Texas United Scooter Rally June 9-11 - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDollar View Post
It's about time we had a scooter rally in Texas. I was thinking about going to ROT the same weekend but this may be more my speed. Plus the country around there has some fantastic riding. I have to check my calendar but there's a good chance I'm going. Pretty sure I won't be tent camping, I'm too old for that.
I'm 64 and I will camp out because I have the equipment to be comfortable. Tent, compact cot, self inflating air mattress, self inflating pillow, sleeping bag. Since it is almost summer I will have a compact battery op. Fan. All of it cost about as much as two nights in a name brand motel.

If you want a packable tent. Look at Academy for Magellin Kings peak II, two man tent. Apx $70 and it can handle heavy wind and rain on top of Mt Majesty in Ark. Did not leak a drop in two day rain!
Cot is only apx 6 in, off the floor and very small folded
My bedroll is also Magellin and can be worn like a robe in the morning with hoodie and pockets.
My mattress is Coleman. It's kid size! Runs from head to knees. This is to reduce size.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Poster

Now you've got me rethinking. I have a room booked through AirBNB for $65 a night but I may just cancel. The plus side, once I have the gear I have a reason to go more often....."but honey, I spent all that money on camping equipment, I need to use it".

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
Living the good life in Fort Worth TX
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Super Poster

Why is this thread dead. Did everyone back out? ☹️

I searched on Facebook for Texas United Scooter Rally and got nothin'. Guess I'm goin solo.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.

Last edited by Sandspike; 04-03-2017 at 10:03 AM.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blacktruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspike View Post

I searched on Facebook for Texas United Scooter Rally and got nothin'. Guess I'm goin solo.
I hope they didn't all back out. Just picked up my 17 model 650 and looking for some places to go and meet up with other Burgman riders. I'm in Texarkana and loosely planning to attend.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Why is this thread dead.
No one can find the "Republic of Texas" on any map produced in the last 170 or so years (:
BurgyBill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:

I don't know what the issue is. I just checked the 2017 1st Annual TEXAS UNITED SCOOTER RALLY Facebook page and it said that 44 were interested and 22 were going as of today, 04/03/17. And there is still a lot of time to go. It's not until June 8-11th. With 353 more interested, I am sure it's going to be a big event. Wish I could go.
Don't be impatient, most people are probably like me and waiting for the camping gear to go on sale.
Hey, where's a good place to shop for camping gear without spending and arm and a leg. I'll probably go on amazon looking for "Compact" camping gear. That "super tent" sounded pretty good. And that cot 6 inches of the ground might just barely keep the scorpions off your behind!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 04-03-2017 at 11:20 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Super Poster

I'm planning on going but I wish there were more details. I figured worse case no one else shows up and I can pick and choose my own rides. I definitely want to do the Sisters (does that sound bad?). Just running the numbers on Google maps, it's about 4 1/2 round trip from Fredricksburg. Regardless, there are some great rides in the area.

I'm planning taking off a little early Thursday afternoon and leaving town around 2:00 or 3:00. It's right at 4 hours from Fort Worth so I should get there in plenty of time to get a camp site and grab some dinner.

This is going to be my first go at "motorcycle camping". It's either going to suck or be the start of something fun.
BurgyBill likes this.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
This is going to be my first go at "motorcycle camping". It's either going to suck or be the start of something fun.
It can be a lot of fun if:

1). You don't bring too much. If you're bringing a trailer, you're bringing too much (unless you're riding 2-up).

2). You are prepared for rain.

Seriously consider bringing a hammock instead of a tent. It will cut way back on the bulk you are bringing. You do need trees, so if you are going to a treeless area, tent would be better.

I think it is a bit of an art - seeing how minimal you can go. You need less than you might think.

One area to cut back on is clothes. I'd recommend the following:

Required:
Jeans: 2 pair, kevlar. NO MORE!
Shorts: 2 pair. One heavy weight. One light weight - the kind with zip-on legs.
Jacket: 1, fleece zip-up style, lightweight
T-Shirts: 2
Long-Sleeve Shirts: 2 (one safari style with pockets and such, one not, but thick style)
Socks: 3 pair.
Underwear: 3 pair
Boots: 1 pair, motorcycle
Sandles: 1 pair (for camp site, general walking around)

Optional:
Jeans: 1 pair, fleece/flannel lined (if it may be cold where you go)
Boots: 1 pair, hiking
Swim trunks: 1 pair
Sweatshirt: 1 (if you think it may be cold where you go)
Sweatpants: 1 (good for around camp, and riding if it may be cold)

That's all you need for clothes. You can stop every 3 day and find a laundrymat. If you want to add 2 more pair of underwear and socks, you can extend it to 5 days.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 04-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post

One area to cut back on is clothes. I'd recommend the following:

Required:
Jeans: 2 pair, kevlar. NO MORE!
Shorts: 2 pair. One heavy weight. One light weight - the kind with zip-on legs.
Jacket: 1, fleece zip-up style, lightweight
T-Shirts: 2
Long-Sleeve Shirts: 2 (one safari style with pockets and such, one not, but thick style)
Socks: 3 pair.
Underwear: 3 pair
Boots: 1 pair, motorcycle
Sandles: 1 pair (for camp site, general walking around)

You sir, grossly overestimate my personal hygiene. A small bottle of Febreze and a toothbrush and I'm good for 3 days.

But seriously, I can travel pretty light. Last October, the wife I did 2 weeks in Mexico and all I had was a backpack.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
You sir, grossly overestimate my personal hygiene.
Ride in the back of the pack please.

(;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.