Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

why no temperature guage?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gene phares 
#1 ·
I was just wondering why my 2012 650 does not have a real temperature guage. I am thinking of finding a way to put one on. I need to know if my Burger is running hot or beginning to run hotter.

#3 ·
No temperature gauge! That's got to be one of the most idiotic things I've heard of yet. :confused: :mad:

#4 · (Edited)
Apparently it has an idiot light to indicate when your engine is overheating. Not my idea of good instrumentation.

However, I've never seen my coolant temperature gauge move even half a MM from center once its warm, never, not once. Not matter how hot or cold the ambient temp was. The cooling system is THAT good.

So, to the designers credit, dare I say, an idiot light is all that is needed. But I'm glad they put a gauge in the new model. Just doesn't seem like a burgman without it.

Dannyboy, I wouldn't fret about it. It really never changes. Even in my 400, I hadn't replaced the coolant in 7 years. It never moved off center and I live in one of the hottest places in the country. But if that idiot light DOES comes on, make a b-line to the shop.

#5 ·
Liamjs your points are all valid and true. That said I still prefer a gauge. Heck I think an amp gauge or at least a volt meter should come stock. I know they probably do it to help keep the price down. I still haven't forced myself to come off the $50 or $60 to add a quality voltmeter on any of my scooters so I guess I understand why they need to try to keep the price down. I don't understand why a good voltmeter cost so much, but I have yet to find a good voltmeter that was cheap. I guess you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
You know Suzuki brought back the gauge in the new model, so I don't think it was really cost that was the determining factor. Probably aesthetics was their goal, having a nice clean dash might have been their motivation for 2012. But complaints forced Suzuki to bring it back. The temperature meter does take up a fair amount of room. Just guessing...

Hope you find a suitable gauge cluster.

#8 ·
temp gauge

if you ever have a fan fail or a slow loss of coolant you'll see the gauge is valuable. it helps you get home when you are 1000 miles away with no cooling fan at 95 to 100 amb. temperature. I've used mine twice like that. run it till it gets to 4 bars then cool it back down. tells when to shut it off at red lights. my 2¢

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.