50 Ways to Save Your Life - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gunnphiter
What a great post!!! This post should be read by everyone that uses the road. I can't say Thankyou enough.

Dead bikes leave no trails!
An400K5 Sold to Brotherinlaw
An650K6 (Pugsley) Traded in
VW Trike 1995 (The Pugggmama)
AN400K7 (Pugsley Jr.)
Third Wife- Left high and dry on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

You must develop a "sixth" sense that will warn you of dangerous drivers around you... It will come from experience.

Watch how the car tracks the road. Is it too fast or too slow. Is the driver "twitchy". Do they ride the breaks, speed up and slow down. Do they act nervous? Are they talking on cell or blasting a boom box?

Beware of
Washington state, Minnesota, and Wisconsin plates. Most are snow birds and well over 60 years of age and very poor drivers and assume half blind. Beware of Mexican plates, they probably don't have a license and are very dangerous...

Do not travel in a pack of cars. Blast around them or slow down. If someone rides your bumper and you can't get away from them, pull over to next gas station and take a break...

Pass well clear of stopped cars. A door in your face is not good... Never stop to aid anyone on the road,, very dangerous..

Stay away from large commercial vehicles. Stay aware of all around you and watch your mirrors. A car approaching at high speed is dangerous.. Watch out for cars with no plates, God knows what they are up too.

Always assume a blind curve is dangerous. Watch for leaves, ice, sand, objects, and road kill... Two lane country roads are dangerous, farmer Jones will pull out in front of you with his hay wagon without looking. After all it is his road.
If a car around you makes you nervous, get away from it..

NEVER NEVER, confront a nasty driver. In Arizona you can be shot for giving the finger... Happens all the time around Phoenix..

If you see two cars racing or fighting, pull off asap. Never try to pass them. They could be having a gun battle and you might catch a stray bullet..

A few tips I learned from years of driving 18 wheelers and Trailways busses plus many bike miles...

Tj
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:38 PM

50 Ways to Save Your Life

Thank you for taking the time to create this post. It is always good to remind ourselves how to ride safely and it made me think of things I need to do better.

Blue 2003 AN400

I got it to save gas! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Poster

Good job.

When you receive a kindness, remember it;
when you do a kindness, forget it.

Happy trails,
Poppy
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Poster

Great post. Stay safe!

2005 Burgman 400 aka "Lola"
Blue (new to me)

1948 Cushman
1965 Honda trail 90
1966 Honda Scrambler 305
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Re: 50 Ways to Save Your Life

I like to read this every once in while to see if I have strayed. Proficient Motorcycling has all this stuff and then some. We are always leaning.

Heads up and have fun!
Hap
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM

A Very insightful and helpful article. I'm a brand new rider, just took delivery of my 400 last Friday and the did Motorcycle Safety Foundation class last weekend.

I took yesterday off and decided it was time to take my bike out for a 'fun ride' - I had only driven it to the MSF class and to my friend's house during the week for our car pool. I figured going on mid-morning on a weekday would provide for calmer riding (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, on the peninsula just south of the city along the ocean). Sure enough, less than a minute from my house as I was heading out, an elderly lady came blowing out from the shopping center without stopping at the stop sign when I was right in front of her - she pushed me all the way over to the curb without even seeing me, and I was right along side. I didn't have time to think, just react. I was far enough forward that I felt it was safer to accelerate to get clear versus trying to brake and maybe get pinched off the street completely. I evidently was finally seen by her as she panicked stopped (glad I was forward of her by that point). Based on the way she then crawled through the next stop sign/intersection and up the street I caused her quite a scare. She obviously wasn't trying to harm me - she just never saw me. I figured at some point in my riding I'd experience what everyone talks about, but not so soon!

I have to credit the MSF program, first for reinforcing that this is a real risk and you need to be conscious of it occurring, and secondly giving me the foundation of bike handling skills to be able to react. Anyway, I had a very enjoyable ride down the coast and the rest of my ride was uneventful, although it will be a while before I get comfortable at highway (65mph) speeds. It was pretty windy and I think I'll need a lot more experience before I'll be comfortable with the gusts blowing the bike around (although I continue to be impressed with the handling of the Burgman!) I discovered on the ride that the posted speed limits really are correct (even if the cars behind me didn't appreciate it!) Anyone have any general wind gust riding tips for me?

Thanks!

Doug Johnson
Pacifica CA
2008 Burgman 400
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Insane Poster

dwjohn asks:
Quote:
Anyone have any general wind gust riding tips for me?
Stay loose. Don't keep a "death grip" on the handlebars, you'll just tire quicker and and be uncomfortable.

PJ
Scoot's name: Alfie
E52 Maxia Givi box with light kit, Garmin Quest 2, Givi windscreen, Airhawk seat cushion, Cat "O-ring" cruise control, Grip Puppies, Nolan N-102 modular,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:07 PM

One thing that I've been made aware from riding with others behind me is to be sure to apply the brakes even when engine braking is sufficient to make sure the brake lights come on to notify the traffic behind you that you are slowing down.

You may want to change

Quote:
18. Learn to use both brakes
The front does most of your stopping, but a little rear brake on corner entry can calm a nervous chassis.
to something liked this (changed text bolded and itialicized)

Quote:
18. Learn to use both brakes (Remember that this causes you brake lights to come, informing traffic that you are slowing)
The front does most of your stopping, but a little rear brake on corner entry can calm a nervous chassis.
Todd
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:47 AM

Great post! Thanks for putting it on here for everyone, hopefully will read and take heed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.