Scooting The Ozarks 2016 - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

We have 14 pre-registered so far (4 from Texas). I think a lot are waiting until closer to rally time to see what the weather will be like. The brochures from Harrison probably wouldn't include STO since we are in Eureka Springs. Who prints the other brochures? If you check the Arkansas Tourism Official Site online, arkansas.com you will find STO listed with the motorcycle rallies. As for STO being "my baby" I've been involved with Scooting The Ozarks from the first, but Lance (razorbackredneck) is rally coordinator and he does the rally planning now. We also have a ride coordinator to plan the rides, and a show-n-shine coordinator.
BurgyBill likes this.

Tressa
STO Rally Volunteer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Insane Poster

Why don't you do a little coordinating with Harrison and those rallys that have become so big and promote themselves to the general motorcycle riding public?
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Turbo Poster

Tess, I stand corrected. My hard copy "Arkansas Motorcycling Guide 2016" only lists a few rallies, but a closer reading yields the statement at the bottom that tells one to find a full list of rallies on the web link you mentioned above. The more scooters get there the better it'll be I'm sure. Thanks for getting the word out as much as you already have.
I can see why many might hold out for the weather outlook. For me personally, the distance and time off involved is a consideration. It's about a six hour or more drive (if done leisurely pace) through unfamiliar areas (once I get there I am familiar with Eureka Springs, though). Good packing and planning is vital to make it work. I'm sure it is well worth it if someone is either three hours away, or very familiar with long distance touring, to be sure. I'll have to see about it a month out or so. Anyway, I'm sure it's a lot of fun for those that do go.
Is there an online way to register? If there is, I'm sure it would surely speed up the whole process. Probably allow for the last minute holdouts as well.
Hey, are there any of us BUSA forum members planning to go to STO? Especially y'all coming from Texas. And what routes are you heading up to get there?

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:24 AM

Please don't critisize until you've walked behind the scenes, in their shoes. I've been there done that when it comes to organizing this rally. You work your butt off all year for a handful of participants.

Believe me there has been many attemp's to get Honda/Suzuki to attend this rally. Honda has cut out their own rally's over the years (Honda Hoot, Honda Home coming) their not going to throw money into an independent rally. It takes money & people. Something the Scooter manufactures aren't willing to do.

We even had a local dealer one year to donate a scooter to raffle. To help this rally grow. Even then attendance was barely over 100 people.

And with today's internet sales, Ya can't hardly find vendors to come. That is, If you can find any decent scooter accessories vendor that's still in business.

And these people are volunteer's. They gain nothing by putting this on.

Until Maxi Scooters get as popular as Harley's or Goldwings the following is small so will be the rally's.

My hat's off to Tess & other's who work hard to put this on year after year.

2006 650 Burgman
2012 650 Burgman Trike
1989 Honda PC 800
2002 1800 GoldWing
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:42 AM
Insane Poster

Has anyone tried to get BMW or a BMW dealer or Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kymco to participate? Hat's off to all volunteers. Would the Tourism Dept of Arkansas help in more promotion? I see almost nothing advertising this rally. A few Google ads on forums such as this cost very little.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for speaking up in this thread, silverbullet05. We miss you and your bride at STO. Hope you can come again soon.

For many of those who do attend STO, I don't believe the lack of vendors bothers them. We go to ride the twisties with friends we have met over the years. We enjoy sharing our love of riding scooters in the Ozarks with new friends who arrive each year. STO isn't an urban rally where everyone rides from one "watering hole" to the next. We get out on the highway and put in some miles riding curves and hills, and maybe stop for lunch somewhere. Eureka Springs has an active night life (I'm told), but most of us are ready to rest at the end of a day of riding. We try to make everyone feel welcome, come join us.
jeff_MDR and silverbullet05 like this.

Tressa
STO Rally Volunteer

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Turbo Poster

Tess, again thank you. I guess for me as I stated, it isn't so much the orchestration of it as much as the time invested to take off work and ride out there, as well as the use of old fashioned snail mail to get my registration sheet to you guys instead of good old modern online registration with paypal or debit card instant pay. But otherwise, I think it's going to be great and will try hard to make it if I can.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Turbo Poster

Tess, on looking at the STO site, it seems a 2016 ride route map still hasn't been posted as of yet; only an "Agenda Sample" is up. When looking under rally maps-2016 there is no link to click on.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

BurgyBill, your questions have been answered on the STO forum, but I'll answer here, too for others. The ride coordinator hasn't posted ride routes yet. Though he's been to Eureka Springs many times, and is very familiar with the area, he actually lives in Illinois. He will probably make his maps, then take a trip to Eureka before rally time to ride the routes, then post them. He usually arrives at the rally early as well to ride the routes again to be sure there have not been any changes (road work, etc.) before the scheduled time for the rides. He is a young man with a job and family, so let's all be patient about getting the maps posted.

The all day guided ride is divided into groups of no more than 10 bikes per group. When forming groups, the more experienced riders will usually be in the "faster group", slower riders in the more "sedate" group, others scattered in between. The number of groups will depend on how many wish to make the long ride. The most difficult roads, requiring a lot of skill, are usually not included in the long guided ride. The ride coordinator will tell everyone that if they are not comfortable staying with the group they are with, to hang back (at one of the scheduled stops) and join the next group when they catch up. Faster group goes out first, sedate group last.

Hope this answers most of your questions about the ride maps.
BurgyBill likes this.

Tressa
STO Rally Volunteer

Last edited by tess; 07-17-2016 at 04:41 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to share what Lance, our STO Rally Coordinator, posted on STO's Facebook page earlier today:

Quote:
Hey folks..It's just under 2 month's away until our 9th annual STO Rally. If you have never been please come at least once. It's nothing fancy. We are all pretty much a very laid back group of folks who enjoy riding twisty roads, enjoy beautiful scenery, and enjoy each other's freindship and fun. There are lots of photo opportunities around there. For some folks or most it's a getawy for a few days from our everyday routine to enjoy something different. It's my yearly get away to a different atmosphere. Somewhere I can go and more or less to clear my mind so to speak.

Eureka has a special charm about it. Some say if you've been there once then you've been there. The staff work together every year to make this an enjoyable time for everyone. We have a fee to help cover the cost of organizing etc.. We(The Staff) make no profits on this whatsoever. No one gets paid a penny. Just our own personal time put into this to see other riders and their rides.

I know in the earlier years there were some sort of vendors set up. But now days it's almost to near immpossible to get one to attend a Scooter rally. This is considered a riding rally. Where we try to focus on a daily ride somewhere. There will be self guided rides and formed group rides of 10 with a ride leader. I'm thinkinhg about maybe trying to do a photo op ride. Where we can just ride and find places to stop and take a few pictures.

I've been asked and recieved a few calls about motorcycles. They're fine to come ride along with us too. We won't stop you from joining us if you don't ride a scooter. You're on 2 wheels and 3 on some. Trikes & Can-Am Spyders have been there.
But the main thing is if you ride and want to enjoy a fun time in a peaceful setting with other like minded good folks who are there for the same thing. Come check us out in September.

There will be at least 1 meal included with the fee. depending on how many folks come, there might be another one. The food cost is what takes the most. so I try to keep a resonable fee.

So once again here is our link. Go check it out. Thanks....
http://scoottheozarks.proboards.com/

Oh 1 more thing You don't have to stay in the host hotel that's just where we all gather before going on a ride. There are some wonderful campgrounds around if you choose that. It's just not everyone can stay at a campsite. We have to also look out for our older generation who come to the rally. Sit and talk with some of these guys. Everyone has a story.

Stay safe folks....

Tressa
STO Rally Volunteer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.