trailering - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sirkitrider-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

trailering

For any Burgman 400 trike owners: can you offer any insight into pulling a small (empty wt 200lb) aluminum trailer? Hoping to have a modified hitch receiver mounted onto the center rear trike frame. I do know that the manual declares that these bikes are not designed for towing-but does that mean they can't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgmanBikerBabe View Post
For any Burgman 400 trike owners: can you offer any insight into pulling a small (empty wt 200lb) aluminum trailer? Hoping to have a modified hitch receiver mounted onto the center rear trike frame. I do know that the manual declares that these bikes are not designed for towing-but does that mean they can't?
It depends on how much weight your going to put in the trailer. I would think the 400 can pull at least as much weight as a passengers weight, but you have that much weight with the trailer alone. It does not leave much capacity for the load.
It might work out if you carry something really light, like a half ton of feathers! Lol

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Super Poster

Just MHO, but I don't see why folks want to pull a trailer behind a motorcycle.

It seems to me that it is a potential "tail wagging the dog" scenario with possibly disastrous consequences. I know, its done every day ... and the trike setup would seem to be safer than trailering with two wheels.

Besides if you can't get enough stuff under the seat, in a top case, and an additional bag strapped to the passenger seat, and a tunnel bag ... maybe a convertible is the better choice ... or trailering the bike with a car/truck and riding it while at the location.

No criticism of the OP intended, I just have safety concerns with the whole trailering issue.

Sirkitrider
gec343 likes this.

John 3:16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Insane Poster

I agree with you. Barring a few special use cases (such as a multi-day 2-up camping trip, dog, work, etc.), pulling the trailer probably means you are taking more stuff than you really need.

As a solo rider having made substantial road trips involving camping, I never felt the need for a trailer. In fact, after my last 10-day trip, I vowed to take even LESS stuff next time. My goal is to eliminate the need for saddlebags (;

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:08 PM

BurgmanBikerBabe

I've owned six m/c trailers and believe me, they came in handy. One followed me for 13,000 miles on a USA4Corners trip. It was a 500 lb. popup camper (Aspen Classic). Empty it weighs around 325 lbs. I've owned two other campers and have built three kit trailers from Harbor Freight, which weigh 175 lbs empty and are quite easy to put together. There is also a nice aluminum trailer sold here: https://theusatrailerstore.com/

Much information is available on my Delphi trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

There are many trailer draggers on www.motorcampers.com

You can see my trailers on my www.picturetrail.com/bvail

I have seen several Burgmans towing trailers over the years. A couple of elderly gents brought their Burgmans and clamshell campers to an IBMC national camp in at Helper, UT. I have photos of them on my photo site.

I presently own a 2006 GL1800 and an Aspen Classic tent trailer, which I am thinking of selling both. I've been riding bikes since 1965 and pulling trailers since around 1998. If I do, I would consider a Burgman Exec 650 and building yet another Harbor Freight trailer.

Hope this helps a bit and I wouldn't pay much attention to the negative Nellies. What's next? Don't go to the Darkside or you will crash and die a fiery death?

Couple of points. Yes, one can load up the bikes with all kinds of paraphernalia such as a tent, sleeping bag, stove, cooler, lighting, whatever it takes and not only will that upset the balance/geometry of the bike but will increase the chance of a crash like the one I had up in the Yukon. Never would have happened if I was pulling a trailer.

Oh, and dogs were mentioned by one poster. Really? I never would subject a pooch to that. Ever.

Bob Vail
Riding Since 1965
Thornton CO

2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1k
2006 Aspen Classic Camper
2006 Honda GL1800
(No Scooter, But Interested)

Last edited by bvail; 04-23-2017 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Insane Poster

I wouldn't trailer a dog either, but some people would. I was just pointing that out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.