since June 9, 2004.

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Aye. The tapping has only happened a couple of times and it was in a wide split at a traffic light. I overcompensated or was maybe looking at something rather than where I should have been.

I rarely split in moving traffic. Too scary. If it's moving, I don't need to split. I recently got behind a gaggle of lane splitting highway motorcycle cops on the 405 Freeway (the worlds second largest parking lot) and I was still scared, even though they were letting the drivers know that we bikers were out there.

I guess my request for info on the foot space/floorboard comes from my fear of having my feet any further away from the relative safety of the bike at a stop. I will always stop at a light in between lanes. Much safer there as it's impossible for someone on their cell phone, drinking their latte, to come smashing into my butt. If it's ever happened to you while sitting in your car (it happened to me), you can imagine what it will feel like while on a bike.

William Francke
'91 Suzuki VX 800
Protect Freedom of Speech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Administrator

William,

The cutouts provide plenty of space for me. Where I naturally put my feet down, my legs are not touching the bike. I'm 6 feet even and that might vary a bit based on your height.

Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
'08 Burgman 400 in red - FOR SALE
'13 Honda PCX 150 in red
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Willyum4u,

I lane split most of the way to and from work on freeway (speed limit 100kph), @ 20-70kph (moving car park) only when the two cars are next to each other so they can't change lanes on me ...

I't is legal if you indicate a lane change and change the lane by the time you come out the other side of the cars ...

When I had my 650 if the traffic was thick and tight I folded one mirror in giving you extra room to move ... both if really tight ...

Maybe electric mirror are for you ...

Greg ...

Suzuki TS185 road trail (sold) ; Suzuki GT250 custom with 350 barrels (sold) ; Suzuki GS1000e 1980 (sold) ; Honda VT750 cruiser (traded ->)
Honda Hornet 900 (sold) ; Yamaha XS850 triple (sold) ; Yamaha XT500 (sold) ; Burgman 650 2003 (stolen) ; Burgman 250 2003 (traded ->)
Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold) ; Vespa GTS300 (traded ->) ; Yamaha Tmax 500 (sold) ; Suzuki V-Strom 650 (sold) ; Present Burgman 650 2014
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Insane Poster

Don' t know a thing about lane splitting other then what I have read on a couple of forums.
But it sounds like your saying a couple of inches (folding in the mirrors) is all your leaving between you and a hospital ?
why not leave 5 min. earlier.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Quote:
But it sounds like your saying a couple of inches (folding in the mirrors) is all your leaving between you and a hospital ?
No it is just between mirrors, not your bike or body ...

You still have 300-500mm between you and the car, folding mirror is to clear car mirror not car itself ...

The mirrors on 650 are the same height as most cars, so the need to fold them is for that ...

My 250 like your 400 are higher like normal motorcycles and go over car mirror height ...

Greg ...

P.S. - You either lane split or not it's personal choice ...
Hope this topic doesn't get out of control ...

Suzuki TS185 road trail (sold) ; Suzuki GT250 custom with 350 barrels (sold) ; Suzuki GS1000e 1980 (sold) ; Honda VT750 cruiser (traded ->)
Honda Hornet 900 (sold) ; Yamaha XS850 triple (sold) ; Yamaha XT500 (sold) ; Burgman 650 2003 (stolen) ; Burgman 250 2003 (traded ->)
Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold) ; Vespa GTS300 (traded ->) ; Yamaha Tmax 500 (sold) ; Suzuki V-Strom 650 (sold) ; Present Burgman 650 2014
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
...P.S. - You either lane split or not it's personal choice ...
It's a personal choice if it's legal in your jurisdiction.

It's a violation of the law if it's not.

I don't want this to get out of control either, but that's an important distinction when someone posts a message saying "It's legal if you signal..." or something similar, without adding "...where I live."

—Brian— Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Silver AN650K3 since June 9, 2004.

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
I live here ...

<<<<<<----------------------------------------
<<<<<<----------------------------------------

Quote:
don't want this to get out of control either, but that's an important distinction when someone posts a message saying "It's legal if you signal..." or something similar, without adding "...where I live."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.