Camshaft and Tappets safety recall letter? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Camshaft and Tappets safety recall letter?

So I just received a letter from Suzuki that states I need to take my scooter in and have the tappets and the camshaft replaced because it may cause excessive wear and failure which would lead to a crash.

Has anyone else gotten this notice from Suzuki yet?

BTW I have a 2013 650 Burg so I don't know what models we're affected or not?

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
I have the 400 which is not affected, but there are quite a few 650's that are being recalled worldwide due to a possible problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechphotoguy View Post
So I just received a letter from Suzuki that states I need to take my scooter in and have the tappets and the camshaft replaced because it may cause excessive wear and failure which would lead to a crash.

Has anyone else gotten this notice from Suzuki yet?

BTW I have a 2013 650 Burg so I don't know what models we're affected or not?

Ross

The tappet recall letters have been out since November 2015 so this is nothing new, my understanding is that very very few have been found with any issues whatsoever and certainly no reports of excessive engine wear, to my knowledge on all websites I frequent.

This is strictly a precautionary measure taken by Suzuki as any other manufacturer would do who wishes to ensure there are no problems in the future. Camshafts would only be replaced if their is wear on the tappets.

My 2013 had over 26,000 on it, the tappets were in excellent condition, the dealer service manager told me everything was within factory spec's and still look as new, however they are being paid by Suzuki Corporate to change the tappets whether, new, good, bad or indifferent so the dealers are following their instructions and doing their job. In my case as with many other owners this means you are getting a freebee valve adjustment and radiator fluid change and new spark plugs if you have sufficient mileage already and wish to pay for the new plugs install at this time, which is probably under normal maintenance schedule changes a $200.00 to $250.00 freebee that I do not have to pay for.

Spring is now here '' Ride to live another day ''.

"If you ride like lightning, you gonna crash like thunder"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chérie View Post
The tappet recall letters have been out since November 2015 so this is nothing new, my understanding is that very very few have been found with any issues whatsoever and certainly no reports of excessive engine wear, to my knowledge on all websites I frequent.

This is strictly a precautionary measure taken by Suzuki as any other manufacturer would do who wishes to ensure there are no problems in the future. Camshafts would only be replaced if their is wear on the tappets.

My 2013 had over 26,000 on it, the tappets were in excellent condition, the dealer service manager told me everything was within factory spec's and still look as new, however they are being paid by Suzuki Corporate to change the tappets whether, new, good, bad or indifferent so the dealers are following their instructions and doing their job. In my case as with many other owners this means you are getting a freebee valve adjustment and radiator fluid change and new spark plugs if you have sufficient mileage already and wish to pay for the new plugs install at this time, which is probably under normal maintenance schedule changes a $200.00 to $250.00 freebee that I do not have to pay for.
I am going to have to do a little more research on this but from what I am hearing back from my dealership they are going to essentially give me new tappets, a new camshaft, and like you said a valve adjustment, new spark plugs, and such brand new.

I was told that apparently there have been fatalities which is the main reason behind the recall. Again I am going to do some more research on this before saying anything else.

My scoot right now has around 13.5k Miles on it at the moment.

Ross

Last edited by czechphotoguy; 06-08-2016 at 11:34 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechphotoguy View Post
I am going to have to do a little more research on this but from what I am hearing back from my dealership they are going to essentially give me new tappets, a new camshaft, and like you said a valve adjustment, new spark plugs, and such brand new.

I was told that apparently there have been fatalities which is the main reason behind the recall. Again I am going to do some more research on this before saying anything else.

My scoot right now has around 13.5k Miles on it at the moment.

Ross
It may be different in the U.S but here Suzuki pays for tappet replacements, if their is damage to the cam caused by defective tappets Suzuki will then cover a new cam as well, new plugs are not covered, if you need plugs you pay for the new plugs otherwise the old ones are re-installed. The dealer told me that Suzuki covers inspection and labour costs, gaskets if required, tappets, valve adjustment, anti-freeze, also dealers get a set amount of paid time to do each bike I think it is 4 hours on the 650 Burgman, but not 100% positive on that labour time. I know my bike was started on at about 09:00 and a bit after noon received a call that it was ready for pick-up.

Perhaps the many U.S based Burgie owners who have already had theirs done since February can elaborate on what was done on and covered on their bikes.

If there has been fatalities it is a well kept secret as nothing has been published anywhere on any fatalities with the Burgman's anyways and you are the first one on any web site I frequent who has made such a statement.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
I guess after 3 weeks we can safely assume there have been no fatalities !

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM

Is this problem for the 2013--650 models only? Just wondering since I ride a 2012--650.

El Charro

Dennis
Oh Lord, help me be humble after I win the Lottery!

2014 Honda Forza 300
2012 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 400 (sold)
BMW R75/5 (sold)
3 cylinder Kawasaki 500 Mach III (sold)
305 Honda Superhawk (sold)
1952 Sears Allstate scooter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
2013 - 2015 model years. Previous years are not affected to my knowledge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.