Dead System On first Start Try - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Location: Western New York (Southern tier, Lake Erie Shores )
Dead System On first Start Try

I 'm not sure if i'm in the right section to ask this question, But here I go, I decided to Start My Scoot today due to the unusual warm weather . First I turned the key on and Lights came on and Just as fast everything went dead,lights and all. The side stand was up ,Kill switch was off. It acted as if a Fuse blew , so I checked the fuses all seem to be fine, Including the Main 30 amp fuse. I guess my Question is could the ( Regulator Rectifier have Fried ) I know there were recalls on them and several years ago I had it replaced , well since then I received a second Recall for the same thing, and have never had it done again. By the way the Battery is fully charged. Has any one had this problem ,or is my age causing me to forget something. Any answers will sure be appreciated . THanks In advance Y- Block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Super Poster

The rectifier shouldn't interfere with power coming from battery, only electricity going to the battery. Check your leads coming from the battery and make sure they are clean (especially the negative side) and tight. A little di-electric grease on the terminals I find beneficial. If you have a multimeter you can start tracing out the positive side and see if you have power at the points you have already checked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm beginning to think even though the battery shows over 12 volts ,There may be a problem with the battery , Its over 2 yrs old ,I have had a battery Tender on it most of the winter ,when i first turned the key on Lights were bright , the minute i hit the starter all died, I reconnected the Battery Tender and the Red light was flashing , which is an indicator that there may be a problem with the battery ,Possibly a Short in the Battery , Tomorrow i will start over again , Thanks for your Help ,and wish me luck. Skunkhome

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y---block View Post
I'm beginning to think even though the battery shows over 12 volts ,There may be a problem with the battery , Its over 2 yrs old ,I have had a battery Tender on it most of the winter ,when i first turned the key on Lights were bright , the minute i hit the starter all died, I reconnected the Battery Tender and the Red light was flashing , which is an indicator that there may be a problem with the battery ,Possibly a Short in the Battery , Tomorrow i will start over again , Thanks for your Help ,and wish me luck. Skunkhome
Think you are on to something. The symptoms sound like a bad connection but I'd trust the battery charger at this point.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 02-25-2017 at 12:46 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Insane Poster

be sure to disconnect the battery from the bike, while charging or checling this time, flashing red light on charger could be caused by bike too, hoping not !

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Poster

Have you check the connection on the terminals these can come loose and as soon as you press the starter it pops the connection so complete loss of power.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Howdy and yes I am new and old at the same time. Long story but will save that for another time.

Anyway, along the lines that have already been mentioned and assuming the charging went ok, check the voltage at the battery with ignition and lights on, and then while pushing the starter button.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Well I bought a new battery and sure enough it was the battery even though it showed 12 volts , must be the Amperage was gone , because as soon as i installed the new Battery all was ok , I made out well especially since the old Battery was 3yr 9 Mo . old Now i'm already for this snow and 20 deg weather to change , Happy & Safe riding to you all , and thanks for the comments ,and help .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y---block View Post
Well I bought a new battery and sure enough it was the battery even though it showed 12 volts , must be the Amperage was gone , because as soon as i installed the new Battery all was ok , I made out well especially since the old Battery was 3yr 9 Mo . old Now i'm already for this snow and 20 deg weather to change , Happy & Safe riding to you all , and thanks for the comments ,and help .
👍 Great when a plan comes together.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 AM
Insane Poster

Good going y---block! You done good. Keep your voltmeter handy, they are your friend when the electrical gremlins come out. I keep one of those Harbor Freight voltage testers with the colored lights under the seat. They are very handy, just like my bottle of Ride-On under the seat!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.