Value of riding jacket - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
As said, you can wear your current jacket and just add inside protection or you can wear a true motorcycle jacket with built in protection. Most of us rode for years w/o proper protection. I would never ride today without some type of m/c jacket with protection.
If you have room in your current jacket these work the charm and are often better than jackets with built in armor.

We and others wear them on their own in hot weather.

I have this one

they are very light to wear and no binding but superb armor including back. You can remove the back and thekidney armor if you wish
Thor and Fox have....others too.
Rusty J and GoBigGray like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 AM
Insane Poster

Living here in central Florida, in the summer the weather can get hot and quite humid. I can't wear any kind of a jacket during the hot weather down here, I feels to me like a sweat box. Though is does get hotter in other parts of the country, the combination of the heat and the high humidity makes me very hot and sweaty. I can't take the heat anymore, which is the main reason that I do most of my riding at night. I wear short sleeves when I ride to stay cool. One thing that I won't do is wear shorts, I always wear a good pair of jeans and boots or sturdy shoes. I have had some Floridians who see me ride comment to me this summer, asking if I am hot, because they thought I was dressed for winter by wearing the jeans. I never have the slightest fear of riding my scooter, even at top speed, she is stable as a rock. I've been riding on and off for almost 50 years, since 1968, and even though we used to always be bustin out butts riding the dirt bikes in the 60's & 70's, I have never had a wreck on the street, never been involved in an accident or ever went down on the street for any reason (knock on wood). Even though I do tend to ride aggressively, I still drive very defensively and always try to be prepared for the unexpected. I never turn my head for a head check without knowing what is in front of me first. I had a few close calls, been run off the road, but survived so far. I know you guys like your armor, which is fine, but I believe it is way better to ride defensivly so that you don't need the armor. Then you say to me, "How do you know that you're not going to need the armor?", and I say "I have faith in myself and in my machine". When I ride with the group, some of the guys wear jackets with armor, some were short sleeves like me, and then there's one that rides with shorts and flip flops! So it takes all kinds I guess.
SumoServices likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Insane Poster

I am sorry but there is a lot wrong with so many of those comments. But to each his own. The last TWO people who told me they were experienced riders and expected to be able to handle any situation to avoid a wreck have ended up in hospital at least twice since from mc crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Living here in central Florida, in the summer the weather can get hot and quite humid. I can't wear any kind of a jacket during the hot weather down here, I feels to me like a sweat box. Though is does get hotter in other parts of the country, the combination of the heat and the high humidity makes me very hot and sweaty. I can't take the heat anymore, which is the main reason that I do most of my riding at night. I wear short sleeves when I ride to stay cool. One thing that I won't do is wear shorts, I always wear a good pair of jeans and boots or sturdy shoes. I have had some Floridians who see me ride comment to me this summer, asking if I am hot, because they thought I was dressed for winter by wearing the jeans. I never have the slightest fear of riding my scooter, even at top speed, she is stable as a rock. I've been riding on and off for almost 50 years, since 1968, and even though we used to always be bustin out butts riding the dirt bikes in the 60's & 70's, I have never had a wreck on the street, never been involved in an accident or ever went down on the street for any reason (knock on wood). Even though I do tend to ride aggressively, I still drive very defensively and always try to be prepared for the unexpected. I never turn my head for a head check without knowing what is in front of me first. I had a few close calls, been run off the road, but survived so far. I know you guys like your armor, which is fine, but I believe it is way better to ride defensivly so that you don't need the armor. Then you say to me, "How do you know that you're not going to need the armor?", and I say "I have faith in myself and in my machine". When I ride with the group, some of the guys wear jackets with armor, some were short sleeves like me, and then there's one that rides with shorts and flip flops! So it takes all kinds I guess.
dogboy likes this.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
. I can't wear any kind of a jacket during the hot weather down here,
The weather is just as hot and humid here in tropical Cairns Australia. The solution is an armored shirt. I've also been riding since the 60s and have not had a come off except in dirt and a recent one of those at 30 kph left me with a damaged tho useable shoulder. I switched from the mesh jacket which was too hot in the rain forest to the mesh shirt with a over sized fishing shirt over it. Works the charm and is cool.
I had left the mesh jacket open ....and my shoulder ended up unprotected in a front wheel wash out. The armored shirt solves the isse of cool and protected.

As we age we don't recover from injuries so well...keep it in mind...there IS a cool solution with armor.

My Arglide pants 3 are cooler by far than jeans. I just pull them over shorts. The armoured shirts look heavy and bulky - they are not and can be worn over a shirt or under ala the motocrossers that the tech comes from.
I skip the kidney belt which is detachable as is the back armour. The arm /shoulder is better than most jackets and it has chest armor which you don't get on most motorcycle jackets.

and it is cool ...especially with a light overshirt which keeps the sun off. I use the Columbia fishing shirts.
http://www.columbia.com/activity-fishing/
Florida colors too
http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-tam...or=499#start=1

Lots of useful pockets, sun protection and big sizes availble ....works the charm in the heat and humidity.
GoBigGray likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Then you say to me, "How do you know that you're not going to need the armor?", and I say "I have faith in myself and in my machine".
Yup, and as the old saying goes.... Pride goeth before the fall.
Or
You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash.

