Natural Blind Spot - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Insane Poster

my ex had a natural blind spot, she couldn't see the first 2 digits on a price tag I do hope we are not talking about macular degeneration blind spots

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Poster

I had a big blind spot 14 months ago. The entire right eye went blind. Monthly shots in the eye ball and then two months ago, laser surgery and I'm see just fine. I had an anual exam in January and the doc said the vision in the right is better than it was 7 years ago. So I'm down the road again and watching the BP and stress a lot closer.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Super Poster

Everyone has a natural blind spot but it is not large enough to block view of a scooter. Your brain stitches everything together to where we don't know the spot exists. When I was in the service no one ever spoke of blind spots except when on night observation posts without night vision goggles. Since the surrounding area was dark to the naked eye there is nothing there for the brain to knit together so it is imperative to keep moving your eyes so that the effect of the blind spot is negated. Once there is sufficient light at daybreak the effect of the blind spot is of no concern. There are blind spots in my truck, particularly the "A" pillar on the drivers side that is wide enough to conceal a vehicle as little as 20 ft away. I have to be particularly careful about turning left into an intersection at certain angles can conceal an vehicle entering the intersection from the left for scores of yards. I have on occasion cut a corner too close and found myself head up on a car that has stopped In the intersection. A quick pull of the wheel to the right prevents the collision. The vehicle wasn't there when I entered the intersection but was closing on the intersection at the perfect rate to keep it hidden behind the pillar as I looked to the left. It is embarrassing to say the very least and appear, I'm sure, to others that I'm not paying attention. I need to resist the dangerous practice of cutting corners and using part of the oncoming lane of the side street to sneak in ahead of oncoming cars. People do it all the time but it's really dangerous.
Recently, one of our chapter members pulled up to a stop sign and was run over head on by a car turning left. The driver claimed she didn't see the motorcyclist until it was too late to avoid the collision. I have no doubt she simply lost the bike in the wide "a" pillar on her SUV and never saw it. That would have been ok if she had not cut the corner crossing into the lane where the motorcycle was. With manufacturers perusing more stringent crash standards to make the vehicles safer for the occupants the roof pillars have gotten so massive they decrease your ability to avoid collisions by creating huge blind spots no one notices until they smack someone.

If you don't Believe me go out and sit in a late model vehicle and look over at the "A" pillar and you will be astounded how much of your view to obstructs.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 03-07-2017 at 04:02 AM.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 AM
Insane Poster

DO NOT SWEAT the Natural Blind Spot, It does not affect your normal vision. You would not even be noticing it, if it had not been brought up in this forum. Just continue Ride defensively as you have, being sure to look both ways, yielding or stopping where required.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.