Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New Jersey to VirginiaTrip

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  westnash 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about this for awhile and finally decided to do it. I plan on starting 10/3/14 and returning 10/11/14. It is 1141 miles each way by a direct route. I figure I'll allow for 3 days up & 3 days back (about 6 hours riding time per day). That will give me 3 days to explore Arkansas following the day of arrival. It also gives me an extra (buffer) day in the event I get delayed. On my NJ to West Coast trip, I became interested in doing the Arkansas trip after reviewing a pamphlet they put out describing a lot of scenic routes for motorcycle rides.

So if anybody has any suggestions about places to visit, sites to see, let me know.

I will choose a separate route to & from Arkansas to further vary the scenery.

#2 ·
Rather than taking the major roads between Philly and DC, you should pick up US301 in Delaware and take it southbound to US50 where you turn west and encounter the DC beltway at about the 3 o'clock position. The Bay Bridge is actually free when you are heading westbound towards DC; I believe it's four bucks heading away from DC.

Nice wide-open 4-lane divided highway with very little traffic - as opposed to narrow and crazy 6-lane divided highway which is positively choked with traffic on the mainland side.

#3 ·
Arnie, hope you meet up with some good people on this trip. I had fun while you were up here.

#4 ·
In Arkansas, don't miss Eureka Springs, in the NW corner.
There has been a scooter rally there every year in
August or Sept. for over 20 years.
Very cycle/scooter friendly. South of there, Hiway 23 &
the Pig Trail...also Hiway 7.....& in Jasper, the Ozark Cafe.
A bit to the SW of Eureka Springs is the War Eagle Mill....
a working grist mill with a water-driven water-wheel.
Restaurant on the 3rd floor serves breakfast & lunch.
Just west of Eureka Springs, on Hiway 62,
is Thorncrown Chapel...an architectual wonder.
Actually, way too much to see & do in 3 or 4 days.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Dave,

Long time, no see .

While cleaning out a magazine rack I found my 2010 Arkansas motorcycle riding guide and the Arkansas state map I picked up during the west coast trip.

Just looking at the logistics of this trip considering the available time I'm thinking about crossing the northern part of the state, traveling south along route 7 to the Southern part of the state, then east followed by north going up scenic routes on the eastern side of the state.

#9 ·
Thanks!

The directions on those scenic byways have so many road changes I think I'd need a navigator to negotiate them. I was going to copy and paste an example here, but the road change list was so long I didn't think it would fit well here.

But it does give me more ideas and will help me prioritize the choices.

#10 ·
Hey Dave,

I still have the same tires on the bike that I used for the West Coast trip. I have not been riding as much as I used to. Had some issues with cataracts; resolved now. The new front tire I had mailed to your house and you mailed back to me is still waiting to be mounted. By the time I get around to it, the rubber may have deteriorated on it. The front tire just doesn't seem to wear out.

#11 ·
I was turning my house upside down looking for my Bluetooth mp3 player. Then I remembered (duh ...) that my iPhone has that built in. Using that as my mp3 player instead, I've got my telephone & music player functioning with one Bluetooth connection.

Then, I realized that although I use my Prius' Bluetooth function for cell phone calls I never got the music player functionality working with the iPhone. I did a quick Google search and found out how to do that, now its working in the car too.

#12 ·
Day 1
Day miles = 169
Trip miles = 169
States: New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

The weather changed and I hit some drizzly weather promising to progressively worsen with westward movement so I stopped in Fairfax, VA. Stayed at a hotel near "Fair Oaks Mall". This is the first time I saw an Apple store. Very impressive. Checked out the new iphones.

The weather is going to get a lot colder soon (in the 40's in the AM).

Considering the slow start and reviewing the logistics of the planned trip, I'm considering changing the plan / destination and start meandering around Virginia (possibly into North & South Carolina, depending on where the road takes me). That way I can trade 4 days of Interstate riding for 4 days of scenic routes / touring, doubling the actual time spent doing what I came to do.

Going to sleep on it ...

#13 ·
I just got back from and 8 day trip riding southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. Road many nice roads but the most fun one was the Push Mountain Road just south of Mountain Home, AR. It is AR 341 from AR 201 about 10 miles south of Mountain Home down to AR 27. 25 miles of curve after curve most rated at 20 to 35 mph. AR 27 on into Marshall is not bad either. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...wIdM7p6-g&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=10&via=1&t=m&z=10

#14 ·
Wow! I count about 100 curves at Push Mt Rd. That must have put a smile on your face. I have been preparing my skills and keeping my Burger well maintained for future touring such as what you guys are doing, just waiting for when I can go part time at work. I have just put in for my SS benies and hope to have some real good riding years ahead.
Asolof, keep those reports coming in. Hoping you have a great run. Be safe.

#15 ·
Oh it did put a grin on my face. It is a bit tiring though. A lot of those curves come at you just as you go over a rise so you are really having to concentrate on what is coming at you the full time.

