Texas Mini Rally - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Texas Mini Rally

This was started on a thread in the General forum and I'd thought I'd move it over here. Nothing may ever come of it, but what the heck. It's fun to talk about.

So, something in the DFW area was mentioned so was the Hill Country. Being in Fort Worth, I can be in the edge of hill country almost as fast as the east side of Dallas. But I'm game for almost anything, I think it would be cool to have a pack of Burgman's going down the road.
BurgyBill likes this.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
Living the good life in Fort Worth TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDollar View Post
Being in Fort Worth, I can be in the edge of hill country almost as fast as the east side of Dallas.
I don't see how that's possible unless you are counting a far greater area as the "Hill Country". According to Wikipedia, it encompasses 25 counties, mostly west of San Antonio and southwest of Austin at its northernmost extent. Google maps: Fort Worth to Kaufman 1hour 3min or 66 miles. Fort Worth to Johnson City 3hrs 21 min or 204 miles .
That said we really should organize something that can jive with all of our schedules keeping in mind that while some here are older and retired, many of us here are somewhat younger and still working for the "Man" with tighter schedules. Indeed a Burgman pack riding down the road would be a priceless thing to see.
G-Bo likes this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

I'm on the far SE side of Fort Worth so I can get to Llano in 3 hours and it's about an 1 1/2 hours to Kaufman. I grew up in Ennis so I know there's some good rides around the area. Frankly, I'm up for anything. I'm one of those younger, still working riders so a weekend works.

I've always been a little disappointed that we didn't have a Texas Burgman rally of some kind. One of the advantages of doing something in the hill country is you can pull riders from Houston and San Antonio. But it's going to be hard to find a location that works for everyone.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Insane Poster

Believe it or not we once did have a Texas Burgman Rally, actually a couple of them. One in Kerrville and one in Franklin. And we had several DFW meet and greets. We had as many as 30 or 40 riders show up at them. Those occurred in the first few years after I joined the board.

The problem with them is getting someone to do all the leg work to organize and plan them. Things like figure out the venue, make the reservations, plan and lead the rides etc. The ones we had came about because the same three or four of us ended up doing all the work. After a while that became tiring and we suggested someone else plan and organize the next one. No one was willing to take the challenge so no more happened.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxfun
HI all.
well I am the one that started Burgman meet and greets and rides in the hill country along with Craig back 10 years ago and for the next 3/4 years, then participants reduced in numbers and no one else was willing to jump in and set rides up.
Anyway, I was thinking along these lines over the past few months but I suggest we start with a local meet and greet.

Other comments are welcomed.
Steve
BurgyBill likes this.

--Steve AKA "Wildman" --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Turbo Poster

I'm in Austin and would love to attend something like this.

Heading to the islands...

--------------------------
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Turbo Poster

I like Maxfun's idea and I see exactly where Buffalo is coming from. Which is why I think if we start out small and local here in DFW (hopefully our Austin & San Antonio brothers do the same) it would be a lot more supported and perhaps a stepping stone to something bigger later on, once interest is piqued. Personally (and this is just me) I'm not down with a whole hotel stay, special venue, and super organized stuff that just tires out the organizers to where it no longer is a labor of love but a burden. Well, maybe once a year like we already have with Scooting the Ozarks. Just a simple meeting at a park or gas station or bike dealership and then riding through an interesting area with no preset route. Or blitzing the local Cycle Gear Bike Night, like some friends on maxi scooters used to do in Surprise, AZ when I lived in Phoenix. That would really draw attention to the bikes especially if not too many other kinds of motorbikes showed up. Just some ideas to kick around.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Insane Poster

We could do something along the lines of the Two Wheeled Texans monthly Pie Runs. Pick a restaurant and everyone ride in independently and meet in the parking lot then go in and lunch together. Even that will require someone to do a little organization work though as the restaurant needs to know a group will be showing up so they can be prepared. That becomes even more important if the group is more than just a handful.

If you've never visited the Two Wheeled Texans site it can be interesting. Quite a few Burgman riders are members there and show up for the Pie Runs when they are scheduled in their part of the state. http://www.twtex.com

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Super Poster

As some of the old timers may remember, I organized and ran the rally in Eureka Springs Arkansas, "The Renegade Rally, The One For The Rest of Us"... due to internal politics, and things that don't need to be discussed here, I decided it was WAYYY more trouble than it was worth, especially since I did it from Austin Texas... and the travel and long distance organizing was a nightmare.
With that said, I think we could put something together if there's enough interest. Lots of great hill country riding around here in Travis county and adjoining areas...
If the group thinks there's enough interest, and there would be enough participation, it could be organized locally and Central Texas Centric.
Thoughts ????????

Jac
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

It seems like we have a couple of ideas floating around. Informal "pie runs" in the DFW area and something more formal in central Texas. Personally, I like both. I'm game for a monthly pie run but I really like the idea of a central Texas rally. I'm looking for more excuses to ride any part of the Hill Country and doing it with a bunch of Burgmans would be fun.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.