Winter Washing - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
Winter Washing

Using the Burger all year round in the NE is fun but takes its' toll on the exposed metal due to salty water, freezing temps etc. My front brakes were hit the hardest and I had to take them apart this last Spring. I always wished I could wash the scoot down but the freezing temps of the last two winters ruled that out. When it was warm enough it was just too cold for me to play around with a hose as I haven't been in top physical condition lately. I am sure I have not discovered anything new here as some of you probably already do it but I took the Burger to the DIY car wash and soaped, rinsed and air-dried it. No Wax, you don't need waxy tires or brake discs. I had always thought that the high pressure would do something bad to some part of the bike. I found the pressure was fine and that I could always back away to reduce it when needed. It worked great and gives me a super tool to keep the Burger from squeaking and corrosion. The fact that I can dry it with the blower is much needed icing on the cake as the wet drops would immediately freeze. Best deal around at $3.50 a pop. Oh, the Burger was as happy as a pup with a stick and lookin' good too.
captainfish likes this.

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Nelson Rigg 850 Saddle Bags
Boulevard C50T K8

Last edited by Hammer; 12-15-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: smiley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Poster

I bought a cheap-o power washer from Harborfreight. It was less than $100 and I had a 20% coupon. I ride all year(roads permitting), and have had it for four years now. It takes less than five minutes to hook it up, and wash whichever bike I used. Then I pull the bike into the garage, which never gets below 40*, onto a large piece of cardboard. It can drip dry or if I feel ambitious , I dry it by hand. I only wash it like this after five or six rides, so it's not a hassle at all. Keeps them looking good, and no salt residue worries!

06-650 Exec
06-Majesty 400
93-Goldwing
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
If I had a garage I would definitely consider that. Lugging it up and down three stair landings doesn't work for me. At $3.50 a hot soap & water wash & dry I can do it about 30xs. Four times a winter is six years worth of washing at $100 for the power washer and I'll be 70 by then and in a warmer zone with bigger bugs or bust.
Tromper likes this.

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Boulevard C50T K8

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
That has to be tough winter washing these beasts. Being lucky to live in San Diego, I just usually buy that spray wax cleaner crap and wipe her down every ride. As for snow and salt......dang thats not easy
captainfish likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Insane Poster

Best thing we ever had in Minnesota was a heated garage with a drain in the floor!
Dad would make us wash the cars and bikes regularly all winter long.

ScooteReno aka Steve-a-Reno
Basically Stock
Sheepskin Pelt
2.1 MP3 Stereo
Averaging 70mpg

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootereno View Post
Best thing we ever had in Minnesota was a heated garage with a drain in the floor!
Dad would make us wash the cars and bikes regularly all winter long.
Yes when I lived in Rochester it was cool, moved to CA and was like "y'all garage ain't insulated?!"
captainfish likes this.

SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Super Poster

Just because you don't have a garage, you can still wash it at home. Get one of those plastic garden sprayers from the store. Fill it w/warm,soapy water, pump it up and spray. When you're done, empty it and fill it again to rinse. It will do the job nicely, until it warms up and you can do a proper wash.
captainfish and SpunN16 like this.

06-650 Exec
06-Majesty 400
93-Goldwing
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
Just because you don't have a garage, you can still wash it at home. Get one of those plastic garden sprayers from the store. Fill it w/warm,soapy water, pump it up and spray. When you're done, empty it and fill it again to rinse. It will do the job nicely, until it warms up and you can do a proper wash.
Good idea but too much work. Don't forget I have a ton of stairs to deal with and then the puddle under the bike that will freeze in a matter of hours. Plus I would have to wipe it down by hand.
I love to wash the Burger by hand which gives me an opportunity to to give it a closer inspection but for a few months where it is really inconvenient to do so, I will continue to take it to the car wash. BTW, they just sprayed salt everywhere and a melt is coming so The Burger is going to get it's dose of salt water real soon. I hope to have it out as soon as I can see dry black top on the main streets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160124_163156.jpg (256.4 KB, 28 views)
captainfish likes this.

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Boulevard C50T K8

Last edited by Hammer; 01-26-2016 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Rotate Photo 90 degrees
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Normally the winters here are mild. Right after Christmas we got the storm of the century in New Mexico with Roswell being hit the hardest. I couldn't ride for nearly a week. Once I could there were piles of snow everywhere milting and leaving puddles. Needless to say my Burg is filty! Luckily they don't use salt here so it is just clean dirt. If I get a chance later this week I will wash it.

Here is a pick of my burg right after the first night of snow.

It would be even deeper in if I hadn't shaken the snow off the cover before going to bed.
captainfish likes this.

Insert comment here.

Last edited by speedandstyle; 01-27-2016 at 05:34 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:18 AM

I've always heard that the areas to be careful around with a power washer/car wash wand are the axle/ wheel bearings. High pressure water can penetrate the seals and wreak havoc with the bearings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.