50 Ways to Save Your Life - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 PM

COVERING THE FRONT BRAKE

You would think that the idiots at Suzuki or any other bike manufacturer would put the front brake lever on the "LEFT" side to make it easier to use and cover since the throttle is on the right side....little hard to cover the front brake and hold the throttle at the same time. I know that some bikes now have linked braking but not all...like my 2007 Burgman 400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Re: 50 Ways to Save Your Life

majorghn,

Federal law requires the front brake be on the right hand side. It's part of the standards to make sure that position of controls are the same for all 2 wheelers. In the past, Suzuki (and other scooter vendors) had to get an exemption to allow the rear brake to be controlled by the left lever rather than by a right foot pedal. The federal standards were finally amended to allow the alternate braking position for automatic bikes.

Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
'08 Burgman 400 in red - FOR SALE
'13 Honda PCX 150 in red
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Poster

Send a message via AIM to jkoons Send a message via Skype™ to jkoons

I am glad the front brake is on the right. When I first "converted" to the scooter from my HD, I found myself grabbing the rear brake thinking it was the clutch!

2008 Silver Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
Küryakyn ISO Grips - Givi E41 Keyless Sidecases - Givi E55 Topcase - Admore Lighting Kits - Ram X-Mount - Bead Rider - Givi Shield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Insane Poster

Excellent I copied and saved this posting and will reread it often. The number one entry "Assume you’re invisible" deserves to be number one.

From the hills of Tennessee
Welcome to another day the Lord has made
2009 White Burgman 400
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Turbo Poster

Excellent, now where'd I put my list?

No good deed ever goes unpunished!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. (Asimov in the Foundation Trilogy)
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM

Hi -

This is an excellent list. I'm sure it took the author a lot of time to compile. However, I feel that number 19 is incorrect.

Firstly, this list was forwarded to me by my 65 year old dad who absolutely LOVES riding his Burgman. He's raced dirtbikes, done the dual-sport thing, owned big cruiser bikes and a couple of Harley tourers but I've never known him to like any of these more than his Burgman. About me: I'm 39 years old, been riding on the road 20 years and have been a motorcycle safety instructor for eight years. I've taught hundreds how to ride or helped them to improve their skills.

Here are the reasons I disagree with number 19 (always cover your front brake):
- Learning students sometimes forget which is the clutch and which is the brake.
- We still don't recommend covering the front brake even after learning the controls because the extra bit of time (that this list says you're saving by covering the front brake) gives you a split second to assess the situation and overcome the natural tendency to panic. If something happens and you panic, then it's just too easy to grab the front brake first and think second.
- operating the front brake in a panic tends to lock up the front tire (for those without ABS). That's one of the quickest ways to get a close up look at the asphalt.
- It's not possible to properly operate the throttle when four of your fingers are resting on the front brake lever.

At our location, we teach: If you're not using the front brake, your fingers should wrapped around the throttle.

Again, it's an awesome list! Thanks for taking the time to put it together!
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Turbo Poster

Thank you for taking the time to pull this post together. I found this in Oct shortly after joining BUSA and have made it a personal goal to re-read it once a month. It's the best.

k8 B400- chrome rails,Givi windscreen, blaster horn,driving lights, grip puppies, mirror extensions
k6 B650- Utopia backrest, givi windscreen, grip puppies,chrome rails,wrist rest, driving lights, blaster horn, bar weights

Nothing is as powerful as the moment a person learns something on his own.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Poster

Hadn't thought of rereading the 50 tips once a month. Good idea in-fact that is what I will do right now

Ian

07/650 standard Phantom Grey named Jumbo after the Elephant
Wind deflectors, back rest own design on butt rest, headlight and taillight modulators
mueller brackets and Givi e21 paniers

06/400S Black named Ebony
Bearcat back rest
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Super Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlackMoon

Just seeing this.

I wholeheartedly agree with most of the items listed throughout this thread (though I can relate to what MSFInstructor states about covering your front brake, I've just trained myself NOT to pull the right brake in a panic). Having limits in my mobility, driving /riding becomes a whole new level of privilege for me, so I've lived by these rules and others all of my mobile life. I started racing cars on a closed track at 14yrs old, only to have to fight like a dog to get my license at 18, because I was "handicapped" and use both feet to drive. I had to be better, faster, more instinctive and aware than anyone in my class (or that I knew) just to "prove" that I was "capable" of handling a car. As a Law Enforcement Officer, again I had to prove myself better at defensive driving, and vehicle handling.

Now, after over 24yrs of driving, I can honestly say that motorcycle, car, SUV, or 10Ton Moving Van, #1 is true; You are invisible!!

People today don't even try to drive; they get behind the wheel and expect the car to drive itself. They can't park, drive at their own pace without regard to flow of traffic, have no concept of lane control, driving beyond their front bumper, or what a passing lane is used for, have no courtesy or regard for other motorists, and don't even yield right-of-way to emergency vehicles anymore (police excepted, and that's only because they think they may get a ticket if they don't). They drive too fast in the slow lane and too slow in the fast lane, use their horn more for offense than notification, and regardless of what you drive, they will hit you before letting you get in front of them or "cut across" them, even at a traffic light. To make matters worse, the very concept of "Lead by example" is no longer even practiced by our Law Enforcement personnel.

If you always keep this in mind, and always drive as if you expect others to intentionally attempt to cause you to get in an accident, you'll be as safe as you can be with today's motorists.

I'm all for eating, drinking, talking on the phone, smoking, and playing loud music while driving; but first, people need to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE, without the distractions. Most people today, including MOST police officers, can't! Remember that.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Insane Poster

AMEN!
"because I was "handicapped" and use both feet to drive" That puzzles me Blackmoon. I use two feet myself.

From the hills of Tennessee
Welcome to another day the Lord has made
2009 White Burgman 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.