Key West trip - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Key West trip

Well, we made it to Key West. Spent Sat. night there and are now in Gainesville, Fa. Couple showers coming down by Natural Bridge and Miami mostly dry so far. Heading toward Nashville,Nc on R 441. Surprised at the low # of bikes on the road. Later. Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Super Poster

I may have missed an earlier post where your noted your intended route, but please share; what roads did you use to get there. I plan to go south later this year, but not that far.

I hope you occasionally got off 95 and viewed the county side. Many years ago, I was riding through South Carolina and purposely got lost in some of the lesser traveled roads. I stopped at a small gas station which also had a small "all you can eat" southern kitchen. It was run by a young couple. Two very lovely people. The husband took care of gas and the garage. The wife cooked and ran the 2-3 table dining area. Chicken, biscuits, cornbread, homemade pies, greens, pork...etc. My wife and I probably had our best and largest meal of our journey.

Things were slow so the couple, at my instance, sat with us. We rarely meet such nice, hardworking people. We killed more than 3 hours there and it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable memories of our trip.

The price for food was so ridiculously low, I felt I couldn't just pay and leave, it just didn't jive with all that my Pop had taught me. I frankly left multiples of the total bill ... and I felt wonderful doing so... They protested that it was way too much... but no way ! As we were driving off, the wife came out with a really large doggy bag and insisted we take it. Not too long later we found a motel and had more of that wonderful southern food... I cannot tell a lie.... I also ate all the pie ... 3 pieces...
jeff_MDR, AROTH and John Holbrook like this.

Thanks...
Lou

2015 Burgman 650
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Well, we made it to Key West. Spent Sat. night there and are now in Gainesville, Fa. Couple showers coming down by Natural Bridge and Miami mostly dry so far. Heading toward Nashville,Nc on R 441. Surprised at the low # of bikes on the road. Later. Rich
Pictures please when you get a chance?
Stig

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Not many pics. I'll post later. Left Mon. the 23rd. Ran Routes 104, 11/15, 322, 81, 501, 40, 64. Laid over Tues. Left Wed. Ran 40, 95, to Fort Pierce. Then 1, A1A to Key West Sat. Sun started North. 1 to 997, 41, 17, 27, 441. Plan on jumping on the lower end of the Blue Ridge Pkwy to Nashville and stopping there to see relatives. Then back to Raleigh,Nc to my son's. I'll plan my run home from there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:07 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Well safe travels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Re reading my posts, see that twice I typed in Nashville instead of Asheville, sorry. At Asheville,NC we jumped on Rt40 to 540. Then to 64. Laying over till at least Mon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

home

Left Raleigh, NC Mon. N. on RT. 1 to 96 to 15 to 522. Stopped at Front Royal, VA. N. 522 to Rt. 35 in PA. 35 to 235, home.

Last edited by trailblazer; 09-19-2016 at 10:40 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Turbo Poster

Which beach(es) are pictured?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

beach

6 of the pics are panned of Higgs Beach taken from the West Martello Tower. We were told all that nice sand has to be trucked in. The last 2 (with the car and tiki hut) have the 7 mile bridge in the background. It's the longest at 6.9 mi. 42 bridges total to Key West.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Turbo Poster

Okay, Higgs Beach looks a lot like Smathers Beach. My favorite in the Keys is Sombrero Beach in Marathon. More relaxed, less crowded, prettier shoreline. Love Marathon.
I'm not seeing a car in any of the additional pictures. Just (1) a red building with statues, (2) a sandy area with a chicken(?); (3) a view off a pier and (last pic) a wall with a red blooming tree behind a domed structure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.