New Member Propriety - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

New Member Propriety

It would be nice if new members were strongly encouraged by the site as they are signing up and when composing their first post to start with an introduction and to fill in a location on their profile. It just seems like good manners/form and seems to be lacking more and more as of late. When one starts out with "I have a question" as their first post it just bugs me (a little, not earth-shattering), as many others here feel so as well. Also, while no one wants their privacy compromised, stating what city and/or state one lives in wouldn't end up doing that. Some folks have given their age or birth year and yet were worried about filling in their location???
Anyway, just venting a little and for the record I was just want to reiterate "strongly encourage" via the sign up software process, that's all. It probably shouldn't be a prerequisite to sign up.
What say you all (long time and not so long time members)?
jeff_MDR, gec343 and Rackets like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Insane Poster

Very true. It helps to have a little info. Bike owned, mileage, location, model year, etc. it helps in diagnosing problems as well. For instance CA bikes have an extra fuel vapor release valve that other states don't. Could be important for FI problems. When I experienced FI issues, I was told to get a CA throttle body.
BurgyBill and Rackets like this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Insane Poster

Hi,

My name is Bob.....and I am a scooterholic.

I have been using since I was...20 years old. I started small....you know...not very much. But i was hooked right away....that was over 20 years ago.

I was able to give it up for many years, but the yearning and hunger was always there...and one day, I went into a store...you know, just to look around. I wasn't expecting to buy. But I did. It was an impulse buy...but I bought all I could. I have been using virtually daily (in good weather), ever since. That was in 2001.

Since then, I have gone on several long benders. One was for some two months, and when it was over, I had travelled more than 15,000 miles. I had no idea it was possible to use so much in such a short period of time!

My use has become very expensive too. In 2013, I started using twice as much every time I used (500cc instead of 250cc). At times, my use causes me financial pain. Sometimes, I seek out others to use with, but mostly I use alone. Sometimes, I use so much that I don't come home for several days and when I do, my wife is annoyed. Sometimes when I use, I end up in a tent in the woods and smell like burned wood and smoke.

I can't seem to stop using. Some days, it's all I think about. I spend all day planning to use....and then I use. Sometimes, I don't use, but I spend all evening alone with it in the garage, thinking and thinking, planning to use in the future...and then I come inside and my wife is annoyed.

I'm thinking of using right now. I know I will be using tomorrow. I use on the way to work. I use on the way home from work. I use when I am just sitting in traffic. Sometimes, I break the law when I use. Sometimes, people honk their horns at me and tell me to stop using the way I do. Sometimes, I honk back.

I know I'm a user. Sometimes, I think I should stop, but I don't. I just keep using. My wife says that if I want to buy more to use, I will have to give up what I am using already. That doesn't seem fair - my garage holds plenty!

My use is expensive. I have spent a lot using lately, probably some $1000 on various items to help me use just in the last month alone! But that is unusual. However, I'm getting ready for a ten day binge where I will use every day. I will be using with my brother during that time. He uses a different brand than I do, and he doesn't use as much, but together, we will be using quite a bit.

I'm not ashamed of my use, even though people sometimes make fun of me for using. They just think I should use something else, even if they don't use themselves. Not sure what sense that makes.

I know I should stop using....but I just can't. I have used in three countries. I have used in most every state in the U.S and every Canadian province and most of its territories. I keep a map of where I have used and this summer, I will fill in a lot more of it. Eventually, I know I will use in every state and then the map of my use will be complete. But I will keep using anyway. Because I am a user and I cannot stop using.

My name is Bob, and I'm a scooterholic.
jeff_MDR, cheap0, SteveG and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 06-01-2016 at 10:53 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Well, if you look in Auburn Washington for any Dave J's there are dozens of us. Is my last name Jenkins? Johnson? Johnston? Jennings? Jetson? Jensen? Jenson? James? ????

Heck, for all you know, Dave was my dogs name and my real name is Fredric S Knopic VII.

And do I live in the city or the sticks?

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 06-01-2016 at 10:54 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Hi,

Hhhiiii Bob...

Age old story. I actually became a pusher; I run a group just to get my fix and bring new ones into the habit.

Someone repeat the serenity prayer. Lol

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Well, if you look in Auburn Washington for any Dave J's there are dozens of us. Is my last name Jenkins? Johnson? Johnston? Jennings? Jetson? Jensen? Jenson? James? ????

Heck, for all you know, Dave was my dogs name and my real name is Fredric S Knopic VII.

And do I live in the city or the sticks?
So then, you need not be worried about your privacy being compromised, correct? Liamjs' point is well taken. It can help to know.
AK guy: See that wasn't so hard now was it?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post

With all the usual apologies

"God grant me the Serenity, brains, (and cojones ), to accept this forum's help for the Burgman parts
I cannot change by myself.
Courage to attempt to change the parts I can (without seeking help)
Wisdom to know the difference"
Rusty J likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Linda D Yorke Send a message via MSN to Linda D Yorke
I just joined today. Was a good girl and filled all information in. Sorry I did start with a question?

Linda
Desert Rat, cheap0, gec343 and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Hhhiiii Bob...

Age old story. I actually became a pusher; I run a group just to get my fix and bring new ones into the habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgisKing View Post
With all the usual apologies

"God grant me the Serenity, brains, (and cojones ), to accept this forum's help for the Burgman parts I cannot change by myself.
Courage to attempt to change the parts I can (without seeking help)
Wisdom to know the difference"
1. We admitted most scooters are relatively powerless.
2. Came to believe that a bike with a Power button next to the turn signal switch could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn with a little extra countersteer due to the bike's low center of gravity, and take care in using OD (as we understood OD).
4. Made a fearless and searching T-CLOCK of our scooters.
(etc.)

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...

Last edited by Rusty J; 06-04-2016 at 03:14 AM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
I have my scoot details in my profile but it doesn't show in my posts !!

Suzuki TS185 road trail (sold) ; Suzuki GT250 custom with 350 barrels (sold) ; Suzuki GS1000e 1980 (sold) ; Honda VT750 cruiser (traded ->)
Honda Hornet 900 (sold) ; Yamaha XS850 triple (sold) ; Yamaha XT500 (sold) ; Burgman 650 2003 (stolen) ; Burgman 250 2003 (traded ->)
Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold) ; Vespa GTS300 (traded ->) ; Yamaha Tmax 500 (sold) ; Suzuki V-Strom 650 (sold) ; Present Burgman 650 2014

Last edited by Greg; 06-07-2016 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.