Looking for Other Burgmans in Washington State and Oregon - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Looking for Other Burgmans in Washington State and Oregon

Hi,

So, is any one else on this forum in Washington State or Northern Oregon? As far as I know (according to the dealer here) I'm the first Burgman owner in the Tri-Cities, in South Eastern Washington. Is there anyone else here in the area? There is one scooter club here, but everyone rides little Vespas and Metropolitans. I feel like I'm in a Lilliputian scooter gang. I'd really like to ride with some people who have decent full-size bikes, and who can go more than 40 mph. I'm in the heart of Washington Wine Country here, and we have cool events all summer (including power boat racing on the Columbia river) but I'd like a bunch of Burgmans to tour with. I'd even organize the rallies if anyone else would come.
hrdillender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

We are starting to get a significant number of Burgman owners in western WA. Plus a number up in BC, Canada. You are welcome to put on the rain togs and join us on the green side of the state.
PhilW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

hr,

I'm out here in Manchester with my 650 and hope we can get a gathering of the brethren together somewhere near Seattle or Tacoma when the wx is a little drier. A ride around Hood Canal makes for a nice day but getting out here adds an hour or more for most folks. Anyway, I'll keep reading and maybe try to organize a ride around the end of May or early June. I'd also hope some of the riders could make it together on a weekday if schedules permit. Much less traffic.

h
Habu55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

A few of us did a post months ago about a gathering of Washington & B.C. Burgman owners getting together in the spring. There were a few suggestions made about a meeting place in Washington. That idea didn’t generate a lot of interest as I think it was a bit premature. Maybe this is a better time to see what interest there is in a gathering?

The Burgmans are selling well in B.C. and they’re several new owners here on Vancouver Island. If the rain would stop I am sure that there would be more Burgman sales thus more owners.

I like the idea of a weekday gathering but that would most likely negate a lot of owners from attending, as they would be working during the week. I don’t care about the location as it will just be another great ride.

Pictures: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Als-650-Executive
alburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Poster

I'd love to get together with other Burgman riders. I checked out the earlier posts, and everyone seemed interested in an April event for the Tulip festival. By coincidence, it's April. I know what you mean about the rain, though. The weather has been better here on the East side of the mountains, but it's still been VERY windy with light showers. Bearable for riding most of the time, but gusts up to 50 mph don't make for a relaxing ride. More of an "overcoming the elements" experience, really. It does seem that I'm the only Burgman rider this side of the Cascades (which blows), and it's a 4 hour ride to get there over the Snoqualmie Pass or through the Columbia Gorge, either of which is daunting, to say the least, on a 400. the west side is much nicer to look at, unless you like windswept high desert alot. There are really cool events here later in the summer though. September is the "Catch the Crush" wine tasting when all the Columbia Valley wineries showcase their new vintages. It times out pretty well with the National Power Boat Races on the Columbia, and there are several art festivals around then as well, but the wineries are my particular favorite, being something of wine-o. They usually showcase local wineries with the best restaurants in the area for food and wine pairings. The local vespa club does a wine tasting tour during the crush (usually 9-12 wineries in a weekend), and although vespas are cute, it would be really cool to breeze in with a flock of Burgmans (frankly, the local vespa club is rather snobbish, and has turned it's nose up at my Burgy. I'm welcome to "ride with them every now and then" though. I think they have "small scooter insecurities"). Getting here from the West side is as tough for everyone else as me getting there, though, so I don't know that it's reasonable. However, if there is an event on the West side, I'll do what I can to get there (maybe we can meet in the middle and cruise Winatchee and Moses Lake or something... ok, never mind. I'll just find a way to make it over the pass). It's not Snoqualmie itself that's the problem, actually, although that's bad enough, if it's wet, but crossing the mountains between Snoqualmie and Yakima is dangerous even in a car. Mountain passes with no trees to block the wind, and not even a guard rail along most of it, let alone a cell phone tower or a gas station through large stretches of the way. Although if you'd like a challenge, come and see me . Riding the Columbia Gorge would be really cool, actually, if the weather held out. It's got some of the most amazing panoramic scenery in the area, and Multnomah Falls is right along the way. Same gas station problem, though, through the back half. If the weather didn't hold though, the Gorge acts like a giant wind tunnel, pumping huge amounts of cold pacific air through at up to 70 mph on a bad day. Anyone up for some fun?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Well, I've already signed up for a week's vacation the week of July 4th, and another in September (the week of Labor Day).

I wasn't sure when I'd take my trip to Mexico, but I think I'll do that in July and save September to visit the Tri-cities. hrdillender, if you could post (or PM me) any dates for the wine festivals and, especially, the power boat races that would be great.