While it's nice to think you are prepared for anything and your skills will keep you out of trouble, the reality is that you cannot control the actions of other users of the road, no matter how good you might feel about yourself. That's what armour protects you from.

Personally I have two armoured jacket, both Joe Rocket. One textile for the cold/cooler months, and a mesh jacket for the warmer months.
I also have a Forcefield Armoured Shirt for wearing under regular clothes/jackets to give me protection. And this Forcefield shirt was what I wore under a long-sleeved t-shirt when I rode 2500km across the Egyptian Sahara in 2013.
I also have Bohn Riding Armour pants for wearing under jeans or other pants to keep the lower body protected.

Yup, I'm ATGATT for sure, but you only get issued one layer of skin and from what I hear, skin grafting is very painful, something I hope never to experience first hand.

mi dos centavos!!!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to fractalmind
I have a Fieldsheer "adventure tour jacket" - with zippable-outable warm lining and waterproof lining, and built-in CE armour. Not exactly cheap, but

It has a bunch of zipper-able vents and such, so that it doesn't seem all that hot to me, even in 90+ degree heat... as long as I'm moving. Plenty of pockets too - which is a help -especially the big back-pocket which is great for holding hi-vis stuff for night-time.

Truth be told, I feel a bit more confident when I wear it on the faster roads - enough to handle the I95 for a few miles at least. It's worked for me in all seasons - it seems to wick the moisture away well enough in summer, and it's big enough to fit a base layer and sweater in winter to enhance the warmth.

The zippable neck protector is a bit fiddly, but does an ok job of keeping the wind off, and the cold out in the cooler months. I prefer having a scarf though when it gets really cold, since that seems to reduce wind noise.

It does have some reflective stuff on it too - which is nice. Not cheap, but I imagine the cost of skin grafts would be a bit higher. I am hoping not to take advantage of it's protective properties in the near future, but - I'd rather have them than not.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 AM
Insane Poster

I always wear a CE jacket, sturdy pants, full face helmet. I do wear clothing with more ventilation in the summer but I'd rather sweat than bleed.

I don't understand the concept of "I cant take the heat." If I found the heat that debilitating, I guess I would have to rethink riding.

But each of us gets to decide our acceptable personal risk level. Each of us gets to accept the consequences of our choices.
SumoServices likes this.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
90K and counting.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada in winter. Southwest Quebec in summer
All riding is a calculated risk. I make the decision on my clothing based on temperature, road, and speed. If it is thirty degrees C and I want to go for a cooling ride on my cottage backroads at 80 kph, the I will wear only a shirt. On a highway I always wear the JR because of increased traffic and speed. In the city, always the JR. If I am leaving the city for a country ride, well, that's where the underseat storage is very handy. I always wear boots because ambulance drivers will tell you that regular footwear is the first thing to leave your body in any accident, especially moto, bicycle and pedestrian. I always wear a full face and jeans or other long pants. Each to his own. I would never criticize anyone for wearing what they are comfortable with. The exception would be a new or young rider who doesn't have the experience to make an informed decision. One last note...chaps...I will never wear chaps for riding...or any other activity.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
I'd rather sweat than bleed.
I don't understand the concept of "I cant take the heat." If I found the heat that debilitating, I guess I would have to rethink riding.
But each of us gets to decide our acceptable personal risk level. Each of us gets to accept the consequences of our choices.
I would rather not sweat or bleed.
Here is what you don't understand about "I can't take the heat" It is a lot more than just about discomfort. There is a lot more to it than that, but for you younger guys and the ones of you in good health, to don't see how it is for people like me.
I have many debilitating health conditions, that cause me all kinds of complications:
Let me see if I can remember some of them:
High Blood Pressure
Diabieties
Coronary Artery Disease
Stage 3 Kidney Failure
Nasal swelling (cant breath through nose, causing throat pain)
Edema (Swelling of Legs and Ankles)
Back and leg pain
Osteoarthritis in both knees
Dyspnea (Always out of Breath)
Anemic
Foot Pain (Nuropathy)
and a few other things.
I take almost 40 pills a day for that stuff, Shots, and suffer a lot of side effects from the meds.
My internal body temperature regulator is out of wack, I often feel cold, and I often feel hot.
I get cold easily, and I get hot easily, so it is hard for me to be comfortable.
I have to ride with bare arms in the summer heat, and then at night I still have to put on a
jacket because I get cold.
So this "I can't take the heat" is a medical condition, a comfort condition and a safety condition.
If I should get too hot, I could get dizzy and pass out, not good on a bike!
John Holbrook likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 08-31-2016 at 11:34 AM.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
broken ribs are among the worst ones, then collar bone and breastbone. ATGATT. when riding on the track I can't even think of going in there without back and chest protector in the leather suit.

speedy recovery!

| GIVI AF266 | Denali D2| BreakAway C.C | Pillion Backrest | Sena SMH10 | Gerbings T5 & Jacket | Fehling Racks | Givi E21 | AirHawk 2 | Fender Extender | MCL Reservoir Cover | K&N Air Filter | Stebel Nautilus Horn | Zumo 350 | Drift HD Ghost |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.