New Member Propriety - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

AK guy, I think the key here isn't whether or not it'll be required or verified, but rather the common courtesy of it. For instance, if we are all at a dinner party (which a friendly forum sort of is analogous to) and you walk up and introduce yourself (or I'd hope you do), you might give a circle of people gathered your name and if participants are from all over (where different regional accents are even detected) you might even say where you're from. The more elusive you might be about it, dodging questions about who you are and where generally you are from, the more it seems to draw strange attention to your "secret" and people will look at you cross, perhaps even trusting you less.

Now are we going to grill the guy that walked up and say "Now how do we know you're really from New York" (said with narrowing suspicious eyes). "Why don't you produce a driver's licence, utility bills, etc". The folks standing around would be real creeped out. No one is going to push people into a confessional at a dinner party. But we take your word for it because that's just normal. And yet you still offer it out of common courtesy, that's all. Then we know how to tailor our conversation to you.

Notice my example was one of an informal setting. I was once in a fairly close knit group of friends where one lady was very elusive about where she lived it drew attention to it. We oftentimes joked about her, some saying she worked for the CIA and myself saying her home was the "Bat Cave". Anyways, we stumbled onto it one day. I didn't spread the location, because that was her call to make, but for the life of me I thought she was ridiculous for hiding a decent home from all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
For instance, if we are all at a dinner party....
A dinner party is a completely different thing than an internet forum.

Quote:
The more elusive you might be about it, dodging questions about who you are and where generally you are from, the more it seems to draw strange attention to your "secret" and people will look at you cross, perhaps even trusting you less.
I guess I look at it the other way. Why does someone need to know so badly, and why does it matter?

If, for example, you come on to the forum needing help with whatever it may be - for example, a GPS mounting solution....and you ask, "Hey, I'm looking to mount a GPS on my B400, does anyone have some ideas?" - I can't imagine what difference it possibly makes who you are, or where you are from, or what your occupation is, or how many miles are on your bike, etc. I can't imagine that I will "trust you" less if you refuse to provide this information - as if you are running some kind of big scam with an unknown purpose of agenda. I mean, really. I either have an answer for you and I am inclined to provide it to you, or not.

Quote:
Notice my example was one of an informal setting. I was once in a fairly close knit group of friends where one lady was very elusive about where she lived it drew attention to it.
Some people guard their privacy a lot more than others - and you never know what their reasons may be. Besides which, people reveal a lot more than they realize when they reveal a collection of seemingly innocuous facts. Given enough random, unrelated anonymous facts about someone, you'd be surprised how easy it can be to pierce that anonymity.

Quote:
but for the life of me I thought she was ridiculous for hiding a decent home from all of us.
...and she may have found it equally ridiculous that you thought about it so much and that it mattered even in the slightest to you (:
ucwinters likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I can go with that, as long it's not a requirement.
Yes

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I lie about my location, education and age on facebook, and block as much info as possible. My friends know who I am, the advertisers and snoopers don't need to know.

Privacy is becoming a precious commodity, and like personal time, I protect it.
On this type of web site I really do not see any reason to lie as you are not posting publicly your complete name, address or phone #, or other important personal information, most of us use a nick, supply only a city, area, region or state, an e-mail address which normally is specifically dedicated to this type of stuff and which you could change to anything else at any time should you become overburdened with unwanted e-mails or junk.

As an example it is pretty difficult to find out who is behind the nick
rubber burgie, location: New-York, 2007 Burgman 650 Executive and sign a post with your first name or obtain other info on rubber burgie via the e-mail: rubberburgie@gmail.com

I have seen here people answering a post actually list their phone # or an address, now that should never be done unless it is via a PM or other non public method.

Etiquette, courtesy and politeness is severely missing in todays world, however I believe it starts by completing a profile like here on BUSA when you are or become a member.

Should you strike up a friendship or wish to exchange information for a transaction, ride, weekend or other then both are all parties concerned can start their true exchanges behind the scenes.

Spring is now here '' Ride to live another day ''.

