ABS Brakes vs Non ABS Video - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Insane Poster

When ABS first came out the insurance companies touted it as the be-all end-all of vehicle safety. Crashes would diminish to negligible levels Insurance would become a dinosaur product (well maybe not the last). All that happened was drivers simply factored in any added safety margin and started driving beyond that limit. I have ABS and I like having it. I certainly don't count on it.

The weak link in rider safety is the nut that connects the steering to the seat.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
When ABS first came out the insurance companies touted it as the be-all end-all of vehicle safety. Crashes would diminish to negligible levels Insurance would become a dinosaur product (well maybe not the last). All that happened was drivers simply factored in any added safety margin and started driving beyond that limit. I have ABS and I like having it. I certainly don't count on it.

The weak link in rider safety is the nut that connects the steering to the seat.
While I somewhat agree with your statement. I would have to change it and add
'All that happened was some drivers not all, simply factored in any added safety margin and started driving beyond that limit'.

Proven fact even with more aggressive driving by some drivers/riders Airbags, ABS, Traction Control, Seat Belts. STILL SAVE LIVES. Seat Belts remember how people fought them and still do, same thing as ABS. Maybe that is why we have seat belt laws here and ABS was made law in the EU. Some knuckleheads are still fighting seat belts. Short 20sec dashcam G RATED safe to view, video of driver not wearing a seat belt falling asleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVSQh5MbTo

DaveJ example below, On how fast Stuff Happens:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
A local rider from the Seattle area had a spill last Sat and was released from Hospital Tuesday Morn. He will come on and explain what happened later. All he remembers is looking right to change lanes, did another head check right and woke up with Rescue and police all around. His helmet has glass embedded in it from the SUV's rear window that stopped his forward movement. He said he was doing OK enough.

These can sneek up on ya fast. He was doing most things right with the head checks before turning, but the traffic stopped short while he was looking right.
Be careful out there.
Even tire truck tires shredding in front of you while doing 60MPH will kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
I generally have not needed it in adverse weather but was happy to have when the idjit women in front decided a squirrel had more value than me....open road no traffic - I wasn't following close and she slams on the brakes.....
She DID wave an apology after she checked her kid hadn't hit the windscreen....

I might have stopped in time ....I might have lost it trying to stop in time. The ABS did stop me in time with never a sense of control loss.
It's simply very nice to have in your corner.
Agreed MacDoc, Common Sense says... ABS is Better to have and NEVER need, than NEEDING it even once especially on a bike and NOT having it
gec343 and Mochi like this.

Last edited by Doc Wheezer; 02-25-2016 at 11:15 AM.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Insane Poster

Suzuki has done the right thing and made all Burgman's standard w/ ABS!
jimz, gec343, Quai_Oui and 2 others like this.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
To me, mind boggling that people will buy new touring bikes/scooters without ABS brakes, but will spend tons of money on accessories. Buying secondhand, may be understandable not to make non ABS a deal killer, but still would be for me. I can attest that loss of skin hurts, takes a long time to heal, etc, etc.

No doubt, ABS on my R1150RT saved my bacon once, but wouldn't have helped a bit when I struck a deer with my non ABS Gold Wing in 1997. ABS brakes are very cheap when you consider the possible consequences of not having them if the event arrives. Not to mention the fact that you should recover the cost of ABS when selling.
jimz, Doc Wheezer and cngmike like this.

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) 16,000+ mile
2014 Burgman UH200 (Baby Burgman) 400 miles
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
To me, mind boggling that people will buy new touring bikes/scooters without ABS brakes, but will spend tons of money on accessories. Buying secondhand, may be understandable not to make non ABS a deal killer, but still would be for me. I can attest that loss of skin hurts, takes a long time to heal, etc, etc.

No doubt, ABS on my R1150RT saved my bacon once, but wouldn't have helped a bit when I struck a deer with my non ABS Gold Wing in 1997. ABS brakes are very cheap when you consider the possible consequences of not having them if the event arrives. Not to mention the fact that you should recover the cost of ABS when selling.
It amazes me that a bike as expensive as the Goldwing does not come standard with ABS.
jimz and gec343 like this.

2011 Burgman 650
42000 mi.
"Don't remind me of my failures, I have not forgotten them." J Browne
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Insane Poster

That was 1997 after all....20 years ago near enough. My ST1100 same era did not either. Many Hondas had and have dual linked which is terrific as well.
My CBF1000 has both and I've finally found a machine with better brakes than the Burgman. Being 100 lb lighter and bigger tires doesn't hurt either
gec343 and Doc Wheezer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Turbo Poster

ABS would not be a deal breaker for me, but it's a piece of mind that in a panic stop, it'll protect me from applying too much brake. I ride off road a lot, so braking habits are a world different, so it's easy to Mis judge a little when climbing off one bike to another. I DO NOT want to go down on black top.
My major beef is that my 400 has very weak stopping power to begin with.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Yeah, it's rigged.

If you drive sensibly and defensibly, you'll never need it...
Until you do need it ....then you'll wish you had it.
Should be standard, not an option.....as it will be on 125cc+ in Europe.
Maybe U.S. dealers could work something out, like :
"Turn in a gun for each wheel & get free ABS on both ends."
Make Americans safer, twice.
Nah.
Never happen.
Stig
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Insane Poster

If you ride defensively you will USE ABS less

That isn't the same as never needing it.

No amount of observation or ability can prevent freak events like a 3 storey wall collapsing as you are passing it or somebody else's mechanical failure shooting them into oncoming traffic or an escaping their trying to ram you out of his way.
(I've had all of those)

Ability doesn't make you invinceable any more than ABS does.

But together they improve your odds of survival a bit

Last edited by Bluebottle; 06-10-2016 at 07:51 AM.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Super Poster

I know a former professional and a former amateur road racer, they both ride bikes with ABS that is good enough for me.
Quai_Oui likes this.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.