Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Full Stops vs. Rolling Stops

5K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  AlaskaGuy 
#1 ·
Rather than be uncertain which it will be as I'm approaching a stop sign, on certain intersections (limited viability, heavy traffic intersections, etc.) I now make up my mind as I'm approaching that it will be a full stop for me no matter what. Even as I approach and see no traffic coming, I stick to my "full stop" plan, plant my feet, look and go. This method helps me avoid the "I'm too lazy to put my feet down and come to a complete stop.":)

#2 ·
Here in Austin if you come to a full stop you'll get run over by the car/truck behind you. I go for safety though and get honked at a lot regardless of what the vehicle behind me wants to do. SAFETY FIRST.

#3 ·
I tend to mix it up - with good viz a rolling stop ..with ANY chance I might have to grab a handlful of brake...especially in canted or gravelled intersections I keep my head down and plant the bike and feet ...THEN do the head swivels.

It's too easy to get distracted at that critical halt moment..the 650 is heavy....I like to concentrate.

#5 ·
same down here.

#10 ·
I've heard tale that a judge will dismiss a ticket if you can demonstrate that you can completely stop the bike without touching the ground. It takes a bit of practice, but it can be done. Easier on the 400 though.

#11 ·
There is nothing unsafe about rolling stops on a scooter. I am defining a rolling stop as something between a total stop and a 2 mph roll. Police Departments may disagree.

What annoys me are the stop and roll practices of some drivers. They usually stop again before blocking the lane but not before causing me to hit my brake. I have only been hit twice. Once by someone pulling out of a parking lot who claimed they didn't see me. That was enough to destroy any confidence in scooter visibility.

The trick is to establish eye contact with the cagers that may or may not notice that you have the right of way. If you see them fiddling with their cell phones, assume that you are riding a stealth scooter that can't be picked up on their radar.

#12 ·
I have only been hit twice. Once by someone pulling out of a parking lot who claimed they didn't see me. That was enough to destroy any confidence in scooter visibility.
Don't blame it on the scooter. They don't see anything at all sometimes. I was teaching my son (who turned 30 yesterday) how to drive. He was behind the wheel and we were waiting behind a line of cars at a stop sign.

The vehicle at the front of the line was a minivan which was making a left hand turn. We could see the driver look to the left, then look to the right, then ease out - and get hit by a SEMI-TRUCK which was coming up from the left. It bounced that minivan right across the road and onto its roof.

A wonderful object lesson for the kid, eh?

#13 ·
One of my greatest pet peeves are people who blow the stop signs entering the street from business's, apartment complexes and such. If the street conditions are right, I can balance my 400 at a complete stop for about 5 seconds, but find it just as easy to plant the feet. I don't use a rolling stop because if I did, I couldn't become indignant with those who do.

#14 ·
It's not an issue specific to the ride - it varies according to the region and the cops.

Where I was living, cops were casual; and rolling stops would get - at worst - a warning lecture, if there were no accident. Most times Mister Leo, if he saw, would just scowl and shake the head.

That was in a small town in a region of hardworking Norwegians. Now, I'm in a bigger city, a university mecca populated with escaped Californians. And Mister Leo is FED UP with the stunts he sees.

I have to remind myself, cage or Burg, STOP, follow the law to the letter. There are ticket quotas; no point in making it easy.

It really has little to do with safe driving/riding; I have always been prepared to dynamite the brakes if needed.

#17 ·
Stop means stop. I stop. I exercise full control and come to a stop and ensure I'm looking around me. If anybody is worried about being hit from behind, I advise some Kisan Tailblazer - just keep em flashing. :D

#18 ·
We have very few 'stop' signs in the uk at road junctions. That is, other than red lights. Mostly all our junctions have what are termed 'give way' lines across the road (white broken lines across the junction). This means stop and give way to traffic on the road you are joining if it is not clear. If you can see it's clear, then you don't need to come to a full stop, you can go. Works well. Over here, stop signs are usually only at junctions where you cannot easily see each way. Stopping means you then have to ease out carefully to make a judgement as to whether it's safe. It all works. I've noticed that most of you guys rarely seem to stop at stop signs when I've been over in your part of the world. It can lose us our licence to drive if we do that over here.

#20 ·
If I was too lazy to come to a complete stop and put my foo/feet down I'd have bought an MP3. :D

Those few seconds you could save by rolling thru might mean months in a hospital if you're lucky, or dead if you're not. I never ever let myself get rushed and take a potentially unsafe action like a rolling stop.

#29 ·
If I was too lazy to come to a complete stop and put my foo/feet down I'd have bought an MP3. :D

I have one and it's pretty tricky to come to a stop with the wheels locked. So I still put a foot down, then lock it if there are other cars in the intersection. You tend to loose steering when the wheels are locked and the scoot can tip over pretty easily.:D

I'm really glad I read this whole thread. I for one have been guilty of the rolling stop and the no foot down stop. After so many years of riding I've gotten lazy & complacent. Thanks to all for reminding me once again that Safety comes first at all times. From this point on, full stop foot/feet down. :)

#21 ·
Here you'll end up with a $169 fine if the police see you not stopping for a stop sign.

#22 ·
I don't do rolling stops but quite often I do no foot down stops. There is a "T" stop the other day I came upon. It's not blind but when I did look there was a motor officer sitting back down the side street. By that time it was too late to put a foot down. As I pulled away I kept looking for lights in my mirrors but none appeared. Was I lucky or did he see me come to a full complete stop which I did. Anyway my clean no traffic ticket ever record is still good standing. ;)

#23 ·
The President of the United States has indicated that one may choose to simply not follow the law - so that's the position I am taking as well. I will stop if I deem it is in my best interest to do so, otherwise I will just go through without slowing down (when it is obviously clear), or slow down enough to make it look good if I think smokey may be lurking.

#24 ·
I had a good friend who felt that same way about stop signs. Our riding group warned him, the police ticketed him. Nothing could make him see the light. He bet two wheels against four at an intersection and lost. 30 years later and we still miss the d*mn fool! As far as Zero is concerned, I get better guidance from my pet goldfish.

#26 ·
I come to a full stop with at least one foot down. I also look to see if I am clear of any cross traffic before continuing. Call it what you want but I have survived for over 50 years of riding and it has worked well for me.

#28 · (Edited)
My biggest irritant on this forum, is to hear about scooter riders who are in front of another vehicle, Cowtail to their ideas. ( they honk at me, so what??? With a can of mace, Get off and ask them if they need help??) If you are in front of the vehicle then you are in charge of your vehicle. That other vehicle operater will have to cowtail to your idea until they can pass. These people get behind the wheel and a square box and they become an idiot, they need to read the highway code book. A motorist "does not" have the right-of-way. Pedestrians and cyclists do!

One thing on my hit list is to cruise down the East Coast at 65 mph on their major interstate, and not budge an inch right at 6pm, I want to hear music to my ears of sweet horns and rude gestures from those arrogant mothers, because im free to choose, and I refuse to be a puppet of somebody else's dream, im not breaking any laws at that!

P:s I stop at stop signs.
:whdat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.