Value of riding jacket - Page 4 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
I knew that sooner or later I would make a definite decision to always wear my gear. The question was whether I would make the decision BEFORE or AFTER I went down for the first time.

I decided to do it before. Have never needed it, and hope never to need it. But I'd rather regret wearing it for nothing than the other way around.

BTW, 'tis exactly the same reason I carry a concealed weapon much of the time.

Same here, but I do dread the thought of landing on my weapon.

Stock Burgmans scare me........

2005 Suzuki Burgman 650
Givi V46 Tech top case with Givi quick release brake light kit, backrest and interior lighting kit, with an Admore tail/brake light.
Admore Bark Buster running/turn signal LED strips on front faring.
Kiwi Dave side case racks with Givi E21 cases and Admore universal bi-color side case kit.
Clearview XL, tinted and vented windshield. Pyramid Plastics Extenda Fenda. Kaoko throttle lock. Bestbackrests.com backrest. Airhawk 2.
Admore large tinted smt led light bar. RAM GPS mount for Tomtom XXL. Oznium turn signal reminders. Stebel Air Horn. OPT7 Fluxbeam LED headlight bulbs. K&N Air Filter.
Dryspec Tool Tube mounted on left side case rack. Denali DM Micro Lights mounted on the front fender.
Helmet Hook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Super Poster

Oh boy, I will probably jinx myself but here goes nothing. I have been down multiple times from doing dumb crap (aka-young days) on motorcycles. What have I learned from this? Heat and humidity sucks! I still wear shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, and if the "Fall Devil" wants his payment then he can knock me off the scoot and collect-again. Yes, I know the importance of gear and have seen the results first hand when I worked in a hospital, but heat is terrible! I did buy a new winter textile riding jacket for the cold, and I replaced my chilly weather Corazzo hoody with a Fulmer hoody, but I never wore my Joe Rocket mesh and gave it to a new rider. I guess Im a dummy setting a bad example!
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:40 PM

When I re-entered the motorcycle life five years ago, I excitedly showed my armor to my sister, who immediately replied "If you have to where this, did you ever think 'perhaps I shouldn't do this?'"

We each decide if, when and where to ride. The gear minimizes the risk and so I wear it.

A couple notes: The CE rating on armor indicates if it has passed European Union safety standards. Same rating = same safety level, so pick your clothes for fit, style and price if ratings and types of protectors are even.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/info_p...explained.html

As a woman, I think trying the gear on is really important - we are all shaped so differently. From a safety standpoint, if the armor doesn't fit correctly is doesn't work as well. So please - if you go to a local shop to try something on, buy it there! You may find it cheaper online, but the next time you want to try something on, see it or otherwise check it out, the local shop may be out of business. They will special order if you want a color etc they don't carry.

Thanks to all for the info on cooler alternatives. Has anyone tried the various undergarments that are designed for hot weather?
BurgyBill likes this.

Last edited by GoBigGray; 11-03-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Insane Poster

has anyone noticed that tie body automatically turns off the couigh , sneeze and fart loudly functions when there are broken ribs ?
mverps likes this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
has anyone noticed that tie body automatically turns off the couigh , sneeze and fart loudly functions when there are broken ribs ?
Oh how I wish that was true. I had to have a long flat pillow at hand while I was recovering. I sneezed a lot and with my crushed and damaged left lung I coughed a lot too. I had to hold that pillow real tight to my chest when I had a sneeze or cough. The fart part was a "One Cheek Sneek" affair.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
One year and a month from my crash and the ribs are still hurting. The value of gear is worth what you value your life at. This is whats left of my Helmet and armored jacket:

Attachment 57953

Attachment 57961

Attachment 57969

Attachment 57977

Attachment 57985
Well it has been 1 year and 8 months ago I had that crash. I am totally retired mostly due to it. I am still hurting enough so I can not work as a pole climber. My brain injury has left me with vertigo.

If you look at the jacket pictures you can see the cords frayed out, those are Kevlar fibers.
You can also see the CE armor in the shoulder and elbow areas. Imagine what my left shoulder and arm would look like if I was wearing a light cloth jacket, OR NO JACKET. It was a warm 70 degree day that April 17, 2015.

Wearing gear is a personal choice. But I am in favor of laws that if you do not wear proper gear, your medical coverage is 100% on you or your love ones. The community should not pay for your stupidity.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 12-22-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.