Largest Scooter Rally in World

Interesting:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-pics.1170610/
ridercoach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Turbo Poster

Interesting indeed, but too many vintage Vespa types. Those scoots do nothing for me. Better than a redneck cruiser rally, but I think this one would be the one for me and probably quite a few of us:
See pic in this thread:
Burgmans In Hungary
xringracing likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

That would be nice too........and there is no reason that a maxi scooter rally could not be developed and successful. Would just take some work in organizing and promoting and willing owner and dealer/vendor sponsorship and participation. Maybe with the major ownership being on both coasts it might be tough.
It is obviously not going to happen w/ the STO approach.

When you see the You Tube videos of Burgman Italia and their meets you see something very special w/ Suzuki sponsorship and participation. Those are not cheap trips but seem put together in a very quality manner.
BurgyBill likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Super Poster

When the wife & I were living in San Antonio, we participated with the Texas Road Rats scooter group. Had a couple of Vespa's, a few Chinese scooters but most of the group rode Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda scooters. I started w/ the group on a Reflex 250 and worked (aka spent) my way up with bigger scooters. Lots of great local rides and also out of town overnight trips. Key people in the group moved away, quit riding, etc and membership declined and I don't think that it is an active group anymore. There was another large scooter club in San Antonio that mostly rode new & old Vespa's. It was a younger group than our's and they seemed to favor tattoos, nose rings, loud social behavior. Never participated in any of their stuff.
Maybe in the future someone might take the reins and organize a national BUSA rally. I wouldn't mind helping organize a Texas event with the help of others on this site that live here in Texas. Lots of great roads here in the Kerrville area. I still go to motorcycle events but not any that require a "fee". Years ago wife & I rode the m/c out to the Laughlin River Run, got hosed w/ the "event fee" (received a bandana and some other junk) and jacked-up hotel rates. Also paid to attend the Golden Aspen Rally in Ruidoso, NM - less money than Laughlin but we found that we could just show up and pay a day entry fee for the vendor's area if so desired.
Bottom line, you don't necessarily need to pay anyone money to meet up w/ a like-minded group of friends/fellow riders and have a good time.
BurgyBill likes this.

Ed W.
'16 650 Exec (sold)
'12 650 Exec Pearl Mirage White (sold)
'07 Silverwing ABS (sold)
'06 Burgie 400 (sold)
'06 Zuma 50 mosquito fogger (sold)
'06 Elite 80 (sold)
'04 Agility 125 POS (sold)
'04 Reflex 250 (sold)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nice but that's for REAL scooter which I don't ride.

Mike
Black 09 650 Exc Bought 3/30/13 7350 miles, grip puppies & Bearcat backrest.
Darksided 5/8/16 33,215 miles Bridgestone 165/60r-14
07 400 bought 6/08 with 500 miles sold with 46,818 miles 3/23/13
First bike new 1966 blue Honda 175 Scrambler
Romans 10:9
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

That sounds good and Texas Hill Country would be a great location but what you are describing is another family ride or whatever you want to call it because if you and I and others aren't gonna spend any money on anything you aren't going to get anything. That is obviously the problem w/ STO and why it is failing while Hot Springs and B, B & B in Arkansas continue to grow and prosper. Sturgis does pretty well too and isn't cheap.

Most of the rallys that are "cheap" end up being a bunch of people standing around and talking about the last rally and then going on an afternoon ride.....and they are dying out as the same people age.

But nothing prevents you from organizing a family ride for whomever wants to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucwinters View Post
Maybe in the future someone might take the reins and organize a national BUSA rally. I wouldn't mind helping organize a Texas event with the help of others on this site that live here in Texas. Lots of great roads here in the Kerrville area. I still go to motorcycle events but not any that require a "fee". Years ago wife & I rode the m/c out to the Laughlin River Run, got hosed w/ the "event fee" (received a bandana and some other junk) and jacked-up hotel rates. Also paid to attend the Golden Aspen Rally in Ruidoso, NM - less money than Laughlin but we found that we could just show up and pay a day entry fee for the vendor's area if so desired.
Bottom line, you don't necessarily need to pay anyone money to meet up w/ a like-minded group of friends/fellow riders and have a good time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
there is already a burgman global rally in Europe, takes place every year, I was invited this year but can't make it.
BurgyBill likes this.

| GIVI AF266 | Denali D2| BreakAway C.C | Pillion Backrest | Sena SMH10 | Gerbings T5 & Jacket | Fehling Racks | Givi E21 | AirHawk 2 | Fender Extender | MCL Reservoir Cover | K&N Air Filter | Stebel Nautilus Horn | Zumo 350 | Drift HD Ghost |
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash View Post
That sounds good and Texas Hill Country would be a great location but what you are describing is another family ride or whatever you want to call it because if you and I and others aren't gonna spend any money on anything you aren't going to get anything. That is obviously the problem w/ STO and why it is failing while Hot Springs and B, B & B in Arkansas continue to grow and prosper. Sturgis does pretty well too and isn't cheap.

Most of the rallys that are "cheap" end up being a bunch of people standing around and talking about the last rally and then going on an afternoon ride.....and they are dying out as the same people age.

But nothing prevents you from organizing a family ride for whomever wants to participate.
Most of the free m/c events that I attend means a group of riders going on a 200 - 400 mile ride for that day. Recent trip to N. Carolina meant that the rides might only be 200 miles or slightly more due to the curvy roads but that took most of the day d/t slower riding speed. Any standing around in the parking lot was reserved for after supper. Wouldn't classify these as "family events". Most of the group are iron butt riders.
A ride in the hill country here doing the 3 Sisters would easily end up being 200+ miles at the end of the day.
Everyone picks their own style of events that they'd like to attend.
BurgyBill likes this.

Ed W.
'16 650 Exec (sold)
'12 650 Exec Pearl Mirage White (sold)
'07 Silverwing ABS (sold)
'06 Burgie 400 (sold)
'06 Zuma 50 mosquito fogger (sold)
'06 Elite 80 (sold)
'04 Agility 125 POS (sold)
'04 Reflex 250 (sold)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

True, but nothing prevents you getting together with other riders for a day ride anytime you like. That is not a rally and you seem not to want to pay to help support a legitimate rally, and that is certainly your choice.

I could care less about family rides and much of the bench racing that occurs at these gatherings but would be interested in the demo rides on new bikes and vendor offerings that occur at the larger, and successful rallys.

Harley rallys are a bit different but you can look around the country and see BMW rallys that are over 25 years old and thriving.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Turbo Poster

Westnash & ucwinters, you guys both bring up good points. The problem I've often found with people wanting rallies and rides is that if you listen to what 90% of them are saying it sounds an awful lot like they always want the rest of the riders to come to them & their neck of the woods. I mean really read and analyze through posts about "suggested" rallies and rides carefully. You'll almost always observe the same thing. "Oh yeah it'd be great to have a gathering--as a matter of fact, my town has-". Well, hey, somebody's going to have to travel. But it can't be me! And to think many of the European riders have to cross national borders a lot of times, yet still attend events three or more countries over, loving every minute of it.
As a side point, many riders here have told me that the 3 Sisters can often have herd animals or deer crossing and wham! Their stories were interesting. Best to avoid riding too late near dusk, LOL.
Rusty J and ucwinters like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.