Scooting The Ozarks 2016 - Page 4 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Insane Poster

But nothing would stop scooter riders from organizing their own ride at the larger rally. All it would take is a little "coordination"....a great job for the "coordinator" and you gain all the benefits of the larger rally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Turbo Poster

Having looked at the "registered" list on the STO website, it seems that the final attendance tally was 20 people. Slowly pictures from the rally will start to filter in there and on their Facebook page, I'd figure. Hopefully someone on here who attended will chime in on how it all went. I'm sure it was fun for all involved.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
... snipped ... Meh. Too many cruisers. I recently went on rides with a lot of these types and between the snive attitudes toward scooters and the unbearable noise pollution, a maxi-scooterist like me just doesn't fit in. Yeah, it's doable but why bother ... I'd still kill for a chance to be in a group of "our own kind"--just for once however it may be--warts and all!
I totally get what you'r saying BB. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends ride "big bikes". In fact, I am a member of our local Southern Cruisers Riding Club chapter which is comprised of mostly cruisers and touring bikes. You make an excellent point about maxi-scooterists being a bit "different".

It's like a family, team or fraternity/sorority that share some basic, almost intangible, important things in common that unless you're "in" ... it's hard to understand. It's like the riding saying goes ... "if I have to explain it ... you won't understand".

Long live the maxi's and the people who ride and love 'em!!!
BurgyBill likes this.

Ride safe ... All-ways!

2004 Blue Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 62,000 km
2005 Titanium Honda Silverwing (hiz) - 25,000 km

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Turbo Poster

Looks like there are some changes for 2017, but most things like the location will more or less stay the same. They are also kicking around ideas on how to drive up attendance by appealing to riders of smaller scoots. Feel free to chime in Tess, so we could get the info from the source and not second hand by me. I know I'd be interested in going this time.
http://scoottheozarks.proboards.com/...anges-sto-2017
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Insane Poster

What happened to Tess? Kudo's to all the people who worked on this but 20 people for what should be a major gathering at a prime time of the year doesn't count as a rally. Why in the world would the organizers not look at Hot Springs and BB & B and see how successful they are and maybe even think of combining with a section for scooters before they lose everyone who is not local or has a vested interest in keeping the same old, same old! I personally think the idea of a "family gathering" should not be the prime ingredient.

Even though the maxi scooter population may be east coast and west coast Arkansas is a good location with some great riding.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash View Post
What happened to Tess? Kudo's to all the people who worked on this but 20 people for what should be a major gathering at a prime time of the year doesn't count as a rally. Why in the world would the organizers not look at Hot Springs and BB & B and see how successful they are and maybe even think of combining with a section for scooters before they lose everyone who is not local or has a vested interest in keeping the same old, same old! I personally think the idea of a "family gathering" should not be the prime ingredient.

Even though the maxi scooter population may be east coast and west coast Arkansas is a good location with some great riding.
Agreed, Arkansas has some great riding for our maxi-scooters. But from what I'm beginning to see about these maxi-scooter "rallies", though, is that they all seem to be small albeit larger than the 20 at STO. The one in Colorado and the one in Virginia (that will be held in Wisconsin in '17) didn't seem to have that much more in attendance. But you are right that it'd be nice to have a larger, traditional "rally" in every sense of the word and not a "family gathering" type. That said, looking at the antiquated STO website and the fact that there is no online registration option among other things, as well as the demographic that showed up as seen in the pictures, I wouldn't expect any "cutting edge" progressivism from STO any time soon. Before this year's rally they spoke of radical changes for 2017, only to hold a meeting on one night at the hotel and decide to pretty much keep everything the same (same town, overpriced hotel, etc) except to try to draw in smaller scooter riders Reminds me of a large group ride I was on this year, where the I was expecting the route to be different than last year, and the organizer went on and on about changes in the way stuff was going to be handled, etc. In the end on ride day everything was the same as last year and even the route was turn for turn exactly the same as last year (and previous years I soon found out) Next year, I will not attend again. Been there done that.
Anyway, we'd love to hear what you have to say if you're there Tess.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the slow response. For some reason I'm not getting email notifications. (I changed some settings, maybe it will work now.) I'm NOT rally coordinator, and have never claimed to be. I just try to share STO Rally information. Hard to be very enthusiastic about posting here when I read mostly criticism. I do know of some changes planned, but will not post them here until Lance is ready to share the information with the STO group. Hope to see some of you at STO in September.

Tressa
STO Rally Volunteer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 AM
Insane Poster

No one is critical of you, Tess. Only of missed opportunity. Why not have Lance take a look at some of our comments, especially about combining, and take them into consideration in planning for 2017?
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Turbo Poster

To me, at it's worst, this just seems like a healthy, friendly debate & shouldn't cause hard feelings for any involved. We're talking about a scooter rally instead of a thousand other things that divide the human race--how cool is that?

Look, there's no question that big or small, a scooter rally would be fun to attend. I merely pointed out to westnash that it seems that all these scooter rallies, not just yours, are small and not to get one's hopes up for otherwise. I have said consistently from the beginning that I envy those that can make it there. So analyzing my comments up until late one can see no criticism. I still intend to make it there next year, but would really be pleased if it were the first of a new beginning with radical changes. That said, as far as I'm concerned if any rally is going to be the same year after year, a one time attendance is enough. Cross it off the bucket list and move on. A large rally like westnash advocates is nice too, but not a total necessity for me. His comments are good to hear and pass on to the STO rally coordinator though. And the STO head should seriously give it fair consideration, rather than covering his ears (if that is what he's doing---we don't know). But looking to attract smaller scooters?? Seriously? We already have enough of an uphill battle trying to sell the maxiscooter image to the general public (particularly the demographic found in Eureka Springs & Arkansas in general) as being not just another putt-putt. Adding 50 to 150cc mopeds with meep-meep horns would be a step backwards to accomplishing that. There are probably more moped rallies of their own than we have anyway. In every city. To really boost attendance for a maxi-scooter rally one needs to look at what will interest new maxi-scooter riders, not just the core repeat attendees. Now if appealing to a small repeat circle (almost like a private affair) is what they want, then...
Just a though or two.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 11-15-2016 at 02:59 PM.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Insane Poster

Yep, agree and many times there are vested interests involved and a few who like it like it is even if it declines to nothing. But those two I mentioned, Hot Springs & B,B, & B show what can and are being done. From a marketing perspective, Scootin in the Ozarks should really be a part of one of those.
BurgyBill likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.