Also, Everett Powersports left a message on my machine; my scooter's 7500 mile service is done (overdue at 9,100 ), so if the weather is good this Sunday I'm going to ride over to Whidbey Island (okay, I'll take a ferry over ) and ride up island, Fort Casey, etc., then back to Everett via Anacortes, La Conner, Mount Vernon, etc.

If the weather's not good, then I'll do it the following Sunday, rain or shine. (I choose Sunday, because I don't get off work on "Friday" until 01:15 Saturday morning, and I sleep until noonish. That makes for a late start for touring.)

The Tulip Festival is on until the 30th, so either weekend would work.

I'll post a weather update here on this thread on Thursday, and if anybody wants to meet up we can arrange a rendezvous point and time.

Later!

Silver AN650K3 since June 9, 2004.

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Re: Looking for Other Burgmans in Washington State and Orego

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdillender
...There is one scooter club here, but everyone rides little Vespas and Metropolitans. I feel like I'm in a Lilliputian scooter gang. ...

I really got a kick out of that, "Gulliver"!

Maybe you should nickname your Burgman "Jonathan" since it's so "Swift." :P

Anyway, I know of a Burgman rider in Meridian, Idaho, and I seem to recall seeing a rider here on BUSA from Spokane or Yakima, but I'm not sure.

I know there are lots of Burgman riders on this side of the mountains, but I've yet to see one (other than mine, of course) on the road. Hopefully that'll change soon.

Ciao!

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Poster

Here is the link for the Catch the Crush events:

http://www.columbiavalleywine.com/catchthecrush.htm

It's Sept. 24 and 25. Looks like a good set of events. I can check with the wineries and find out exactly what each will be doing this year, and which food purveyors are having events as well, if anyone is interested.

Here's the link for the Columbia Cup Tri-City Water Follies:

http://www.columbiacup.com/events/

It's July 29 - 31. If you've never been to hydroracing, it's quite a spectacle, and they usually include some stunt flying in modern and antique planes as well as part of the show (they did last year, anyway). July 4 is cool here as well, as they do a massive fireworks show over the Columbia River, and they have a competing show in Pasco just across the bridge, so you get 2 for one. Everyone camps out all day along the banks of the Columbia, and Burgmans would be excellent for getting in and out of the park, since the traffic is horrible.

In addition, We have the Richland Cool Desert Nights event:

http://www.cooldesertnights.com/

June 23-25, 2005. It's a classic, modern, and custom auto and motorcycle show, with lots of cool events, including the official "Cruise" of the participants, public street dance parties (mostly classic rock and blues, but some jazz as well), slow drags, pancake breakfast and barbeque dinner included in participant fee, battle of the bands, and so on. A good time, especially if you like classic cars and bikes. Be nice to represent the Burgman there, actually.

Apparently there will also be JetSki races July 16 and September 10-11, the Tumbleweed Music Festival (mostly a jazz event) September 3-4, the "On the Water Boat Show" Sept 14-19, and an assortment of Marathon / Triathalon / Duathalon events for the physically fit (I'll be at the winery, you go ahead on that one).

If none of those dates work, I used to work at one of the Wineries (the Bookwalter), and I know I can arrange special events any time we want, with not very much notice, and so we can also do our own wine tour.

Of course, while looking, I found a boatload of events going on in Seattle this summer as well, so I'm sure there's plenty on both sides of the mountain. The one thing you can be sure of here during the summer, though, is hot, dry riding weather, and lots of open road. Riding through the miles and miles of vineyards and orchards is something to see, as well. I'm diggin' it right now, actually, cuz the apple orchards are blooming, and the orchard owners have just put out the bee hives to pollenate. When the wind blows (which is alot right now), the white blossoms blow around like warm snow flurries. The vineyards will be in full bloom by may or early june, and the air gets thick with the smell of grapes.

Anyway, that's a run down of the main events going on here this summer. There's lots of smaller stuff, but that's mainly what someone from anywhere else might want to see.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

That looks like quite a list of activities. I'll have to see what I can work out.

I've seen lots of hydro races, of course. The big one on Lake Washington is part of SeaFair, which I attend every year. Since I have a boat I get a front row seat for the races, the Blue Angels' airshow, etc.

I've never seen the race on the Columbia, though, so that might be cool.

Anyway, I'll get back to you if I find myself heading east, and you can reciprocate if you're heading west any time.

Oh, I just thought of something else I want to see. My late sister once visited a museum or gallery down your way someplace, I can't remember the name nor exactly where it is. I think she said it was once a mansion, and that they have a collection of Rodins there. Any idea what/where she was talking about?

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Poster

Brian,
Maryhill junction of Hwy 14 and 97 south of Goldendale. Across the Columbia river from Biggs, OR.
PhilW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.