Winter Traction - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
Winter Traction

My clue to maximum tire traction capabilities come from seeing race cars peeling off some rubber just before a race too get more traction. Hot tires stick better, right?. I also remember that somewhere in this forum is a short discussion on getting your tires warmed up before pushing the bike hard. No problem in summer. I ride any way I please. Winter is a different thing for me. I am not sure just how much ice cold asphalt affects the traction. I run Bridgestone Hoops at 26/29. I tend to ride a bit more cautiously on very cold streets but not as cautiously as I do when the streets are wet. I have really no idea how the cold affects the the sticking power of these tires. If anyone has any science on this I would love to hear it. No science?- then tell me if you notice a difference between warm and cold weather traction. I would really like to enjoy my winter rides a little more but tend not to get the bike leaned over as far as i would in warm weather. So I would like to know if we get the same traction in winter on dry roads as in summer. Thanks

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Nelson Rigg 850 Saddle Bags
Boulevard C50T K8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Insane Poster

In general, the warmer the rubber (thermally) the softer the tire. The softer the tire, the more able to conform to road irregularities and this conformal characteristic at the tire/road interface is a significant contributor to traction.

But when you are as wimpy as I, you rarely approach any kind of limit. I know that on warm dry roads the scooter will hit the hard parts before I'm near the traction limit. I'd guess that the same is pretty close to true at any kind of temperature you would ride in. As conditions become marginal with loose debris (e.g. sand, rubble etc.), this warm/cold difference may be more apparent.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Turbo Poster

I wonder the same thing. I did a lot of cold weather riding this season and never pushed it in the cold in fear of traction loss in a lean. I am more cautious when i first get on the bike in the morning, vs later after getting off the freeway during cold weather for example because I know the tires are warm.

I am curious to those in the know...

2004 Burgman 400

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Insane Poster

Softer is better but there may also be more debris around this time of year from leaves to grit so taking it easy is in order
Burgman 650 a good cold weather bike.

Nice January ride a couple years back

Foot protection in particular - could have used it today....chilly toes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Insane Poster

Race tyres aren't the same as road tyres.

Race tyres need to be hot, they have different properties and rely on being "sticky"
(most race tyres also only last a single meet - or less)

Road tyres need to be warm only and will be damaged by high temps. They are warmed by the internal stresses as they roll and conform go the road surface.
That is why higher than posted pressure stops your tyre warming to the correct temp and reduces grip. Low pressure causes overheating because the tyre flexes too much.

If you know your tyre's correct operating temp you can use it to set the correct pressure.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Insane Poster

By the way, there is no point weaving your bike like you see the race cars do.

They aren't looking for friction, they are distorting and stressing the sidewalls so they heat from inside as they get displaced sideways.

Bike tyres lean so they stress differently.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Softer is better but there may also be more debris around this time of year from leaves to grit so taking it easy is in order
Burgman 650 a good cold weather bike.

Nice January ride a couple years back

Foot protection in particular - could have used it today....chilly toes.
Love the pictures and looks cold!

SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Poster

Well, living in a cold climate we all know that +7C is the crossover temperature at which all-season tires loose their traction compared to specific winter tires.
By the time you get down to -14C, summer type tires have lost virtually all their grip.
Also, black ice can form from roughly +3C and down.

So those are the critical numbers we know up here in Canada.

Without a doubt once you get below +7C the tire will be likely to slide on you and frankly, because of the cold pavement temperature you'll simply never be able to get the rubber to "warm-up" to a point of providing any sort of good grip.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Poster

As an all weather rider living in the snowy north east, a little common sense goes a whole lot further than soft compound tires or worrying if they're warmed up.

06-650 Exec
06-Majesty 400
93-Goldwing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_YYZ View Post
..... all-season tires loose their traction compared to specific winter tires.
+1
Winter tyre compounds stay supple to lower temps

Last edited by Bluebottle; 01-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.