#16 ·
Day2
Day Miles = 144
Trip Miles = 313
States = Virginia

Decided Virginia is big enough for the time I have allotted. Decided to take smaller roads. From Fairfax, VA I took 50 to 29 and followed 29 first west then south. I stopped in Culpepper, and walked around the Historical Downtown for awhile and took some photos there. From there I headed south through Charleston. Going through the Univerity of Virginia I got to watch their marching band rehearsing. Continued south and ended up in Amherst, just North of Lynchburg.

The weather is still a factor, it was damp and drizzly early in the morning. Apparently Mother Nature didn't check Weather.com. During the day it was beautiful. Tonight it is going down into the upper 30's. I didn't bring my extreme cold weather gear so I'll probably wait a bit in the morning before heading off, after it warms up a bit.

Photos: https://solof.shutterfly.com/3323

#19 ·
Buffalo, a weary smile is probably the best kind of all. I think it means that you and your machine were one for a moment in time. You have no idea how much I want to do that. Lol. I think it is time for me to quit dreaming and just do it. Push Mt. or the likes of it will do just fine for me. The Burger is perfectly maintained for now, I have everything I need for a run to Florida and back and Social Security will inform me as to their decision on my retirement. :) Late November seems like a good time all around for the trek.
It is interesting to me that amongst the three posters here that One is thinking and planning for it, One is actually doing it and One has just done it. Just sayin'

#20 · (Edited)
Day 3
Day miles = 85
Trip miles = 398
States = Virginia

I rode south on 29 into Lynchburg. Very hilly town. Kind of reminded me of San Francisco in that respect. Stopped off at Riverside park and took some photos.

Then I plotted a route to Rustburg to catch 501 (a 2 lane US Highway). Very scenic roads getting their. From Rustburg I traveled south on 501 crossing through Halifax and stopping at South Boston.

It is interesting how in different parts of the country, they take the names of other areas of the country or world.

Due to a big golf tournament in South Boston I had the pleasure of paying double the rate for my hotel. At least there was a vacancy.

It isn't fun, especially if you have been riding all day and are tired and the weather is inclement to expect to stop for the day and not find any place to stay. That wasn't the case today, but it has happened on occasion.

Customarily I take a hotel coupon book with me, but I haven't found one yet. That system works best when you are travelling the Interstates for the hotels along those.

Photos: https://solof.shutterfly.com/3343

#21 · (Edited)
Day 4
Day Miles = 164
Trip Miles = 562
Location = Williamsburg, VA

I took 58 East, then 85 North, then 95 North, 895 East, 295 NE, then 64 East.

Getting on that long winding high on-ramp to 895 to cross over the James River with the wind gusting was fun :rolleyes:. Stopped at a visitor center on 64 and finally picked up my hotel coupon catalogue.

The historical district is within walking distance of my hotel.

That snake in the photo was just lying on the side of the road. I didn't kick it to see if it was alive.

People dress up as they did in colonial days and explain how things were in those days in a very interesting and informative way.

The weather was beautiful today.

Photos: https://solof.shutterfly.com/3360

#22 ·
The Williamsburg photos are really cool. Thanks for those. You appear to be averaging 140 miles per day with weather against you. Pretty good in my book and since there is really no need to push it I hope you are just doing the fun miles and not having to push through them much. Glad you had a good weather day today and thanks for the update.

#23 ·
Arnie has had some good training in riding inclement weather. :D Best of luck to ya Doc. The photo was in mid May of 2011 on the road to Mt St Helens (active volcano) :

Motor vehicle Atmospheric phenomenon Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle

#24 ·
Day 5
Day miles = 4
Trip miles = 566

Spent the day touring Colonial Williamsburg. Perfect weather again. The tour guide / actors are really good and "take you back in time" with their reenactments and talks.

The weather forecast is for rain this weekend so I think I'm going to head homeward. Those weather fronts creating a mess in the Midwest / central US are heading eastward.

Photos: https://solof.shutterfly.com/3377

#25 ·
Dave,

A memorable ride for sure. With the dense fog I could only see the painted road line a few feet in front of me. I couldn't go to fast. If I slowed or stopped I was afraid I'd be rear ended. I didn't want to pull over on the shoulder of the road since I couldn't see it clearly, or the point of drop off the edge of the mountain. In retrospect I wonder how much of my blindness was just the fog, or the cataracts developing in both eyes which I was unaware of. At that time, the cataracts were not a problem in clear daylight, but I'm now wondering weather the clouded lenses from the cataracts were disproportionately problematic in fog conditions.

I don't know why, but I don't seem to feel comfortable riding when I can't see the road in front of me ...

Arnie

#26 ·
I have the cataract issue myself and had the surgery done on my right eye about four years ago. Still working great and I'm looking forward to getting the other eye done. Though I was at St Luke's all day, the surgery itself took less than ten minutes and I was able to see immediately afterward. It was absolutely amazing! Do not fear anything but the price when going for the surgery - and if you are uninsured the way I was, they even cut the price.

#27 ·
I had my left eye done a little over a year ago. Now I think its time to get the other eye done. Vision in that eye is fairly good during the day but it drops off significantly at night (haze, flare, blur).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.