Burgman 650, Fuel Gauge issue (maybe???) and other quirks. - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Burgman 650, Fuel Gauge issue (maybe???) and other quirks.

OK, so I have had my Burgman for about 3 weeks now. It's used 39,000 miles ish. Well maintained though. Love it so far except for two issues (not major ones mind you.)

1. Fuel Gauge problem (maybe???). I keep putting gas in her but the fuel gauge never moves beyond the 1 notch and the gas light beside that blinks at me. This was even after putting about 5 dollars in gas in it (at the time gas was about $2.19/Gallon) that said it was empty (sputtering and lurching) I got $4.45 in it and it splashed gas out on my boots. That can't be right since it had like a 5 gallon tank on it. So this brings my question.. Is the fuel filler port directly into the tank or is there like a fuel line the gas could be getting backed up in and I'm pouring too fast, OR is it simply that the gas station by my house has a slanted parking lot and I have the bike on the side stand and it's just overflowing because of that. Or should I be concerned that the fuel gauge is damaged?

Second thing.
It feels like when I get to about 55-70 mph (depends on the day it seems) that it's struggling to grab the next gear up. What do I need to do about this?

Actually 3 things.

How the bloody **** do I check my oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Turbo Poster

1. i always fill gas with bike on center stand. easier to get to gas fill port that way. Also, helps prevent spill over. Bike has 4 gallon tank. Yeah, your fuel gauge is messed up if it only shows 1 bar. If 2 gallons goes from empty to full, then something is very wrong. I always fill up slow and do not rely on the gas-stop on the pump to stop my filling. I go by fuel level in the fill tube. And yeah, I bet you can fill it too fast.

2. No gears on bike. And you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind.

3. I look at the sight glass on the middle of bike, undernearth the lower leg side panel. I put bike on center stand, then look at bottom of bike, just above where side stand is. Oil should be seen in the sight glass. Best position is about 3/4 full.
Dave_J likes this.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Insane Poster

Captain, I take issue with your Answer #2. "No gears on bike. And you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind." - There certainly are "gears" on the bike, in manual mode, six of them.

"you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind." - That is insane, you should be finding it easy to get to 70mph, 85mph & 95mph with absolutely No Struggle, regardless of any incline or wind. Even my 400 can easily get to 75 & 85 mph, and only a small struggle to get to 95mph.

DwarvenBastard - IDK the service history of your 650, but it sounds like you need to do the usual "tune up stuff" to your bike, New Spark Plugs (I recommend going with the Iridium Spark Plugs, NGK CR8EIX), New Air Cleaner Element (make sure all the air intake pathway is clear), Top up oil level or change Engine Oil and Filter & change Transmission oil & Final Drive Oil, when due, air up tires, etc.

Cheers!
captainfish likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 04-18-2017 at 12:19 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post
1. i always fill gas with bike on center stand. easier to get to gas fill port that way. Also, helps prevent spill over. Bike has 4 gallon tank. Yeah, your fuel gauge is messed up if it only shows 1 bar. If 2 gallons goes from empty to full, then something is very wrong. I always fill up slow and do not rely on the gas-stop on the pump to stop my filling. I go by fuel level in the fill tube. And yeah, I bet you can fill it too fast.

2. No gears on bike. And you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind.

3. I look at the sight glass on the middle of bike, undernearth the lower leg side panel. I put bike on center stand, then look at bottom of bike, just above where side stand is. Oil should be seen in the sight glass. Best position is about 3/4 full.
Well actually the gauge never reads above 1 bar hence my curiosity of maybe im not even filling it all the way. Yeah, I thought about it being a CVT as I posted that but ya know it's got that auto manual thing going on. The bike itself does not struggle at speed but it feels like the transmission hesitates. Thank you so much I honestly didn't know about the oil view port.
captainfish likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I think my next move should be to find a gas station near me with a flat parking lot. Put it on the stand (a little nervous about that because of the weight) and try to fill it up. It seems the air pressure from gas pumps just fill it too fast for it to handle. Haha.
captainfish likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I heard somewhere (YouTube motovlogger I think) say the transmission hesitation feeling was common in burgman 650s. I wanted to verify that too.
hotdogdavis2 likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Captain, I take issue with your Answer #2. "No gears on bike. And you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind." - There certainly are "gears" on the bike, in manual mode, six of them.

