Ideas for emergency kit? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Ideas for emergency kit?

I just bought one of those Schumacher RedFuel jump starters for an upcoming trip where our vehicle may be sitting in an airport lot for almost three weeks in the winter cold.
I bought the small unit that is not much bigger than a large phone and can also charge phones and tablets.

I thought this would be a good thing to throw in the Burgman for long trips seeing how there's no way to start it other than a jump if the battery shits the bed.
It would appear that I would need to make a set of small leads from the B400 battery to hook up to. One for the + terminal with a small clip and one longer lead to find a ground somewhere on the bike for the - .

Anyone have any input on this for me? Perhaps there's an easier way? Or something I'm overlooking?

And while we're on it, Is there any product you guys are using in the event of a flat to get you up and running again? I'm thinking one of those "fix a flat slime" kits? Any experiences?

I want to have this all set up to go over the winter. I'm counting on the experience here to help me set this up correctly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
In the past, I have not had any battery issues. I stopped riding my 650 in Oct this year and may have started it once in Nov. On Dec 29 I rode it up 41 miles to have lunch with my old crew and it started a bit slow but it did start.

Some roadside flairs or personal strobe kit is handy. You put one of those strobes under a traffic cone and it can be seen for over a mile.

One or two MSR fuel bottles.

Snacks and water.

Small socket set.

Flat tires YES. I have a mushroom tire plug kit and a small "Slime" air pump I carry on my bike for trips.

Plug Kit

MSR Fuel Bottle

Lightman Personal Strobe
Outdoorsguy likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 01-01-2017 at 06:08 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Super Poster

Ok, everyone's idea of what to carry on trips will vary, but this is what I carry. And you'd be surprised just how small a package this all packs down into. Heck, this is all under my seat all the time actually.

- First Aid Kit
- Small 12V Airpump
- Tire Kit (Slimy worm type plugs, several sizes)
- Small 12V lithium booster battery (recharged @ start of each riding season)
- home-made very small jumper cables.
- Space Blanket (those aluminized type sheets)
- one 6" vice-grips

MP Tool (Metric)
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0161

Metric Allan Key set like this
Outdoorsguy likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Insane Poster

I keep lots of stuff on my B400. I keep a large zip lock bag with a big assortment of mechanical tools in it, plus electrical testers.
Tactical Flashlight(I carry this all the time anyway). Roadside Emergency Reflector. 12 Air Compressor, Flat tire repair plug kit. I keep Ride-On tire sealant in both my tires, Assorted Zip Ties (the large ones are handy if you have to take someone into custody). Electrical tape. Duct Tape. Small Motorcycle jumper cables with a charging plug. (to use the cables, you simply plug the cable into the charging plug on the bike, and connect the other end to an available 12 v battery) A charging plug connected directly to the battery, minimum #10 Gauge Copper Wire for Starting/Jumping Purposes. (Realize that your Battery WILL go dead one day, so be sure to GET THIS DONE BEFORE YOU NEED IT!) i made this jumper cable setup, and when my battery died last November, and I was glad I had it ready, it worked perfect the first and only time I used it so far.
Spare Micro USB Cables.
A stretchy cargo net is also very useful.
Also carry some small spare parts:
Fuses
Starter Solenoid
a few pieces of various insulated wire
On a Long Road Trip, I would carry an extra set of brake levers.
Check these links below out for useful items:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I might think of more stuff later, but this will get you started on being prepared for almost any emergency/disaster.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 01-02-2017 at 01:31 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I bought one of those little jump starter packs. It's not much bigger than my phone. It's the Schmacher RedFuel at Walmart for $48.

Sure enough.....the day after I bought it, the wife's car would not start in -2* weather after work. I hooked it up and it started immediately. The charge setting even still showed 100% after.

I just need to make a set of smaller leads to hook onto the Burgman battery in case I ever need to. Well, only the positive. The negative has to go to another metal source, but I should be able to find something, especially if the lead is made long enough.
Doc Wheezer likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Super Poster

I have a Cruz Tool mid-level set that I carry on group rides. And a MSR fuel can. But me personally, I have road side recovery thru my motorcycle insurance policy. For both the Burg. 200 and my wife's Spyder. I will probably jinx myself but I have only got 1 flat on a bike in my life so if I get one, I will call the roadside recovery. Have used it on a friends bike. Told him to take mine back and told the insurance company I was borrowing his. He had a v-belt snap. Insurance company didnt care, told me it covers any bike that Im using! I do plan on getting some of those new school,tiny led road side markers that do the siren pattern, while waiting for a rescue. Small, bright and light. Will post the brand name when I get them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsguy View Post
I bought one of those little jump starter packs. It's not much bigger than my phone. It's the Schmacher RedFuel at Walmart for $48.

Sure enough.....the day after I bought it, the wife's car would not start in -2* weather after work. I hooked it up and it started immediately. The charge setting even still showed 100% after.

I just need to make a set of smaller leads to hook onto the Burgman battery in case I ever need to. Well, only the positive. The negative has to go to another metal source, but I should be able to find something, especially if the lead is made long enough.

They are great aren't they!
These little "Jump Starter packs" were discussed on this thread
portable battery jump starter

Some members, for some reason, prefer to carry jumper cables and hope for help. Not me. I ride all over the Mojave desert. I can ride for 90 mins. and only see 2-3 cars. That's slim pickens hoping for help while standing there holding your cables in your hand.
I bought my Antigravity brand pocket jump starter two years ago and love it. I have never had to use it for myself. I have used it to jump start other peoples vehicles, a Ford F150 and an Aston Martin at the Fashion Show Mall on LV BLVD.
Needless to say the Aston Martin owner was VERY appreciative to me, so much so I bought a second one for my wife's car

Last edited by Doc Wheezer; 01-22-2017 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Turbo Poster

hey outdoorsguy,
For that Li-ion rechargeable jump starter, why would you consider finding a way to get a permanent connector to + terminal and to a - ground spot? These jump-starters come with alligator clips and aren't they supposed to connect to either the battery or temporarily to the + terminal and a metal spot?

Guess I'm asking why you are looking for a permanent connector for the battery side?

thanks.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Insane Poster

@ E.D. :
Quote:
On a Long Road Trip, I would carry an extra set of brake levers.
Ok, that one wouldn't have occurred to me -- but it's definitely a repair that can be done by the side of the road of something that would leave you stranded (I'm assuming this would be a bike-down scenario; in that case duct tape to temporarily re-attach damaged Tupperware would also help.)

And that's my criterion for "what goes into a bike tool/spares kit".

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Many years ago while riding off road in sand I hit a sharp rock and popped the rear tire. Tube was done. I was over 10 miles from town. But I happened to have a 40 foot piece of hemp rope. So I packed the tire with sand and tied the tire on with logger hitches wound thru the spokes. As long as I went less than 15 MPH it was OK.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.