"If you ride like lightning, you gonna crash like thunder"

Last edited by Chérie; 06-08-2016 at 05:43 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Insane Poster

It amazes me that this is even a topic (:

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
I see you just (finally?) listed your State. Thanks.

Yesterday I was wondering why AlaskaGuy lives in Pittsburgh.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Like many others here I do not see why it should not be a topic !

Spring is now here '' Ride to live another day ''.

"If you ride like lightning, you gonna crash like thunder"
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
I guess I look at it the other way. Why does someone need to know so badly, and why does it matter?

Some people guard their privacy a lot more than others - and you never know what their reasons may be. Besides which, people reveal a lot more than they realize when they reveal a collection of seemingly innocuous facts. Given enough random, unrelated anonymous facts about someone, you'd be surprised how easy it can be to pierce that anonymity.

...and she may have found it equally ridiculous that you thought about it so much and that it mattered even in the slightest to you (:
As to our friend years ago, I can tell you, we all were a real close knit group. If you only knew her like we did you'd know we weren't being overly preoccupied about it & nosey, really, as we all knew tons about each other (that's all I'll tell you, ha). Again, just like the imaginary dinner party guests would probably not push if someone held back, they'd just give each other the eyes saying like "Drop it, don't go there, we're not asking for a dossier from this dude, just a general description of himself, his evasiveness is just weird. Let it go".

As for the summation of innocuous facts, we all find that even the most guarded of members on here present us with many facts about themselves. A new member might say that he's looking for a good mechanic by him or he wants to sell his bike or even ride with others. Then the first response by one of us usually is "Where? You don't have a profile location filled out so how do we know what to answer you?" To which he usually answers "Oh, my bad, I'm in Omaha, NE (or wherever)". Sound familiar? Such a person probably could have saved a step by just filling that out in the first place. Even if he started out wanting to be guarded, the nature of seeking help on here oftentimes will eventually come to work against such a principle. Why dig in real hard about it. Almost always it will in time be given up, especially when they come asking for help. And many just give up their age because they think our age polls are cool and want to be a part of it, too. Not to mention its very likely that by far the vast majority who don't fill out their profile are not against doing so on principle, they just need a friendly reminder to do so because it was just simply never brought out in the sign up process. For the tiny minority standing on a privacy principle, I maintain it shouldn't be mandatory, but encouragement still needs to be there just for the majority for whom it was a simple oversight. Really most just are so eager to post about a question or their excitement about riding again, that they just didn't pay attention to the profile fill in stuff. Just encouragement not being placed in the rack.

This is a fair topic about courtesy and manners, as the majority of responses from the longer term members on here have maintained.
jeff_MDR and gec343 like this.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 06-08-2016 at 07:15 PM.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
Yesterday I was wondering why AlaskaGuy lives in Pittsburgh.
It is because my wife's sanity is questionable (:

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Super Poster

I am a moderator at another site. I see some big differences between that site and here.
The 'who and what' isn't as big of a deal. In fact, no one has to tell where they are. Can't see why it maters here either unless they are having trouble that is affected by their location. Maybe gas is different in different country or their altitude makes the engine run different, but otherwise, little differs by location.

At the other site, the member can tell what they have-if they have a specific question about what they own. General questions can be handled without details about the member.

Certainly here, if there is a question related to a 400 vs. 650 or old vs new, there may be something that will have to be specified, but that can be part of the post. It is not needed in the member's profile. Nice-certainly, required-no.

Another difference between the site where I am a moderator, if people posted as nasty there as is done here, there would be infractions or in some cases, members would be banned. The sarcasm and name calling would not fly at all there. This is part of the reason I don't live on this site as many others do. It is not a welcoming group.

That being said, there is a lot of valuable information here. People like LeDude and McBurgman (and I probably have spelled both incorrectly) are great resources. I will search and research, but only visit when I am looking for or into information, don't post often and rarely ask questions. It is easier to search than ask.

Vintner
2014 Burg 400.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.