"you should be really finding it easy to get to 70mph. 85mph might be a little struggle. 95mph with a flat road and good wind." - That is insane, you should be finding it easy to get to 70mph, 85mph & 95mph with absolutely No Struggle, regardless of any incline or wind. Even my 400 can easily get to 75 & 85 mph, and only a small struggle to get to 95mph.

DwarvenBastard - IDK the service history of your 650, but it sounds like you need to do the usual "tune up stuff" to your bike, New Spark Plugs (I recommend going with the Iridium Spark Plugs, NGK CR8EIX), New Air Cleaner Element (make sure all the air intake pathway is clear), Top up oil level or change Engine Oil and Filter & change Transmission oil & Final Drive Oil, when due, air up tires, etc.

Cheers!
Thanks friend. Il definitely take that in mind. It's been well maintained luckily (guy had a record for EVERYTHING ever done to it) but ya know it may just be one of those things.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 AM
Turbo Poster

Yeah, E.D.... thanks for reminder. As an avid "auto" user, I tend to forget the manual mode for the CVT. heh

DwarvenBastard... don't worry about the center stand. use your weight for you. WHen you pull up to gas pump, put side stand down. Lean bike over to stand and get off bike. Then, with left hand on left-hand handlebar grip, and right hand on the passenger grip bar, push bike up to verticle. Then put your right foot on the center stand foot peg. push down on it till you feel it touch the ground\pavement\concrete. then rock the bike back and forth a tad to get the feel of the bike hitting both "feet" of the center stand (your right foot is still on the center stand foot peg keeping the stand against the ground. Once you feel that both of the "feet" are touching the ground, just stand up on the foot peg. Then at the same time, pull back on the handlebar a bit, and then lead back just a bit. not much cause you don't want to turn your handlebar. Just enough to let the bike know it should be moving back and up.

But let your weight do most of the work. And if it doesn't work at first.. just keep trying. it isn't going anywhere.

oh.. and don't have your parking brake on. your rear tire needs to spin a little bit as the bike moves backward on to the center stand. However, once you get used to the procedure, that won't make a difference to ya.
Dave_J likes this.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post
Yeah, E.D.... thanks for reminder. As an avid "auto" user, I tend to forget the manual mode for the CVT. heh

DwarvenBastard... don't worry about the center stand. use your weight for you. WHen you pull up to gas pump, put side stand down. Lean bike over to stand and get off bike. Then, with left hand on left-hand handlebar grip, and right hand on the passenger grip bar, push bike up to verticle. Then put your right foot on the center stand foot peg. push down on it till you feel it touch the ground\pavement\concrete. then rock the bike back and forth a tad to get the feel of the bike hitting both "feet" of the center stand (your right foot is still on the center stand foot peg keeping the stand against the ground. Once you feel that both of the "feet" are touching the ground, just stand up on the foot peg. Then at the same time, pull back on the handlebar a bit, and then lead back just a bit. not much cause you don't want to turn your handlebar. Just enough to let the bike know it should be moving back and up.

But let your weight do most of the work. And if it doesn't work at first.. just keep trying. it isn't going anywhere.

oh.. and don't have your parking brake on. your rear tire needs to spin a little bit as the bike moves backward on to the center stand. However, once you get used to the procedure, that won't make a difference to ya.
Thanks bud.yeah I am an avid auto user myself haha. Thanks for the advice. I was used to doing the center stand in my Zuma but it weight 200 lbs not 600 haha. And they day I got it it almost tipped over haha.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenBastard View Post
Well actually the gauge never reads above 1 bar hence my curiosity of maybe im not even filling it all the way. Yeah, I thought about it being a CVT as I posted that but ya know it's got that auto manual thing going on. The bike itself does not struggle at speed but it feels like the transmission hesitates. Thank you so much I honestly didn't know about the oil view port.
I always fill my gas tank with the bike on the side stand. I never had any need to put it on the centerstand. It fills just fine on the sidestand. I don't have to fill it too slow either, just slow it down right at the end so that it doesn't spill over. The most gas that I put in it at one time was 3.9 gallons. It was almost out.

I drive in MANUAL more than I drive in DRIVE. Much more performance that way, I can wind out the gears as far as I want that way. I bought a 650 for the performance. I love leaving those hot rodders behind! They always have such a SURPRIZED look on there faces at the next stop light. They holler over at me, "Is that thing a SCOOTER?"They can't believe that they have been left behind by a scooter! I wind those gears out tight and she flies down the road!
Cheers!
captainfish likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.