Does anyone feet steer? - Page 6 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

"What I find myself doing now, to some success, is getting the bike into the lean angle going into the turn and then using my feet to correct or fine tune the turn; inside foot for more angle, outside foot for less. Its Like using the rudder pedals of an aircraft. I don't ever remember doing this back in my motorcycle days."

That was from my first post.

For those of you trying what I've described, at no point did I say NOT to use the steering input for cornering, I definitely do use the bars (and counter steering) to get into the initial cornering angle. The difference is that the bars are almost too responsive, a very small input responds with a very large amount of cornering change; it's difficult to make small adjustments. By using my feet in conjunction, the input is less sensitive and therefore I can make small corrections with a fair amount of foot input, like a trim control.

This might be too much for many to bother with, no worries, have at what you're comfortable with. I just like the art/science of motorcycle riding and having as many tools at my disposal. I may not always use them, but I like having them in the repertoire. Thought I'd share.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Poster

You people are killing me! I love the discussion and the experimenting, It makes me want to get on the road & try for my self. Sadly I am still waiting for prats so I can feet steer. Lets be honest it really does not matter if it is real or imaginary if your out riding & having fun.

I wonder if my scooter thinks of me as much as I think of it?
Liamjs likes this.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post

...If I consciously locked my upper body and arms into a fixed position so they could not move even a little, I could push on the floorboard as hard as I wanted with no results. If I let my arms flex even a little as I pushed the bike would turn. If I let my upper body move even a little as I pushed the bike would turn.
This is similar to what I have found. However adding some pressure with your feet can increase the turn OR use the opposite foot to limit it or straighten up once the turn is done. Which is basically what the majority of advice for motorcycle steering is - "primarily using the bars but adding foot/body weighting to increase the turn".

Insert comment here.

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Insane Poster

A little something to think about:
The space station doesn't have any bars to turn but it follows a curved path.

It constantly falls down in a straight line due to gravity. At the same time it misses the earth because of its speed in a straight line.
Two straight lines resulting in a nice steady turn, no handlebars or steering, just a fall in one direction balanced by a speed and an angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.